upgrade receiver with a new hd receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermoore

Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
northfield mn
Ok, I am thinking of upgrading to HD service. I have been with dtv for about 4 yrs. I am only thinking of upgrading 1 receiver and leaving the other 2 alone. Do I need a new dish? Do i need 2 cables running to the wall jack? Is there a receiver that does not have to be line of site for remote? I ask this because about 2 months ago I was upgraded to hd/dvr tuner. The tech showed up and asked if the basement was finished, I said yes. He frowned and said it might be a problem since I need a double cable for installation. Was this only for the dvr? Or do i need it for the hd programming? Thank you......:D:D:D:D:D

Ok, I am thinking of upgrading to HD service. I have been with dtv for about 4 yrs. I am only thinking of upgrading 1 receiver and leaving the other 2 alone. Do I need a new dish? Do i need 2 cables running to the wall jack? Is there a receiver that does not have to be line of site for remote? I ask this because about 2 months ago I was upgraded to hd/dvr tuner. The tech showed up and asked if the basement was finished, I said yes. He frowned and said it might be a problem since I need a double cable for installation. Was this only for the dvr? Or do i need it for the hd programming? Thank you......:D:D:D:D:D

Did you already upgrade to hd? I can't tell by your post. If so, you only need the new receiver/dvr installed. If not, then you will likely need a new dish, too. If you get the new dish with a swm lnb, then you only need one line to each dvr. All of the hd dvrs have rf remotes that work through walls.

If he has one hd/dvr and 2 standard receivers he is only using satellite 101 (110 and 119) if u have triple sat. If you upgrade the 2 standard boxes to HD you need a new slimline dish and KAKU LNB to get sat. 99,101 and 103. That will require 4 lines from Dish unless he has SWM.

If he has one hd/dvr and 2 standard receivers he is only using satellite 101 (110 and 119) if u have triple sat. If you upgrade the 2 standard boxes to HD you need a new slimline dish and KAKU LNB to get sat. 99,101 and 103. That will require 4 lines from Dish unless he has SWM.

Why would you say he is using only 101,110, and 119? He has an hd dvr, which requires 99 and 103 to get hd channels.

Why would you say he is using only 101,110, and 119? He has an hd dvr, which requires 99 and 103 to get hd channels.
Just because he has an HD box, doesn't mean he is getting HD programming. Most people has HD tv's too but that doesnt mean they are watching channels in HD. Besides the HD/DVR and two standard IRD's would not function with only two lines coming from the ODU on a KAKU system unless it was a SWM.

Just because he has an HD box, doesn't mean he is getting HD programming. Most people has HD tv's too but that doesnt mean they are watching channels in HD. Besides the HD/DVR and two standard IRD's would not function with only two lines coming from the ODU on a KAKU system unless it was a SWM.

True, but it's highly unlikely he has an hd dvr and no hd programming. Most of those that do are in an mpeg4 local channels area which means he already has a Slimline dish.

True, but it's highly unlikely he has an hd dvr and no hd programming. Most of those that do are in an mpeg4 local channels area which means he already has a Slimline dish.
Basically, until he responds to your question of whether or not he has HD programming, we could guess either way. It is not uncommon for me to go do an upgrade and the customer already have an HD IRD with an 18in dish. Most are because they had an IRD go bad and DTV sent them an H-20.

ok, so I have an install coming in today. I am upgrading the main receiver in the living room with a hd/dvr receiver. I do not currently have HD! they say I will be getting a new dish and receiver. Will the one wire to the wall jack be sufficient????

NEW INSTALL/UPGRADE TO HD/DVR RECEIVER

Ok, so today I am supposed to get a new receiver/dish today to upgrade the living room receiver. I have a 2 line coming in to the house to a 4 way splitter. I only have 1 coax running to each cable box and the basement is finished. There is a possibility of fishing a new coax to the box but it will be rough :D. Will one line work to the wall jack? I would like any info that may help if I get the stink eye.....lol. 8-12 am appt, its 10:06 now and no call yet???YUP YUP!

Thank you everyone :up

I you get a swm lnb then you will need only one line to each box, whether a dvr or receiver.
BTW, if you keep your questions to one thread you are more likely to get an answer. Your questions were answered a couple of weeks ago, IIRC.

thanks chip, I appreciate the quick response. by the way, what is a swm lnb???

It's a newer style lnb, the little receiving device on the end of the arm on the dish. It means you need only one cable to the house, then only one to each dvr.

thanks chip, I appreciate the quick response. by the way, what is a swm lnb???

It's a different type of set up at the LNB that allows you to run a Single line to accomplish both tuners.

SWM + Single Wire Multiswitch

Edit:
Sorry Chip ....

Don't forget you also need a Power Supply in the equation

It's a different type of set up at the LNB that allows you to run a Single line to accomplish both tuners.

SWM + Single Wire Multiswitch

Edit:
Sorry Chip ....

Don't forget you also need a Power Supply in the equation

No problem Jimbo! You've got my back is all. I should have mentioned the power inserter.

Ok, so today I am supposed to get a new receiver/dish today to upgrade the living room receiver. I have a 2 line coming in to the house to a 4 way splitter. I only have 1 coax running to each cable box and the basement is finished. There is a possibility of fishing a new coax to the box but it will be rough :D. Will one line work to the wall jack? I would like any info that may help if I get the stink eye.....lol. 8-12 am appt, its 10:06 now and no call yet???YUP YUP!

Thank you everyone :up

Keep us updated when the install is finished!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts