Uplink Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
Well, we're looking at putting together an SNG trailer at the station I work for. I'm in charge of the project (since I have "the most experience with satellites" due to my FTA hobby) despite having NO experience with uplinks.

Anyway--the first question I figured I should look into is FCC licensing. I know a license is required for a microwave ENG system, but can anyone here tell me if a license is required for satellite transmission?

Also, any ideas as to what it costs to rent space for, say, a half hour of uplink time?

Finally, who would we talk to to actually buy the satellite space?

I understand if nobody here has experience with uplinks and the cost associated (after all, most of the talk here is about FTA downlinks), but I figured this would be the first place to start looking!

Thanks in advance for any help!

hotwire132002 said:
Well, we're looking at putting together an SNG trailer at the station I work for. I'm in charge of the project (since I have "the most experience with satellites" due to my FTA hobby) despite having NO experience with uplinks.

Anyway--the first question I figured I should look into is FCC licensing. I know a license is required for a microwave ENG system, but can anyone here tell me if a license is required for satellite transmission?

Yes a license is required for the antenna; however an operator does not require an FCC license to operate/transmit from the vehicle/trailer.

hotwire132002 said:
Also, any ideas as to what it costs to rent space for, say, a half hour of uplink time?

Cost can vary greatly depending on who you go through and what satellite you are on. For a half an hour digital 5MHz slice I would guess from $100 - $300. Some satellite owners/lessees lease 5 minute increments and others will do 10 and some are 15. I would recommend talking to your Networks Satellite Operations Center. They may be able to give you a break on price since they lease large amounts of space on several birds.

hotwire132002 said:
Finally, who would we talk to to actually buy the satellite space?

I understand if nobody here has experience with uplinks and the cost associated (after all, most of the talk here is about FTA downlinks), but I figured this would be the first place to start looking!

Thanks in advance for any help!
One other thing - you may want to look at a van instead of a trailer. Frontline Communications is where STS trucks were built.

www.frontlinecomm.com

Neal

No Strings said:
Yes a license is required for the antenna; however an operator does not require an FCC license to operate/transmit from the vehicle/trailer.

Cost can vary greatly depending on who you go through and what satellite you are on. For a half an hour digital 5MHz slice I would guess from $100 - $300. Some satellite owners/lessees lease 5 minute increments and others will do 10 and some are 15. I would recommend talking to your Networks Satellite Operations Center. They may be able to give you a break on price since they lease large amounts of space on several birds.

One other thing - you may want to look at a van instead of a trailer. Frontline Communications is where STS trucks were built,

Neal

Thanks for the advice! That helped a ton :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)