Uplink Activity 5/09/08 6:45 PM EDT 87 changes

If the reported info is true, then it is sad that Dish has chosen to uplink "West" HD channels prior to having all the other channels from that provider (i.e. "Cinemax West" instead of "MO-MAX").

The West channels have the exact same programming. :( At this point, the number of Premium subscribers with HD and without a DVR, and on the West Coast, has to be a tiny fraction...

I would much rather have MO-MAX than Max W. Max W is nothing more than a duplicate of what I already have on MAX E. Besides, MO-MAX was on the "Charlie Chat list". The only thing I need less than Max W is WFN-HD.

...and notice the lack of Viacom & Rainbow Media channels (BET, Nick, MTV, CMT, VH1, AMC, IFC)...

Hmmm...I believe we've heard those two media magnates in litigious actions with E* over the years (the CBS debacle & the current VOOM "issues") ...can't imagine they'd have problems negotiating with one another, can we? ;)

I would much rather have MO-MAX than Max W. Max W is nothing more than a duplicate of what I already have on MAX E. Besides, MO-MAX was on the "Charlie Chat list". The only thing I need less than Max W is WFN-HD.

I Agree IMO, but I can see why those in the west would like to have it. Seems like they'd add MOMAX over 5-star MAX, though, unless they are shooting for the "more variety" angle.

I'd be interested in knowing whether channels are in the habit of giving Dish actual content for testing before they have a contract. Because some of these channels were said to be showing live video on Dish for quite a while (I don't think they were even scrambled at first, just not given proper program table entries), and as far as I know they're all distributed either scrambled or closed-circuit. So either they're all letting Dish have their content before they get a contract, which seems foolish...

How would that be different than any company giving a potential customer a copy or sample of a product for testing and evaluation purposes? While there is always a chance of pirating, it's not like E* is going to give the "evaluation" signal to the subs w/o an agreement in place. (Except in the TBS case of giving the signal to their employees, and we all saw what happened when E* got caught red-handed on that one)

A quick question for the more technically inclined among us: It appears that E* got these up by foregoing the Eastern Arc feeds. Any ideas on how much space is left on 61.5 to add more HD in the near term? Or is this big roll out pretty much it? (By my novice count they gained a total of 4 TPs on 61.5- 2 from Sky Angel, 2 from converting NYC and Boston to spot. That's room for what, 28 National HD channels? But wouldn't they want to keep a TP empty in case something goes wrong with a TP that is being used?)

I realized after initially posting that E* was testing 5 Temp HD channels before gaining any of these TPs. So adding that in, I estimate the over under on capacity for National HD channels to be 33.

I guess it also means that IF they do light up these hd channels that Eastern Arc will be put on hold for a few months.

Where did this list come from? Its different than what was reported by the banned one, and is sorta outta line with the Charlie Chat screen captures from March. I know things change, and E* may now be adding CNBC, Mojo, WFN, 5-Star Max, Max W, Hallmark Movie, Show W, and TMC E, instead of some of some of the possible 25 announced on the last Charlie Chat, but why and how is this list more official than what the banned one provided? I'm really just trying to understand the why and how of this list, and I'm not attempting to argue its validity.

Oh, and I like Tony's list!...and notice the lack of Viacom & Rainbow Media channels (BET, Nick, MTV, CMT, VH1, AMC, IFC)...

"official" is not involved in this info. Reports from anon sources may be quite prevalent. Changes may happen. No new channels are being provided to subscribers. Whole picture may change if legal affairs situation changes.

Dang, I'm going to have to subscribe to Cinemax again.

CNBC is good news because of the Olympics, I was surprised it didn't come up in the last batch.

Of the "missing" channels, the only one I'd be missing is IFC. I suppose the Voom issue put the brakes on that. Relatively good news all around, even if only half of it comes true.

Oh, and though I've been annoyed with SatelliteGuys lately, this thread shows why I stay. Hackers get banned, even when they have useful information, yet we still get the BENEFIT of the information. :D Still, it's a little fishy. Does TWC even have an HD signal up yet?

Oh, and though I've been annoyed with SatelliteGuys lately, this thread shows why I stay. Hackers get banned, even when they have useful information, yet we still get the BENEFIT of the information. :D Still, it's a little fishy. Does TWC even have an HD signal up yet?

It's kind of like sending a murderer to prison. Do we let him go just because we all hated the victim? Do we kill the victim's wife because she had life insurance on him.

The only one punished is the one who broke the rules. No point in undoing what he's said. If anything, leaving the posts intact just points out that this board won't tolerate hackers even if they try to "contribute" in a way they see as positive.

As for him not getting banned sooner, I imagine not every staff member here knows for sure how to interpret what is hacking when the post isn't outright about it. Now, if the guy came on here asking why he can't suddenly see Showtime on DISH with his Coolsat, that would be a different story. Although he is probably for certain a hacker, I imagine DISH does have people who have the equipment to watch these TMP channels to ensure they are running smooth before public release. It would be great if that sort of inside information was being disseminated on this forum, but I agree that getting such data from a hacker posting on this forum shouldn't happen because hackers shouldn't be here to begin with.

I do wonder, if one were to go to some of the hacker forums and see what they are reporting as being on the TMP channels and then relayed that information here, is that a no-no?

I count 9 Tps still in QPSK mode at 61.5. So, the status of EA is far from known. It is known there was/is a technical glitch to be resolved.

Dish could still move ahead with these TPs, but it will take months to move all these international channels and get new dishes out to all the subscribers. I am surprised that they did not launch an emergency relocation of these when AMC-14 had its problems. They could have made serious progress if they had started right away.

My company partners with Dish but we surely don't know anything until the day of or after.
It's a "need to know" basis.... Don't know in what capacity your company deals with Dish, but some don't need to know the number of HD customers Dish has. If your company stamps out their dishes or makes the buttons for remote-controls, why does the number of HD customers matter ?

A channel or network can ask, and will likely be told. They are going to want "x" dollars or cents per month from Dish on a per-customer basis.

I do wonder, if one were to go to some of the hacker forums and see what they are reporting as being on the TMP channels and then relayed that information here, is that a no-no?
Have to say it won't be allowed.... All a "hacker" has to do is claim they got their information from another site and that they aren't doing anything illegal, just passing on info.

Dish could still move ahead with these TPs, but it will take months to move all these international channels and get new dishes out to all the subscribers. I am surprised that they did not launch an emergency relocation of these when AMC-14 had its problems. They could have made serious progress if they had started right away.
How about just doing a switch to MPEG4. Just need new receivers if they don't already have VIP211 or higher.

Have to say it won't be allowed.... All a "hacker" has to do is claim they got their information from another site and that they aren't doing anything illegal, just passing on info.

I have to disagree. In this very thread, a staff member listed what the last four Temp channels are reported to be. Since the channels are encrypted the reports are either coming from a hacker or from someone inside E* that is leaking the info.

A lot of information and speculation on this site are reports from 3rd party sources. So as long as a poster doesn't say "Hacker X says the channels are a, b, and c" and instead remains vague about the source then I think it's likely to be allowed.

Again, anyone providing rumors could be a hacker, but until they come out and give some indication of it, on what basis will you decide what is permissible and what isn't?

(Hopefully, that didn't sound confrontational. If there's a good way to determine distinguish hackers from the rest, I'm all ears.)

It's a "need to know" basis.... Don't know in what capacity your company deals with Dish, but some don't need to know the number of HD customers Dish has. If your company stamps out their dishes or makes the buttons for remote-controls, why does the number of HD customers matter ?

A channel or network can ask, and will likely be told. They are going to want "x" dollars or cents per month from Dish on a per-customer basis.

My response was in regards to knowing when new HD channels or any channels will be available........not as to how many hd subscribers they have. . I frankly can care less about that.

A lot of information and speculation on this site are reports from 3rd party sources. So as long as a poster doesn't say "Hacker X says the channels are a, b, and c" and instead remains vague about the source then I think it's likely to be allowed.
.)
I agree! this person didn't once try and tell you how to Hack into anything . So just because he did this on his own ,and shared barely any information what so ever!. He stated channel names ! Who really care's? He didn't tell you what receiver he's using, or what he did. So how is this Hack talk? Whats the difference between Uplink reports and what this so called Hacker posts? If uplinks were anyone's business ,don't you think all Dishnetwork customers would get one in their monthy statement?

this person didn't once try and tell you how to Hack into anything . So just because he did this on his own ,and shared barely any information what so ever!. He stated channel names ! Who really care's? He didn't tell you what receiver he's using, or what he did. So how is this Hack talk?

Hmmm...gotta kind of agree with these points.

He could have just been making stuff up too. If I was going to lie, I'd try to figure out a way to make it look legit. I'd think to myself "Hey, why are there 4 channels in the 300s?" and make up a sensible reason why.

BTW, I'd love it if they would move all the HD only channels down there. There's 21 HD only channels now, there will be 25 if these go through. Maybe put the HD-Only movie channels in the 360s, and all the others 370-399

Actually, I'd like to see them do a whole renumbering project like they used to do way back when. (Not sure if I ever saw DISH do one, but I remember one at Direct.) Since they are doing channel mapdowns anyway, why not integrate the HD channels among the rest?

When I was in college, I took a programming class, and we actually had to design a hypothetical cable system and explain why we were placing what where. Of course, it was channels 2 -37 only, so it wasn't much of a challenge.

I wonder if Voom has requirements that their channels be placed together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)