Upgrading to HD: What's the best DirecTV deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

8bitbytes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NoVA
My brother-in-law is a DirecTV subscriber, balancing out the family since I have Dish, and he is going to call to upgrade to an HD DVR and add HD service. As a current customer, what's the best deal he can get on that and who should he call?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

The best I could get, and it probably isn't the best, but I suck at negotiating, was $100 off the DVR, 6 months free HD, and $5 credit for 3 months. I was still under contract, though, so it would have cost me a lot to cancel and go to Dish. What I got was the basic package for a new customer.

I do have a friend who fought with them for over a week, probably 5 different csr's, and finally got a free HD Dvr and free hd for a year, but he wasn't under contract. Good luck.

I've been with D* for seven or eight years, so wasn't on a contract. I simply called up and told them I was going to cancel and switch to "the other guys" unless they made it worth my while. I got free install of a slimline 5lnb plus free H20 (didn't want a DVR), free HD service for a year and $10/month off my package (choice xtra) for a year. Yes, it did put me back into a 2 yr commitment, but half of that will be free and the discount on my base package has paid for that for a year so I figure it really didn't cost me anything over the long run.

I told him to ask for the retention team since Dish was offering a great deal and they matched Dishes offer of free HDDVR and 6 months free HD.

Now he will never come out of the basement home theater!

:)

My deal

First I want to say thanks for the fine folks that posted on this forum and steered me in the right direction. I have been a customer for 3 years and do not have a current contract. Have an SD DVR and an SD unit in my bedroom. Will not let the children get tv yet.

I called, mentioned the Dish HD deal, and got a free HD DVR plus free HD for 6 months. Installation is next week, which is great. The funny thing was the Indian guy went on hold while placing my order for an HD DVR and the HD regular unit then asked if the Dish deal also had my second receiver. I said no but he seemed real nice and threw it in for free. The only cost is shipping of $20 or so. Thanks again.

First I want to say thanks for the fine folks that posted on this forum and steered me in the right direction. I have been a customer for 3 years and do not have a current contract. Have an SD DVR and an SD unit in my bedroom. Will not let the children get tv yet.

I called, mentioned the Dish HD deal, and got a free HD DVR plus free HD for 6 months. Installation is next week, which is great. The funny thing was the Indian guy went on hold while placing my order for an HD DVR and the HD regular unit then asked if the Dish deal also had my second receiver. I said no but he seemed real nice and threw it in for free. The only cost is shipping of $20 or so. Thanks again.

WTF? 3 calls and so far it's the same story:

$200 for the HR20 and $5 a month lease fee. There's no way I'm paying for that when I own two HR10-250s. The extra channels are nice but not worth a dime extra for another DVR.

hi guys

I just had my 5 LNB HD DVR and new HD receivers installed today.
I called on Monday and selected the "cancel service" option. I was put through to a nice young lady and asked her when my contract was over because I wanted to cancel. She told me my contract was past expiration and that they would upgrade me for free if I commited to 2 more years of service. I was charged $19.95 as a processing fee. I do not own the HD receivers. They would not give me a 2nd HD PVR (though I didnt try too hard).
YMMV.

Gregg

blueguy
How long have you been with DirecTV? How's your payment record? Not to offend you but these might be things they consider when they make thier offer. Also hope to speak with a female as I found they tend to take care of their customers a little better for some odd reason.

Play the card "others are getting it for no to little cost, I pay $X money monthly and have been with you for X years. How much do I have to spend a month to get it for little to no cost?"

blueguy
How long have you been with DirecTV? How's your payment record? Not to offend you but these might be things they consider when they make thier offer. Also hope to speak with a female as I found they tend to take care of their customers a little better for some odd reason.

Play the card "others are getting it for no to little cost, I pay $X money monthly and have been with you for X years. How much do I have to spend a month to get it for little to no cost?"

I've been with DTV for 5 years. Paid by CC the entire time. We have HBO, Tivo, Sunday Ticket. We're not big spenders but we do blow over 1000 a year with them. Hell, I bought one of my HR10-250s.

I want to thank all of you for your sharing of information. I've been waiting to upgrade to HD, did a google search tonight and ended up on this thread. 18 minutes on the telephone with DTV later, I have my free HD DVR, dish and install set up for next wednesday installation. Thanks again!

I want to thank all of you for your sharing of information. I've been waiting to upgrade to HD, did a google search tonight and ended up on this thread. 18 minutes on the telephone with DTV later, I have my free HD DVR, dish and install set up for next wednesday installation. Thanks again!

Good for you!

And, :welcome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)