Upgrading receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
Currently with the old skool Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA.

Been reading about the new receiver options. There are apparently a lot more options nowadays. I have tried to do as much reading as possible and gather my information, but it leads to two questions I want to gather opinions on.

So let me keep it simple:

1. Why should I even upgrade?

2. Which one of course?

Thanks

1. Most stuff these days is DVB-S2 that receiver will not receive those channels.

2. Low Cost but works great, would be the Amiko Mini HD SE, also this one has Support right here in NA.

Reactions: danristheman
What kind of system do you have, what do you watch and what do you want to watch?

The main reason for upgrading is to pick up DVB-S2 signals, which are increasingly common. However, if all the channels you want are in DVB-S, the standard supported by your current receiver, then you can save your money.

Take a look at Lyngsat and see what you might be missing. Remember, some are scrambled and Lyngsat isn't 100% up to date. You can always check back here.

Mostly international stuff. I love finding the wild feeds for sports when they happen, but that's only really during college football/basketball season.

All Ku FYI.

And having HD on a huge TV is a must anymore.

Should You Upgrade? YES. Many sports WF's are going S2 and HD. Amiko HD SE is a very good choice.

Anything else out there? Anything even better?

I see this is $90 on Amazon, sound right?

Mostly international stuff. I love finding the wild feeds for sports when they happen, but that's only really during college football/basketball season.

All Ku FYI.

And having HD on a huge TV is a must anymore.

Most of the international stuff is still SD in DVB-S, but some is S2 such as NHK on 99W

Sports is increasingly in HD in S2 so for that, yes, a new receiver would be worth it.

^thanks.....it's good to support your sponsors.

One last question......seeing those other receivers, what would I be missing out by getting the mini instead of something more? I read the specs, but couldn't find much of a difference.

The Amiko A3 model adds the ability to run any Android app from the Google Play store such as Netflix, Sling, SiliconDust OTA, Kodi, games, etc.

The mini HD SE is a great satellite receiver. Just depends what you want or need.

Reactions: KE4EST
... what would I be missing out by getting the mini instead of something more?...
It would be hard to go wrong with a Mini. It does DVB-S2, records video, and works with YouTube once again.

In my opinion, the best way to get more is not the receiver, it's the dish. If you have the space for a C-Band dish it will give you a lot more to watch.

^If I could do a BUD, I would.

Kinda waiting to see a neighbor a few houses does with his dish. He is done using it. I've put in the word. :)

Thanks for all the info on the receivers.

Just a heads up about some of the Chinese boxes. Some boxes have had USALS problems. Also, if it says Dolby Digital supported, capable or optional, be careful. Don't know about the two boxes you linked but others here have bought Chinese boxes on Aliexpress and eBay only to find out that 'supported', 'capable' or 'optional' does not mean included. Although the chipset is able to do it, apparently the licensing was not purchased by the manufacturer and thus the box can't output Dolby. :( Good idea to verify functionality with your seller before buying. Good luck! :)

USALS problem: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3648663/
Dolby problem: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3630667/

I have been looking at these receivers from aliexpress and will probably pull the plug in the next paycheck

A VU is for sale in the classifieds: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/index.php?threads/Vu+Solo2.351047/#post-3687251

Not a very popular STB in North America, but some owners load Enigma2 or other OS for a better experience. Definitely read-up on these before you buy. Doubt you will have a good experience out of the box. Many AliExpress STBs look great on the glossy ads, but in reality.... :(

Just an FYI Sassan has a Amiko Mini HD SE "out for delivery" today.
I look forward to hearing his experience, hopefully he will post later today. :)

Got my toy yesterday, finally got to installing it today. Thanks for the quick delivery. Quite happy with the easy ordering and process.

Now trying to get it programmed, a little frustrating. I verified on the Fortec that the dish had signal (was watching a show on 97.0), then simply moved the cable over to the new receiver. Tried the auto install twice, no luck. Tried to manually enter the settings, still no luck.

Going to mess with it after work tomorrow to see what's going on. I was hoping to have been done by now.

By the way, hooked up the old receiver, still getting signal fine.

Last edited:
Did you happen to accidentally hit the V.FORMAT button? May have set it to a standard your television doesn't understand.
Press that button, wait a few seconds, if no video seen press again. Repeat until video.

To scan in the channels. Menu - Installation - Satellite Installation - Red button.
Change Scan Mode to Free
Change Scan Type to Blind Scan
select OK to Search.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts