Upgrade to HD: Do it myself?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TruckStuff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Dallas
I've had Dish HD for years in the living room (722 receiver), but the bedroom has always been standard def (I thinks its a 311 receiver). The wife has finally grown tired of the standard def pic back there and wants to upgrade to HD (whoohoo!).

My question is can I get a 211 receiver off eBay and do the upgrade myself? I've already got the 1000.4 dish for the living room (think that's what it is). My only concern is that there are two coax cables running to the living room and only one to the bedroom, but that could be because the 722 needs two inputs for the DVR. Is the upgrade as simple as plugging the box in and calling Dish to set it up? Or is there some additional wiring that is needed? Anyone know what Dish would charge to come out and do the upgrade?

If you really have a Dish 1000.4, all you need to do is plug in the ViP211.

The installer that put in the ViP722 must have run out of separators as only one wire is required.

As always, buying on eBay is a major risk. DO NOT trust that the seller isn't lying through their teeth about the status of the receiver.

I've had Dish HD for years in the living room (722 receiver), but the bedroom has always been standard def (I thinks its a 311 receiver). The wife has finally grown tired of the standard def pic back there and wants to upgrade to HD (whoohoo!).

My question is can I get a 211 receiver off eBay and do the upgrade myself? I've already got the 1000.4 dish for the living room (think that's what it is). My only concern is that there are two coax cables running to the living room and only one to the bedroom, but that could be because the 722 needs two inputs for the DVR. Is the upgrade as simple as plugging the box in and calling Dish to set it up? Or is there some additional wiring that is needed? Anyone know what Dish would charge to come out and do the upgrade?

What are the 2 wires going to the 722? Is it 1 for sat & 1 for OTA? Is it 2 for sat? Need more info on what's going into the 722 before we can really tell you what you need to do. The 211 will need a separate wire coming from the dish. Scherrman could have the right answer for you.

One major thing if you consider buying a used or buying off of craigslist or ebay make darn sure you get the receiver number and smartcard number,check with dish to find out if they are leased before you buy.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll checkout the DishStore.net link for sure.

And I could be mistaken about the two wires to the LR. Its been a while since I looked at it. I know for sure there is 1 wire to the BR though.

One major thing if you consider buying a used or buying off of craigslist or ebay make darn sure you get the receiver number and smartcard number,check with dish to find out if they are leased before you buy.
Apparently that isn't working all that well right now. It is probably best just to go direct to DISH or an authorized retailer.

Apparently that isn't working all that well right now. It is probably best just to go direct to DISH or an authorized retailer.

We do have the dirt team here as well.Can always give one of them a pm.

It really depends on how you were set up, but I can take a look at your account if you PM your account number so we can see what your best option would be.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll checkout the DishStore.net link for sure.

And I could be mistaken about the two wires to the LR. Its been a while since I looked at it. I know for sure there is 1 wire to the BR though.
It could be 2 wires 1 for sat & 1 for OTA. That is my preference instead of diplexing the signals together.

whatchel1 said:
It could be 2 wires 1 for sat & 1 for OTA. That is my preference instead of diplexing the signals together.

Any one think that maybe, if it is a second cable going to the reciever, it just might be hooked up to the tv2 port?

There is only one wire to the LR, my mistake. Talked to Dish and they offered me the sweet deal of waiving the tech visit fee ($95) if I sign up for their $6/mo protection plan for a 24 mo commitment. Man, how can I turn that down? Seriously, is everyone in this country that bad at math? Sheesh... I'm sure I could argue them down, but its probably not worth the effort.

Thanks for the advice guys!

There is only one wire to the LR, my mistake. Talked to Dish and they offered me the sweet deal of waiving the tech visit fee ($95) if I sign up for their $6/mo protection plan for a 24 mo commitment. Man, how can I turn that down? Seriously, is everyone in this country that bad at math? Sheesh... I'm sure I could argue them down, but its probably not worth the effort.

Thanks for the advice guys!
I would just like to clarify this one a bit. When a customer needs a service technician visit it is a $95.00 charge. If you add the Protection Plan for $6.00 a month, it reduces the tech visit to $15.00 and we will waive the first charge. If you remove the Protection Plan with 5 months, there will be a 1 time $25.00 cancellation fee. After 5 months there is no charge to remove the Protection Plan. There is no commitment with the Service Plan at all!The 24 month commitment is for the upgrade of the equipment which will include of the upgrade Dish installation to get the HD programming! Enjoy your HD!! I hope they explained about signing up for HD Free for Life on your account!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts