Upgrade to 4K Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
Ok, they're coming tomorrow to swap out my current Genie and 2 mini clients for the 4K setup.

They sent an email detailing the equipment they're bringing and only mentioned 1 mini client (along with the main receiver).

I suspect that's the 4K one and the current ones will still work with the new receiver?

Will I get new remotes?

The CSR also mentioned 1 HDMI cable; I have mine currently run into a home theater receiver (that supports 4K), do I need a special HDMI cable from there to my 4K TV to support 4K?

Kovach, I got an upgrade that included an HR54-200, and a C61K-700 client (for my 4K TV). My remaining 3 C41 clients DO work with the new receiver. I got new remotes for the new receiver and client. I didn't have to get any special HDMI's.

Kovach, I got an upgrade that included an HR54-200, and a C61K-700 client (for my 4K TV). My remaining 3 C41 clients DO work with the new receiver. I got new remotes for the new receiver and client. I didn't have to get any special HDMI's.

Great, thank you!

The old clients will work fine, they just won't get 4K. Only the C61 will do that when connected to an HR54.

Ok, new question, all went well, but can't figure out how to hook up my AM21 since the power jack changed on the HR54.

Should I have asked the installer to leave my old power brick?

Ok, new question, all went well, but can't figure out how to hook up my AM21 since the power jack changed on the HR54.

Should I have asked the installer to leave my old power brick?
Instead of looping the power through the receiver/dvr, just plug it straight into the wall.

Instead of looping the power through the receiver/dvr, just plug it straight into the wall.

Yes but the problem is you used to have to use your receiver power cord to do that, and the installer took it with him, I'm assuming he should've left it for me, correct?

Yes but the problem is you used to have to use your receiver power cord to do that, and the installer took it with him, I'm assuming he should've left it for me, correct?
You said power brick, so I assumed it wasn't just a cord. Yes, he should have left it for you, but he probably didn't realize you needed it. Call Directv, they should send you another one at no charge.

You said power brick, so I assumed it wasn't just a cord. Yes, he should have left it for you, but he probably didn't realize you needed it. Call Directv, they should send you another one at no charge.

do they still have them? the am21 is out of production

Will do.

To answer a couple of other poster's questions on the AM21, what you do is remove the power to your old genie, plug it into the AM21, and the AM21 has a similar powercord plug that plugs into the genie where the old cord (with power supply) used to plug into.

Funny thing is the last 2 installers that have been to the house had never seen nor heard of an AM21 and had no clue how to hook them up or make them work, which is why I just told him what he's done is fine, I'll hook that back up, not realizing the plugs are different on the HR54's.

Have a 4k LG OLED TV on the way. What does Directv charge for upgrade to 4k?
It depends upon your payment history, current contract status, etc. Most people get a free upgrade to a Genie and two clients if they agree to a new two year contract.

The CSR also mentioned 1 HDMI cable; I have mine currently run into a home theater receiver (that supports 4K), do I need a special HDMI cable from there to my 4K TV to support 4K?

I'm curious to know if you got your C61K to work with your AVR? because the HD stuff will play just fine, but there are ALOT of AVR's that were advertised 4k ready but did NOT work with the C61K. the easy way to test this is to unplug the coax cable from the client and it will say right under the title screen if you're not sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts