Upgrading my sony 6600 HTIB

BrownHound

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Amherst, VA
It has been a good system, but I finished my basement/bar area and have a great area for movie/sports watching on a 56" TV. The sony is ok, but it lacks features on the newer models and it is time to upgrade.

I started by looking at some yamaha htib systems, with the though of upgrading the speakers in a year or two. The more I think about it tho, it seems silly to spend anything on throw in speakers, so I decided for sure (unless you convince me otherwise) on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for the speakers.... this seems like a set that will be good in that room for practically ever.

So that brings me to the receiver. I have been looking at the Yamaha 73 line and specifically the 473. I love the Yamaha ipad app for the control, the network capabilities and i dont need the zone B or the 7.1 of the higher models. 4 HDMI hookups should be plenty for me.

My question is this... should I be looking a different direction for the receiver? I have family that owns Yamaha and it seems good to me and the 473 seems well reviewed, but you all know more about this stuff than i do.

Thanks in advance.

If you like Yamaha and are comfortable with it, then by all means go for it. Yamaha is on the list I would recommend and the 473 is a fine entry receiver. Other ones to consider are the Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer.

FWIW, I agree with your decision to go with the Energy speakers and separate receiver. You generally get more for your dollar if you shop carefully and bundle yourself. Most HTIB systems compromise on both the receiver and especially on the speaker package. The energy's are well regarded, especially the center and satellites. This probably isn't your last system, but it should serve you well for years.

Thanks for the tip... I really need to check out the Denons to see what they offer... I have seen many others say that is the way to go.

I paired a Denon with the Energy Take Classic 5.1s at my daughter's place. They work well together. Denon tend to be a little brighter than the Yamahas. Good if you have a warm room.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts