Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
UPLINK ACTIVITY: SAMPLE TAKEN 01-07-2009 01:01:59 TO 01-07-2009 01:03:06 ET

TRANSPONDER CHANGES

CHANGE Tp 27 Spot 9 EchoStar 10 110w ,QPSK SR 20000 FEC 5/6
TO Tp 27 Spot 9 EchoStar 10 110w ,QPSK SR 20000 FEC 7/8

0 CHANGE(S) 5953 CHANNELS IN THE SYSTEM

Looks like Rochester, Buffalo and Jamestown NY locals on this spot/TP. Already 13 locals there. Someone trying to squeeze in under must carry, forcing Dish to make space?

Well, if it was causing problems, I imagine we would be flooded with people from Buffalo and Rochester complaining about losing their locals. I'd say it's working so far. Who knows, though, when the first rainfall comes to western NY.

Looks like Rochester, Buffalo and Jamestown NY locals on this spot/TP. Already 13 locals there. Someone trying to squeeze in under must carry, forcing Dish to make space?

Sorry for being a noob, but what does this mean? Another channel for us? I'm in the Buffalo metro area. As for rain fade, it was raining here yesterday (snowing today) and my dish was fine.

It means less forward error correction. FEC... 7/8 means they push less ability for a failed data stream to correct itself hence if it arrives on the other end faulty theres less error bits in the stream for fixing the fault and the signal will be affected (pixelated or otherwise just not there in rain)

I'll have remember to check this when I get home. Since the Dish signal meter also measures quality, it would be interesting to compare TP 27 to 29 and 31 to see what the practical difference is (as I am also in E10 spot 9).

It means less forward error correction. FEC... 7/8 means they push less ability for a failed data stream to correct itself hence if it arrives on the other end faulty theres less error bits in the stream for fixing the fault and the signal will be affected (pixelated or otherwise just not there in rain)

Ahh, thanks.

I'll have remember to check this when I get home. Since the Dish signal meter also measures quality, it would be interesting to compare TP 27 to 29 and 31 to see what the practical difference is (as I am also in E10 spot 9).

Well, TP27 is not topping out at '3' on the meter (I think I had at least a marginal signal before). TP 29 I have 52 and TP 31 is 62.

Seems the addition of WMFD (3 entries up) is the answer to this transponder change. WNGS (Buffalo) was moved to TP 27 and WMFD was added in its place on TP 29.