Uplink Activity Report - 12/13/2006 - 11 changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
interesting, as hall thought, what if someone wants to record both HD and SD, so they can for instance dump the huge HD version when they need more space but still be able to watch the movie? I agree this is a great feature but hopefully there will be some way to turn it off for the rare times it's necessary. plus what you guys said while I was typing about espn.

I could see this remapping issue being a problem on a 622 in dual mode, where viewer on TV1 wants HBO HD from 300, and the viewer on TV 2 wants HBO on 300. Are they going to have an enable-per-tuner option on this?

what if someone wants to record both HD and SD, so they can for instance dump the huge HD version when they need more space but still be able to watch the movie?
Scenarios like that are rather unique and I would hope Dish doesn't spend many resources accommodating that.....

so say one has a 942 or 622 you say 140 espn now espn hd on hd irds so on hd ird are there 2 espn's at 140 espn and espn hd or is there just espn hd noiw at 140
I'm trying to make sense of this.... Does ESPN and ESPN-HD run the same programming at the same time ?? If so, they'll re-map the 94xx ESPN-HD channel to the 1xx ESPN slot. If ESPN and ESPN-HD show different programming, there will be NO re-mapping.

Let's presume ESPN and ESPN-HD show the same thing, i.e. they simulcast, as you suspect they do. Channel 140, formerly ESPN, would now effectively be ESPN-HD (channel 94xx).

I think simulcasting is a great idea. FWIW, my local TWC was planning to do the same thing with re-mapping the digital locals from the 7xx range, i.e. my local CBS is ch 7 (ota and analog cable) and ch 707 on digital cable. If a customer had a set-top box, ch 7 would in fact be "707".

Face it, too many people have HDTVs but think everything they watch is in HD. I mean, this doesn't educate them, but at least it might be a kick in the head for some.... I mean, I'll guarantee there are those who know there's an ESPN-HD. They've got an HDTV, HD service from Dish, and think ESPN (ch 140) is in fact ESPN in HD (ESPN-HD).

I agree with hall that this is the way to go for the future with more and more stations going HD.

I could see this remapping issue being a problem on a 622 in dual mode, where viewer on TV1 wants HBO HD from 300, and the viewer on TV 2 wants HBO on 300. Are they going to have an enable-per-tuner option on this?
Jeez, they're living in the same house, watching the same show! Get them into the same room and watch the show in HD.

I have one complaint about re-mapping. If the source isn't HD, I don't want to waste DVR space on the HD channel. For example, WSOP on ESPN and ESPN-HD is standard def. Why waste 5x the space on my DVR just to see the gray ESPN bars on the side?

Very good point. When my local digital station is broadcasting a program that I want to record and it happens to be SD, I always record the SD mapped local in the 8000's range so as to not waste HD capacity on a SD program. DVR users should be given the opportunity to do the same if they want to DVD a SD version of the program whether or not that program is HD or not on HBO HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)