Upgrade to MPEG4 or not w/xbox 360?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kpr711

Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
Quick question, currently I have samsung hdbox, w/xbox attached via component to inputs on sat box. Samsung box is set to put out at 1080i (up converts dvd's and games?).
Getting xbox 360, should I connect in the same manner, or should I upgrade to mpeg4 equipment (which does not have input on box for other connections, to up convert other inputs), and attach 360 directly to TV, my understanding is this will put games out in HD, but only 480p for movies.
Thank you for any help you guys can provide, Merry Xmas!

I have enough connections available, I would like to keep the ability to upcovert lesser signals to 1080i, as the samsung box allows

You have no worries! The Xbox 360 outputs 1080i. Use a separate HD input and enjoy. Or if you are keeping your old Xbox, they have a HD connector kit available for like $50. I've also read that the X-box 360
will be able to play the Blue-Ray high definition DVD's. Double bonus.

$20

Dknow said:
You have no worries! The Xbox 360 outputs 1080i. Use a separate HD input and enjoy. Or if you are keeping your old Xbox, they have a HD connector kit available for like $50. I've also read that the X-box 360

The connection kit shouldn't cost you more than $20, I'll bet you can find it used on eBay or one of the used VDO game stores.

Dknow said:

This is not completely true. Right now the xbox does not support any high definition disc. Blu-Ray is a Sony format and you can be sure Microsoft won't be supporting this format while the format war continues.

It is more likely that a second edition of xbox 360 will support the competing HD-DVD format. I don't believe Microsoft has commmitted to including HD-DVD into xbox 360, but this would be the scenario if they chose to include support for a high definition disc in future editions.

I was unsure of which format they supported but I do know that they will be able to play one of them. HD-DVD it is then.

Thanks for the resopnses. I already have the 360,(it's not hooked up yet, Santa comes Saturday night!) the sat box is currently doing the upconverting, the xbox 360 will not upconvert. Microsoft announced there is the possibility of them releasing a hdmi or dvi connector.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)