Upgrade from Hopper 2 to Hopper 3.

Can he use the DPH 42 switch to introduce the hybrid side along with the solo hub and continue to use his present dish and LNB?
If he has 3 lines coming from the LNB, but jeez, I get being a do-it-yourselfer, but sometimes it's just easier - and better to just have a tech come and do the upgrade. And here's something else to think about. We're slow as hell with this virus. Next-day appointments are common and the tech could really use the money

I only have one TV. Why would not DISH advise it?

How does one bypass the solo hub?

Just want to not have to pay DISH 150.00 to do any installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Supposedly, the Hub prevents Moca back-fed to the LNB, but I haven't seen that issue actually happen. The Tuners are not in the Hub, they're in the Hopper. And bypassing the node may get all your sats, but run a check switch and you'll only have 2 tuners instead of 3.

Here is what I read.

“How can you upgrade to the Hybrid dish?

Start by getting the Eastern Arc Hybrid (Slimline) LNB if you’re on the right side of the country or Western Arc Hybrid (Slimline) LNB if you’re on the left side. It’s very easy using a screwdriver to disconnect the old LNB, disconnect the cables coming from it, and reconnect the new LNB. I usually mark the position of the dish’s aiming bolts (found on the back and bottom) with a marker or pencil to make sure I don’t accidentally move them.

If you have only one cable coming out of your dish, this is the easiest option. However, if you have multiple cables coming out of the dish it is usually easier to upgrade to the DPH42 multiswitch instead. This multiswitch gives an older dish Hybrid capabilities and it can often be an easier install. With a DPH42 you don’t need to know if you need an Eastern Arc or Western Arc LNB. You’re leaving your existing LNB in place.”

Here is a photograph of my switch hookup.

f8bec3914657d1d34507965dd901e636.jpg

The 1000.2 LNB does not fit the 1000.4 bracket and t he slimline LNB uses a completely different bracket. You need a Hybrid LNB and you need a new Dish to support the new LNB. There is no way around it unless you use a 42 switch on your existing Dish and I'm assuming there's only 2 lines coming from that Dish, not 3, like you'd need for the 42 switch

If he has 3 lines coming from the LNB, but jeez, I get being a do-it-yourselfer, but sometimes it's just easier - and better to just have a tech come and do the upgrade. And here's something else to think about. We're slow as hell with this virus. Next-day appointments are common and the tech could really use the money
I hear ya! Now just to advance the 3 line thought, my 42 switch is actually located at the dish location itself. I already had a dual cable run to my garage where everything comes together. The hub and power supply are in the garage along with the all the coax cables feeding the receivers. I’ve been set up that way for several years and it continues to work well.

Reactions: HipKat
The 1000.2 LNB does not fit the 1000.4 bracket and t he slimline LNB uses a completely different bracket. You need a Hybrid LNB and you need a new Dish to support the new LNB. There is no way around it unless you use a 42 switch on your existing Dish and I'm assuming there's only 2 lines coming from that Dish, not 3, like you'd need for the 42 switch

You are right just two lines. My plan is to get the 42 switch. Would be the easiest way.

I hear ya! Now just to advance the 3 line thought, my 42 switch is actually located at the dish location itself. I already had a dual cable run to my garage where everything comes together. The hub and power supply are in the garage along with the all the coax cables feeding the receivers. I’ve been set up that way for several years and it continues to work well.

What I will do is hook up the 42 switch up where the duel node was hooked up.

So you also have the hybrid solo switch hooked up as well?

Why does the 42 switch need a power supply?

The 42 switch requires three coax runs from the dish to the switch. Yes, I have a solo hub hooked up, it’s required for my Joeys. The 42 switch needs power so that it can send voltage to the LNBs.

The 42 switch requires three coax runs from the dish to the switch. Yes, I have a solo hub hooked up, it’s required for my Joeys. The 42 switch needs power so that it can send voltage to the LNBs.

I do not have any Joeys. I only have one tele set so I won’t need the hub. Does the power plug come with the 42 switch?

I just read this.

‘’DISH brings even more function to Hopper 3 DVRs with the introduction of the DPH42 multiswitch. This new switch will let you have two Hopper 3’s, each with six Joeys, from a single dish. It’s been rumored for several months and while it won’t be available until January (that’s what they tell us) it was shown here at CEDIA as part of a commitment to the custom install market.’’

Like I wrote I only have one Hopper 3. Actually waiting for it arrive. No joeys.

So I won’t even need the 42 Switch.

I just read this.

‘’DISH brings even more function to Hopper 3 DVRs with the introduction of the DPH42 multiswitch. This new switch will let you have two Hopper 3’s, each with six Joeys, from a single dish. It’s been rumored for several months and while it won’t be available until January (that’s what they tell us) it was shown here at CEDIA as part of a commitment to the custom install market.’’

Like I wrote I only have one Hopper 3. Actually waiting for it arrive. No joeys.

If you want to continue with your present dish and LNB, yes you will. It’s the only way to bring hybrid technology to the Hopper 3 without a hybrid LNB which will not fit correctly on your present dish. Now, I’m finished here.

Because it's a switch. Switches need power

You're not paying attention.
You have 2 choices for a Hopper 3. A new 1000.2 Dish with a HYBRID LNBF or the current dish with a 3rd cable coming from the third output on the LNBF to a 42 switch, WITH a power inserter.
That's it. There is NO other way to make a Hopper 3 work. None, zero.

It’s the only way to bring hybrid technology to the Hopper 3 without a hybrid LNB which will not fit correctly on your present dish.

Well, if you want it done right. But my installer just made the hybrid LNB fit on my existing 1000.4. I didn't see how he did this, but I get very little rain fade: approximately the same as my original 1000.4 installation. I am happy. Who needs an ugly black dish up there?

Well, if you want it done right. But my installer just made the hybrid LNB fit on my existing 1000.4. I didn't see how he did this, but I get very little rain fade: approximately the same as my original 1000.4 installation. I am happy. Who needs an ugly black dish up there?
The only Hybrid LNB's you can get now are Slimline - they have no chance of fitting that bracket

Reactions: dweber
I like the black antenna over the gray one. It is far sleeker.