Upgrading from VIP722 to Hopper+Joey: Advice Please?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IceUck

Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hi Folks,

We've been Dish Network customers for over two years, and we're month-to-month contract now. We only recently added HBO to our package, and started taking advantage of the ability to watch any HBO show at no extra cost through the PPV mechanism. We love it, but the VIP 722 is really showing its age, and it can be frustratingly cumbersome and slow at times...

That got me thinking that it was probably about time to hit up Dish Network for an equipment upgrade. My thinking was that we're out of contract, and have been customers for some time, so maybe they'll be willing to subsidize an equipment upgrade to keep our business.

I called and spoke with a first-tier sales person, and they wanted around $200-$250 (IIRC) for the upgrade. I then called up DirectTV to see what they had to offer, but everything they had that was even close was WAY MORE EXPENSIVE in the long run (sorry I don't have my notes, so no actual numbers to back this up).

Anyway, I'm about to call up and try to get to a tier 2 (customer retention) sales rep, and see what they can do for us. I'd appreciate any advice on this; e.g. who to call, what to say, how to know what their best offer is likely to be (since it probably won't be the first one they make.

Also, a few random questions:

- I keep seeing people refer to "DIRT", as in "DIRT team"... but I can't find a definition anywhere. What does "DIRT" stand for?

- I have an Android tablet with a Dish Network app that gives me a much nicer interface into the shows I have recorded (including HBO PPV stuff I've downloaded). I'm assuming that I'll still be able to use this with the Hopper?

Thanks very much in advance!

-Ice

Hi Folks,

We've been Dish Network customers for over two years, and we're month-to-month contract now. We only recently added HBO to our package, and started taking advantage of the ability to watch any HBO show at no extra cost through the PPV mechanism. We love it, but the VIP 722 is really showing its age, and it can be frustratingly cumbersome and slow at times...

That got me thinking that it was probably about time to hit up Dish Network for an equipment upgrade. My thinking was that we're out of contract, and have been customers for some time, so maybe they'll be willing to subsidize an equipment upgrade to keep our business.

I called and spoke with a first-tier sales person, and they wanted around $200-$250 (IIRC) for the upgrade. I then called up DirectTV to see what they had to offer, but everything they had that was even close was WAY MORE EXPENSIVE in the long run (sorry I don't have my notes, so no actual numbers to back this up).

Anyway, I'm about to call up and try to get to a tier 2 (customer retention) sales rep, and see what they can do for us. I'd appreciate any advice on this; e.g. who to call, what to say, how to know what their best offer is likely to be (since it probably won't be the first one they make.

Also, a few random questions:

- I keep seeing people refer to "DIRT", as in "DIRT team"... but I can't find a definition anywhere. What does "DIRT" stand for?

- I have an Android tablet with a Dish Network app that gives me a much nicer interface into the shows I have recorded (including HBO PPV stuff I've downloaded). I'm assuming that I'll still be able to use this with the Hopper?

Thanks very much in advance!

-Ice

I don't know if you have sent a PM to any of the DIRT members Rey listed. If you have not been assisted yet feel free to PM me.

Bumping this old thread so that I am allowed to private message the DIRT members on the first page.
I think you need 5 posts to be able to do that. So just post "2" and wait 3 seconds to post again, post "3" etc.

It's been said that there is no required limit to message DIRT. Just send them one right away. It may take a bit for them to get to it though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts