Status
Please reply by conversation.

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
I found a local guy who will upgrade my DVR with extra hard drive space and provide native internet capability to archive shows over my wireless "B" network straight from the box. However, I just don't know if I want to spend the money now that it's been released that D* will begin replacing the DVR's with NDS equipment. I love TIVO as a company b/c they are not the "man" in terms of character and therefore are not out to screw me, but the interface is overdue for a lot a minor hacks (as seen on tivo community site) that should be officially endorsed and therefore included in software updates (but thats another story). Any thoughts guys?

With the planned move to MPEG4, and the rumor that D* will provide replacement hardware I don't know if I'd mod the box, just in case they wouldn't take it in trade if it had been modded. If you did do it I think I'd recommend keeping the original hard drive and having it available to put back in, to replace the modded one, just in case.

Do you really think that D* is going to want the old HD boxes back?

To process and receive thousands of STB just doesn't make economic sense to do.

Prediction is that all these STB will be turned off at some point and you then have a ATSC receiver with DVR.

colofan said:
Do you really think that D* is going to want the old HD boxes back?

To process and receive thousands of STB just doesn't make economic sense to do.

Prediction is that all these STB will be turned off at some point and you then have a ATSC receiver with DVR.

Well it's kinda what they put out in their press release, a 1:1 exchange with additional year commitment. I just don't know if it would be worth it to wait. It seems like a awfully tall mountain to climb from the D* standpoint. I don't mean that they won't do it, but I suspect it will take longer than 2 years to implement. It just seems like such kluge from the equipment recall side of the house. :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts