Upgrade question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Hey guys, my brother is thinking of upgrading to HD. He's a long time DTV customer. He's currently got a SD DVR that is acting like its' on it's last leg and, a plain jane sd box. He's thinking of getting 3 HD DVRs. Anyone care to speculate on what kind of deal he can get?

Hey guys, my brother is thinking of upgrading to HD. He's a long time DTV customer. He's currently got a SD DVR that is acting like its' on it's last leg and, a plain jane sd box. He's thinking of getting 3 HD DVRs. Anyone care to speculate on what kind of deal he can get?

Best bet would be to call D* and ask.

yep just call them. If you dont like the answer hang up and try again. :) You might get a different answer

Also, by going through DirecTV he'll get a new dish (Slimline) and possibly with the SWM LNB.
This would also most likely get the HR24 DVR. He should ask for the Whole House DVR installation as well.
May even get them to cut a deal on that as well.
With Whole House he may want get an HD receiver instead of a DVR as this can stream shows from the DVRs.

Hmm good suggestions. I'm sure he is going to call at some point. I thought maybe I could get him some good tips from here. I don't think he would want to pay for whole house DVR service. Doesn't that get expensive? Would he have a little more leverage with the retention dept? He isn't under contract anymore. He could switch to dish

Hmm good suggestions. I'm sure he is going to call at some point. I thought maybe I could get him some good tips from here. I don't think he would want to pay for whole house DVR service. Doesn't that get expensive? Would he have a little more leverage with the retention dept? He isn't under contract anymore. He could switch to dish

Why go the Retention route when you haven't seen what they have to offer you ?

Just trying to keep all options in mind. He's never really changed anything since he started with them so, he doesn't know what to expect with customer service. I was just putting out a feeler here. From the stories I've read around here, existing customers don't get offered much of anything.

Just trying to keep all options in mind. He's never really changed anything since he started with them so, he doesn't know what to expect with customer service. I was just putting out a feeler here. From the stories I've read around here, existing customers don't get offered much of anything.

I suggest calling and letting them know his situation and see what they say.... if he doesn't like it, hang up and call back.

Ok, he finally got around to calling them. He asked for 3 HD DVRs. They told him $99 for the first one and full price of $199 for each of the other 2. So $500 total. $99 off. Big whoop.

Don't they note your account when you call? How does that work to just call back. Doesn't the next rep see what you were just offered?

One other thing, the girl told him "don't quote me but, I think the new DVR records up to 4 shows at a time."

I told him I don't think that is the case.

call back and see what the next rep gives him. I did that when I was gonna upgrade to HDTV because the 1st rep quoted me $200 for the DVR (even though I only wanted a HD receiver) and $10 for the HD even though I am on auto pay

2nd rep quoted me $100 for the receiver and free HD

the dvr is $7 a month, and the mrv is an extra 3, so its not that bad. this covers the entire house.
also, if he gets locals ota he will need an am21 for each reciever.
and the standard units are cheaper then the dvr. he might get away with 1 or 2 dvr and 1 regular

call back and see what the next rep gives him. I did that when I was gonna upgrade to HDTV because the 1st rep quoted me $200 for the DVR (even though I only wanted a HD receiver) and $10 for the HD even though I am on auto pay

2nd rep quoted me $100 for the receiver and free HD

Free HD for how long? 2nd rep quoted you $100 for a HD DVR? Like I said, they quoted $99 first DVR $199 for each additional (which is full price)

I'm guessing the reps aren't noting the account as to what they offered?

The free HD is for 24 months with auto pay. As long as you are on auto pay once you get upgraded to HD you can call in and have it credited to the account. They cant add that unless HD is on the account.

No $100 for a HD receiver. I already have 2 R22's which the HD can be turned on as long as there is a HD receiver on the account. I've been a sub since Feb 2010. So I paid $100 for the HD receiver and after installed the HD was turned on the R22's :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)