Upgrading OTA Antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PeckW

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I am upgrading to the 60 mile antenna this weekend. I read the thread about the amps, but came away unsure of the outcome. I wanted to state my understanding to make sure I am correct.

I should insist that the installer use the amp in the antenna. The previous installer used a diplexer to utilize the existing coax to run the signal to my TV. He also installed a 2nd diplexer to split the OTA and Satellite signals at the back of the TV. The only power that was connected was the plug from the Satellite box. If I get the amplifier installed will there also be a 2nd plug that will need to be connected or does the Satellite box backfeed the power through the coax from the plug it already has connected? I came away feeling that there should be a 2nd plug, but am not sure.

Right now I get 8 of 10 OTA channels, and can live with it if there is no improvement, but I'm hoping this brings in the other two.

Are the other two being broadcast off towers that are in the same direction?

Lob

amps and preamps can introduce problems. dont use any if you do not have too. If you are upgrading from an omnidirectional stealth to a directional antenna then, not knowing your distance from the station, my guess is you will be fine without amps or preamps.

If you're getting the Channel Master 4228, people usually use the CM 7775 or 7777 preamp with it. I don't think you can use it with a diplexer. (People say a diplexer degrades the signal anyway.) It does have a second plug. It's very directional, so unless all the towers are in the same direction, you'll need a rotor, like the CM 9521. I upgraded from the CM 3017, and the difference is dramatic.

Are you sure that all 10 of the OTA channels are broadcasting in HD? In my area, a couple of the stations are broadcasting in digital but are not yet in HD. They have a subchannel designated for HD that is currently showing color bars or nothing. The VOOM turner is mapped to the HD subchannel, so I'm not getting the station. (I get some great looking color bars, though.)

* red - uhf WPXA-DT 14.1 PAX Rome GA 321° 29.1 51
* red - uhf WSB-DT 2.1 ABC Atlanta GA 195° 16.9 39
* red - uhf WPBA-DT 21 PBS Atlanta GA TBD 190° 17.0 21
* red - uhf WTBS-DT 17.1 TBS ATLANTA GA 192° 13.7 20
* red - vhf WXIA-DT 11.1 NBC Atlanta GA 189° 17.1 10
* red - uhf WUPA-DT 69.43 UPN ATLANTA GA 194° 18.2 43
* red - uhf WGCL-DT 46.1 CBS ATLANTA GA 192° 13.7 19
* red - vhf WGTV-DT 12 PBS Athens GA 08-04 150° 16.5 12
* red - uhf WATC-DT 41 REL ATLANTA GA Currently Not Available 300° 9.6 41
* red - uhf WATL-DT 36.1 WB Atlanta GA 192° 13.7 25
* red - uhf WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX Atlanta GA 191° 14.4 27
* red - uhf WUVG-DT 34.1 UNI ATHENS GA 192° 13.7 48

Here are the digital channels available to me courtesy of Antennaweb. As you can see, most are between 189 and 195 degrees. One of the PBS stations will be in a different direction as well as the PAX and REL affiliates. Two of the three aren't online yet and I could live without receiving them anyway, so I don't know if I'll invest in the rotor. I'm assuming that the rotor wouldn't be necessary for a spread of 6 degrees for the other stations.

Also, the color bars keep freezing up, so they must be in HD. :p

compson said:
If you're getting the Channel Master 4228, people usually use the CM 7775 or 7777 preamp with it. I don't think you can use it with a diplexer. (People say a diplexer degrades the signal anyway.) It does have a second plug. It's very directional, so unless all the towers are in the same direction, you'll need a rotor, like the CM 9521. I upgraded from the CM 3017, and the difference is dramatic.

Are you sure that all 10 of the OTA channels are broadcasting in HD? In my area, a couple of the stations are broadcasting in digital but are not yet in HD. They have a subchannel designated for HD that is currently showing color bars or nothing. The VOOM turner is mapped to the HD subchannel, so I'm not getting the station. (I get some great looking color bars, though.)
I use an RCA ANT40U (directional yagi style UHF only), no amp, no preamp split into two feeds, both feeds with diplexers on both ends. signal on D* is 100 for all but a couple around 70-80. With V* all are still very strong. No problems.

FYI diplexers Do NOT DEGRADE the signal. They reduce the strength slightly but you only need a certain amount of signal strength to get a perfect picture. There is no difference in a picture at 70 signal strength vs one at 100. They are digital and both are "perfect". Digital OTA is nothing like analog OTA, You either get a picture digitally or you dont

vurbano said:
There is no difference in a picture at 70 signal strength vs one at 100. They are digital and both are "perfect". Digital OTA is nothing like analog OTA, You either get a picture digitally or you dont

Yep, exactly. But there is a big difference between a signal of 17 and 27. Depending on the weather here, my CBS signal varies between these two ranges and when it's at 27, it watchable with minor breakups. When it's down at 17 (only 10 lower), I don't get it at all.

they are transmitting at low power? here they are at something like 300 KW while the WB is at something like 3kw almost nothing. I find it strange for such a big network like CBS to have low power. Are they in a slightly different direction? You are correct, if you are on the border of reception with a station a diplexer could be fatal.

Yeah...the 321deg and the 300deg ain't going to happen...
But I bet you pull everything else in, including the 150deg.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts