Uplink Activity Report - 12/17/2008 6:07pm - 5 changes

D

DigiSAT Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 12/17/2008 6:07pm - 5 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 12/17/2008 05:42P - 12/17/2008 06:07P

Channel Additions:
6150 - LTD13 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar11 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (NA)
6151 - LTD14 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar11 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (NA)
6152 - LTD15 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar11 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (NA)
6154 - LTD17 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar11 110W TP 19 ConUS beam (NA)
6155 - LTD18 [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar11 110W TP 06 ConUS beam (NA)

Channels in the system: 5910
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers

KOMO listed other network's compensation for carriage, but didn't list what they wanted from Dish...

I'm getting weary of these disagreements...Charlie makes lots of $ from this satellite enterprise...he's gonna raise rates again in Feb. Time to quit pinching pennies and stop disrupting our carriage of channels...

KOMO listed other network's compensation for carriage, but didn't list what they wanted from Dish...

I'm getting weary of these disagreements...Charlie makes lots of $ from this satellite enterprise...he's gonna raise rates again in Feb. Time to quit pinching pennies and stop disrupting our carriage of channels...

Well what do you want to pay for your channels? If he paid the top 4 $1/month/sub would you go for the $3 more per month that it would cost dish (assuming they pay the big 4 an average of 25 cents a month)?

How about $3x4/month/sub in line with ESPN? Ready to pay $17/month for your locals?

Where does it end?

Dish is carrying ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNews in HD, and also Espn classic and EspnU in SD. Charlie has been notably silent about carrying ESPNU HD. This may--and I'm speculating--be one of those situations where Charlie is not "negotiating" for coverage. Either coverage will begin when Ciel-2 becomes active, or Disney has simply asked so much for coverage that Dish isn't even bothering to negotiate. I haven't heard what Disney is asking per subscriber for ESPNU HD--I would guess a couple of dollars per month.

Dish is carrying ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNews in HD, and also Espn classic and EspnU in SD. Charlie has been notably silent about carrying ESPNU HD. This may--and I'm speculating--be one of those situations where Charlie is not "negotiating" for coverage. Either coverage will begin when Ciel-2 becomes active, or Disney has simply asked so much for coverage that Dish isn't even bothering to negotiate. I haven't heard what Disney is asking per subscriber for ESPNU HD--I would guess a couple of dollars per month.

Even the "sports leader" D* isn't carrying ESPN U. FIOS and a few cable providers carry it. Dish probably won't add it until after the NCAA tourney to keep rates low. This is just pure speculation on my part.

Charlie promised that all new National HD (non premium) channels added this year (2008) would be included into the Absolute HD package. He's waiting till January (2009), at the earliest, before he adds any more National HD channels. So, he can entice those Absolute HD benefactors to switch over to one of the Turbo HD packages, that will still get new HD after the first of the year, when the Absolute HD package will no longer get any more HD and will be locked as is, and no one will be able to get the Absolute HD package any more, only the ones already with it will be locked in it, unless they opt to go to one of the Turbo HD packages, that may have that particular HD channel they hunger for.....
Just my thoughts on why Charlie hasn't added any more National HD channels....

Charlie promised that all new National HD (non premium) channels added this year (2008) would be included into the Absolute HD package. He's waiting till January (2009), at the earliest, before he adds any more National HD channels. So, he can entice those Absolute HD benefactors to switch over to one of the Turbo HD packages, that will still get new HD after the first of the year, when the Absolute HD package will no longer get any more HD and will be locked as is, and no one will be able to get the Absolute HD package any more, only the ones already with it will be locked in it, unless they opt to go to one of the Turbo HD packages, that may have that particular HD channel they hunger for.....
Just my thoughts on why Charlie hasn't added any more National HD channels....
Add to that a significant price increase on the remaining packages and you start to get the picture of what Mr Charles is really all about.:(

Charlie the tuna is about making money.
An honest pursuit of profit is fine.
An honest attempt to recover expenses is fine.
The use of misleading or ambiguous tactics to do either is not fine.

The reneging of launching new national HD by the end of 2008 (that was strongly implied earlier this Fall) until after he can restructure pricing (to Dish's benefit no ours of course) is tacky at best, underhanded at worst. Restructuring the packages is simply the usual smoke & mirrors distraction from what he's really up to.

Y'know, the funny part is that if you watch DN through an "alternate" source you will find they are still showing the blacked out locals. In fact unless you do a re-scan, you won't even see the apology videos.

-A- But that's only what I've heard. I don't advocate piracy, just telling you what's going on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)