UPS Back-up Protection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cavsolutions

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
St. Thomas, USVI
Hello, i've been "lurking around" for quite some time now as a guest. I'd first off like to say I am greatfull for this forum and the QUALITY members here.... felt like I've know you guys for long time :). Needless to say, I've learned quite a bit over the last several months i've been "in-hiding" LOL :D
I run a small FTA outfit (Glorystar) here in the US Virgin Islands (18.35N, 64.93W) and am currently trying to expand to the broader Caribbean.

What I am curious about is regarding utilizing a UPS Battery Backup system as an alternate means for grouding a FTA install. Some of the bigger UPS's like the APC 750's have F jacks on them to offer coaxial cable protection. Could one of these UPS's work as an "alternate" means for grounding/protecting an FTA setup as opposed to the standard groundblock configuration?

Just keep in mind that single point grounding is the way to protect your system. If you have two grounds seperated by more then 10 feet you will develop a large voltage and current between the two points during a lightning stroke. However, to increase your ground conductivety in the soil you have requires special grounding. Either a chemical well or multiple ground rods driven in a path away from your system and all daisy chained together.

Ok... I follow.... but is it even feasible to forgo the ground block route in favor of the UPS's F jacks providing the "ground protection" instead of the traditional ground block route.

Case in Point... I have an install where the dish had to be mounted on the side of the building about two floors up. The dish had to be positioned this high up the side of the building to compensate for lack of LOS issues lower down to the ground. Their are 2 coax cables that are on the side of the building, 1 from the dish to the ground block and back up the wall from the ground block to the point of entry back up the wall adjacent to the dish. It's a bit unsightly as it's a rather visible high traffic area hence my quest for an alternate ground option. So..... basically what I was wondering is if I could go from the dish to the Point of Entry a mere few feet away, and once the coax cable is on the inside, I then connect to the UPS F jacks for the ground protection and then oward to the sat receiver.
Any further thoughts to this "unusual" proposal???:)

Two considerations that come to mind.
1- Insertion loss of F block UPS device.
2- I don't see any commercial installations in my area that use the F ground block outside, unless the Electric Meter and ground are close by.

I believe code requires the dish ground to be carried to the commercial power ground directly. In my case DN brought the cable into the house and put the F block ground within 3 feet of the breaker box. The breaker box ground went all the way back to the water meter on the otherside of the house. This is an application of code where no logic applies.

Never rely on your house wireing to conduct an electrical ground for your outside antennas whether they be TV, FM or Dish.

What ever you do check your local code and follow that !!!!!!!

Looking at 2002 NEC 820.40(A)(4) .
"Length of grounding conductor for Coaxial Cable Protection"

...as short as practicable, not to exceed 6m ( 20 feet ).
The length of the conductor impacts on to the effectiveness of the grounding conductor
to provide a low impedance patch to ground to dissipate lightning energy.

-from NFPA , analysis of changes 2002 NEC.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts