upgrade receiver with a new hd receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hopefully they call ya soon. I know when I got the HD upgrade (last Tuesday) the tech got behind because of traffic and weather (and I was 1st on the list..) so he didnt arrive until 9:45 (he was coming from Fridley). I dont know where the tech would be coming from (maybe the south metro) so hopefully they get there soon.

The single wire stacks both polarities on a single coax. If I remember right Directv even sends the b band down the coax simultaneously also. All you need is a power inserter (they provide) and a high frequency splitter.

yeah..no install today! the installer said I had to either upgrade ALL the equipment or run a 2nd wire to the living room box. Otherwise he can jimmy rig it outside through the living room awall and around the edge of the carpet...LMAO!!! SOOOO i will be fishing a new coax over to the living room in a finished basement :) YAY! They will be back on tuesday 12-4 to install....fingers crossed!!!

huh? Now I'm confused. What exact setup do you have now?

From reading your post above "I have a double line coming into the house that goes into a 4 way splitter" do you have just a 18" dish on the roof? The "4 way splitter" must be a multiswitch (2 lines in 4 out).

A SWM only needs one line from the dish to the SWM splitter/power inserter. Each receiver only needs one line then. Sounds like you might have had a lazy tech....or he had no SWM setups and wanted to do a 6x8 multiswitch which is 4 lines down from the dish

I have the set up as you saw......it does have the 2 lines coming into the splitter with 4 splitters going out I think???? I am not a wire guy, I am a contractor ....lol!!when I asked him about the swm he said all the equipment had to be upgraded, I couldn't just do the one receiver and leave all the others alone????Am I missing something here???

I have the set up as you saw......it does have the 2 lines coming into the splitter with 4 splitters going out I think???? I am not a wire guy, I am a contractor ....lol!!when I asked him about the swm he said all the equipment had to be upgraded, I couldn't just do the one receiver and leave all the others alone????Am I missing something here???

If you go to the Menu and System Set Up, it will tell you what dish you currently are using.
This info would be helpful in figuring out what is going on here.

what receiver wise do you have? From reading the 1st post it sounds like you have 3 receivers. What model?
You probably have a 18" dish since 2 lines come off the roof. Unless the receivers are ancient (like old RCA models) the new models should work with SWM setups.

OK now its starting to make sense....sort of ;)

The D11 receivers are not SWM compatible using just the splitter. The D12 model (SD only) are...From some documentation they have to use the old SWM multiswitch which requires 4 lines from the LNB to the multisiwtch. That switch has 3 "Legacy" ports that allow older receivers to use just 101. But the new HD DVR can still use only one cable from that switch

Look at page 31 of the pdf...that is what I'm thinking setup is. Dang if you had D12's they could use the SWM setup (the one line from the LNB)

Attachments

• SWM - Integrated LNB-ModuleTraining.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 115
ok....so status update....I ran the 2nd cable to the living room box, through a main floor with a finished basement "that was FUN", and I have plenty of extra cable on each end. Heck...I even scraped the roof off so it would be bare shingles for him to attach the new dish too :) Tuesday 12-4 install.....fingers crossed!

Heck...I even scraped the roof off so it would be bare shingles for him to attach the new dish too
very smart ;)
I did the same thing....except when the tech came 2 weeks ago it was -4...suppose to be a little warmer tomorrow :)

ok so I got a HR24 box....it was well worth the wait and the extra trouble to get the 2nd cable ran. The tv looks awesome on the HD channels and have yet to work the dvr but that will come soon. The tech was great, he supplied hdmi cables and all the good stuff. Thanks for the info on here, it was appreciated. Weather in Northfield MN today was 31 :).....heat wave!!!

ok so I got a HR24 box....it was well worth the wait and the extra trouble to get the 2nd cable ran. The tv looks awesome on the HD channels and have yet to work the dvr but that will come soon. The tech was great, he supplied hdmi cables and all the good stuff. Thanks for the info on here, it was appreciated. Weather in Northfield MN today was 31 :).....heat wave!!!

:up

very cool :)
So what did he set you up with? I thought maybe a 6x8 multiswitch

also couple thoughts on the DVR...some quick things
-set up a favorite unless you want all those pesky shopping channels in there
-set up the 30 second skip so when you use the DVR it skips automatically 30 seconds and not "slip" which is like a fast forward. Here is the post on how to do it (and pics)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/235339-today-directv-install-day.html#post2393384
-when you are on a sports channel that red button in the corner pops up. If you do nothing it "sits" there. I usually hit "exit" which does make the unit go a little faster

otherwise have fun and ask questions. We're here to help :)

Glad to see it's up and running !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)