Upgrading the Sub soon :)

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Well,

It's time for that natural progression to more bass. I'm also getting an audio calibration done in Sept/Oct, so I want to have everything in place before then, naturally. I am very happy with my Reference II speakers, and the Marantz works well too. It is not that I am unhappy with the VTF2 MK4, because it actually does well, easily blowing my old Klipsch out of the water. My problem is, I have a big room, and once I added more bass, I wanted more LOL.

One problem when you go from the $500-700 range, to the $2000 range, is size. I did some sub crawling yesterday, and the prime spot for me barely fits the HSU. This is a problem, and is one of the main reasons I chose the sub design I did. Other reasons are customization options built on board the amp and controlled by a LCD screen/knob, a powerful amp and beefy sub, as well as being known for hitting hard and low, which is what I want :)

I hope to order the PC13 Ultra in the second half of August.

PC_13_ULTRA_4ebc67d3592ae.jpg

Ultra13_side_800.jpg

Ultra13_ISO_front_800.jpg

at-a-glance_PC13U.jpg

Sledge Amplification – Intelligent and Sophisticated Power
The Sledge STA-1000D amplifier is a perfect match for the Ultra-13 driver, packing 1,000 watts of power and sophisticated DSP control. Comprehensive and extensive menu options are accessed via an intuitive single-knob interface with LCD display, allowing for easy set-up and integration into any home theater or stereo system.
1000 watts RMS continuous power (3600 watts peak dynamic power).
Efficient, cool-running Class D power with 'green' standby mode.
Stereo line-level RCA and balanced (XLR) input/output connections for the ultimate in connectivity.
DSP control for the ultimate in refined behavior under all operating conditions.
Variable tuning with 20Hz, 16Hz, and Sealed settings to match any room.
Extensive menu options and digital crossover allows easy integration into any 2-channel system.
Intuitive and easy to use single knob controller with bright LCD display.

STA-1000D_front_800.jpg

Insidetheamphole.jpg

Bigassdriver.jpg

Tuningports.jpg

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc13-ultra

Last edited:
LOL

I just hope this thing hits as hard as people say it does. It's the perfect height and size to stand next to one of the Klipsch towers.

SVS makes very good stuff. The PC series you are selecting will do the job quite well. You also save significantly on the "no frills" cabinetry, so the money is going into the product instead of a furniture grade finishing.

You'll get at least your money's worth the sub!

Cheers,

Thanks John.

I've been reading a lot in this price range, and SVS is def one of the top contenders. Maybe not as musical, but Im 99.9% movies, and after these you get into the $3 and $4k range JL Audio and Seaton subs, but thats too much for me.

I also see this as a component of the future room I want to build. Saving space it can be put in many places, as well as adding a second across the room if I feel the need.

I have one more thought, and Im not sure if anyone can answer this.

Now, I know the SVS Ultra's are beasts by all accounts, but what Im looking at is I already have one Hsu 12" that does pretty darn good. Im just wondering do I spend the $1700 on the SVS, and try and sell the Hsu, or do I spend $650 on a second Hsu 12, and run two subs. I know the SVS will go lower than the Hsu by a tad, the Hsu is better in the 25hz and up even though they will hit under 20hz. Of course the Ultra should have more output, I guess, than 2 12" subs?

Suggestions?

After too much research, Ive changed gears a bit. Not that the SVS Ultra isnt awesome, it is, but there are some other great subs that perform well for less than $2000. Two on top of my list right now are the Rythmik FV15HP and dual Epik Empires.

The FV15 is real close to the SVS down low, and actually has a few more db's in midbass. It's a real beast and would run $1400. I can get the two Epik's for $1400, and while they would be 3-4db less in the 16-50hz range, they rule 50hz and up. Tough decisions.

16-50 Hz is about half the range the subwoofer is supposed to handle. 80-40 (first octave) and 40 to below 20 (second and more).

This isn't "music" vs "ht" subs, but for perspective bass low e is ca 43 Hz. Consider the mix of movies vs music as part of the decision.

Personally, I look for output down low as that tends to get my attention more.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I'm basically 99.9 percent HT, so I think the sub that can work best from 16hz up is what I should choose. I read some shootouts and the 15" FV15HP seems like a great sub. I think I'm going to go with that one.

Hehe. Hunting for a sub has been a chore. Two guys, one a founder of SVS, have just started a new company. Dual 15's in a huge box for $1300!

I really dig the Rythmik FV15HP. It's got great dB's numbers when tested with CEA 2010, compared to other models, excellent build quality per just about everyone, and it's hard to find one person say anything bad about it.

Well the problem with subs is that there are so many to choose from... The 2 I use on a regular basis are an M&K (MX-350) and a Bowers and Wilkins (600 series). I like them both.

Heard good things about the M&K. And I agree, I finally had to stop researching. For my range, according to dB testing (equally compared to the likes of velodyne, svs, etc...), reputation and build quality, Im sticking with the Rythmik FV15HP. It's a beast, hits down low, great mid bass and is very accurate even though I dont really listen to music.

FV15HP.jpg

Driver DS1510 15" high excursion with custom sensing coil
Driver materials Black anodized aluminum with rubber surround
Cast aluminum basket
Copper flux modulation shorting rings
Amplifier 600 RMS class H patented servo controlled
Dimensions 18"(W) x 24" (H )x 24"(D) - (26" D with grille and heatsink)
Shipping Weight 120 lbs
Frequency Response 14 - 200 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LFE inputs
14 - 90 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LINE IN inputs
Multi-tune 18hz (2 port) and 12hz (1 port)
Crossover slope Selectable 12 or 24 dB / octave (PEQ)
Crossover range (Low pass) 25 - 100 Hz
Rumble Filter (High pass ) 18 Hz 18 dB / octave for two port tuning
Phase adjustment 0 - 180 degrees continuously variable
Bass damping factor settings high (Q=0.5), med (Q=0.7), and low (Q=1.1)
Finishes Available in honey oak vinyl or black oak vinyl
Warranty 5 years warranty on driver and 2 years on electronics
30 day satisfaction guarantee

30lbs
DS1510_featured.jpg