Upgrading to HD...Help please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Smokie55

Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
First let me say hi and thanks for being here. I have been reading the forums for awhile now and decided to join. Great site, great info and great people.

I have been a long time E* subscriber (10+ years). It is now time to make the leap to HD. I think?? I want to make the switch without losing what capabilities I currently have. I could go for a E* upgrade and pay some money. but I really think I want to get the freebie deals with D* and get the sunday ticket. So here is what I am looking for.

I am currently running one dual tuner in my living room and it back feeds the bed room. I like this because I can record up to two things at once and watch recorded programs. Plus with one entral reciever for both rooms. I can view programs recorded from either room. Unlike having two seperate DVRs for each room. I would also like to have one extra HD reciever (non-DVR) for a second bedroom.

From what I have been reading the D* HD-DVR dual tuner does not have a way to back feed to another room. Is this true?? If so, I need the biggest HD-DVR hard drive space available. What is available? (model #). If back feeding can not be done, what other options might I go for. I really like the fact that I can view my recorded programs in the easy chair or bed. Also, do the HD-DVRs come with RF remotes.

I guess with the above description my question is what recievers should I ask for and expect to get. Would I be better off staying with E* and just paying a little money for the upgrades?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

hello. 1st of all welcome to the greatest sat forum on the Internet!

the latest model is the HR21-100. it does have dual tuners. all the rear outputs are active at the same time so you can view it in another room at the same time. the remote is RF so you may control the dvr from any room. what you can't do that you can with the vip series from Dish is watch 2 different channels at the same time in 2 rooms. so basically what you see in your living room would be the same for your bedroom. unless you plan on being in both rooms at the same time this shouldn't be a problem. if you want more room for recordings than what the dvr brings you can add an external drive as big as you like. hope this helps

one more thing there is a new feature for the future that will allow to view programming from your dvr through networking anywhere in your home

You have some release info on that? Are you referring to the Whole House Solution?

no and yes to 2nd question. there isn't any release info yet. it's in the works but that won't happen for awhile.

Thanks guys, that was quick info. It seems that I may not have the luxuries I was used to before. I often go to the bedroom to watch the evening news while my son watches the toons. Unless I get him a TV and reciever for his room, he will not apprecite the interuption, nor would I.

I would like some opinions about the new equipment available from both. Since this is the D* forum I will move on over to another forum more fitting to comparing these and do some searches.

Thanks again for the help. Glad you guys are here.

if the sunday ticket isn't that important to you then i say stick with E buddy. get the vip 622 or 722 and you'll get everything you need. your welcome. stop by anytime

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts