Upgrade 8 months ago and now E* wants my 811

soccerdude

Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I upgraded from the Dish 811 to the Dish 622 DVR 8 months ago (2/15) and this week (10/8) I receive a box from Dish Network asking for my 811 receiver. I no longer have this receiver after storing it in my garage for over 6 months. I immediately called Dish Network and asked what was going on. The CSR explains that I need to return my 811 or be charged $100 and that this was all explained to me over 8 months ago. I proceed to explain that this is ridiculous as I was under the impression that this was my receiver and that an insane amount of time has passed for them to be asking for my receiver. I was instructed to write a letter to the Dispute Resolution Team of Dish Network for further discussion.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

I don't know if you have a leg to stand on but when I upgraded my 811 to a 622 a couple months ago they told me on the phone at that time I'll need to send the 811 back to them and I had the box to do it in a week.

More than likely it was a leased receiver from Dish Network... as Dish Network has been doing the lease program for a couple years now... actually I think the lease program has been going at least twice that long.... if not longer.... check your paperwork and it does state you have to return the equipment or pay for it.

Chances are you're going to have to pay for the unreturned receiver. It is odd though that it took them this long to realize that they hadn't received it. They normally pick up on that pretty quick, usually within a couple weeks.

I upgraded from an 811 to 2 vip 211's around 10 to 12 months ago. I was told that I was not required to return my 811 since it was mine. they sent me boxes for the 811 and my 7 year old receiver cant't remember the number. I just ignored the boxes and have not been charged. Just using the boxes to store the old receivers in the basement.

I upgraded from an 811 to 2 vip 211's around 10 to 12 months ago. I was told that I was not required to return my 811 since it was mine. they sent me boxes for the 811 and my 7 year old receiver cant't remember the number. I just ignored the boxes and have not been charged. Just using the boxes to store the old receivers in the basement.

For owned receivers, you can return them and they'll give you $10 or $20, or some small amount, I can't remember exactly. When I upgraded and dropped my 10-year-old model 3000, they asked if I wanted them to send a box to return it.

In my case, I returned the 811 within a week... and after a couple months they called me a left a nasty message regarding my obligation to return the 811 and that they would charge me for it.
Luckuly I printed the tracking log of the package up to their warehouse and have filed it. So I call them and after they threatened me again I ripped their assses and I ended up with some credits for the unconvenience.
So bottom line, even though this does not apply to you in this case, always don't trust Dish and make a copy and save every document.

I was told that I was not required to return my 811 since it was mine. .

That's the difference between your case and his. You evidently owned yours, his was a lease from Dish. I think there are a lot of people who think they own the leased equipment, especially when they have to pay a $100-200 upgrade fee for a HD DVR or HD Dual tuner.

When I upgraded my 811 and another receiver to the 722, I had to return them. But I had the boxes for them before the new 722 was installed!

Thanks for all the responses! I am getting ready to write them a letter and plead my case. The receiver was sold a couple of months ago. Maybe the guy who bought it went to activate the reciever and that triggered something in Dish Network's system.

Actually, the guy who bought it should NOT have been able to activate it and it's surprising that he didn't contact you about this.

My parents upgraded their 811 for a 622 about 4 months ago. They said they would send a box to return the 811. Several weeks later my mom called again asking for the the box. They never sent it. They haven't been charged. The 811 is just sitting in their closet taking up space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts