Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
here's my situation:

D* subscriber for a little over a month, have a plasma hdtv and the standard dvr right now. I held off on subscribing to HD do to new mpeg4 system coming out which might have been a mistake. I now have a few questions about the next move.

*) Should I go ahead and pay the $399 for the current hd dvr and get the satellite installed and wait for the upgrade

*) If i do buy the outdated DVR will i get a break on the new one in the fall?

*) I read where the people who are HD subscribers will get priority over new subscribers when the new box comes out, is this true?

*) Finally, is the D* OTA antenna worth $49. Can it go on the pole outside or does it have to be in an attic. reason I ask is I am a townhome renter without attic access.

thanks for any help on this.

OK, nice answer :rolleyes: . If you'd expect me to switch and pay the penalty, then why not offer some reasons.

I feel D* will have a better offering in the next year which is why I had them installed and not E*.

1 - New HD DVR is out! I'd get on the list for it, not sure how soon you could get it though, maybe just in CA right now?
2 - maybe, maybe not. No one knows for sure, some have been promised free upgrade, we'll see. I would count on a $99 upgrade fee, myself.
3 - I've read the same, not sure if that is correct though.
4 - probably not worth $49 from what I can tell, if you aren't far from your local stations, it should do the trick though. Look at antennaweb.org first, and see if you need a VHF/UHF antenna or just a UHF, but I would buy a Channel Master 4228, maybe a preamp if you are more than 20 miles or so from the towers, and place that in the attic. It would be much better than what D* offers for an antenna. But that would require you to run the cable from the attic to your tv yourself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)