UPS Without Audible Alarm

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I am looking for a Uninterrupted Power Supply that either has no audible alarm or one that can be disabled permanently without a computer. can anyone help or am i just dreaming?

Check this one out: Belkin AP30800. Tripp Lite LCD units apparently have this feature too.

Some older UPS units used to have a dip switch on the back. But these days most units are controlled via software.

If you can disassemble your unit and find the buzzer - just cut the wire to it - that should do it! Or simply cover it with some tape to make it less loud. ;)

Thanks Ilya but both of those companies have told me that they do not offer an UPS wihout an alarm and do not intend to. They cl;aim that all you can do is shutoff an ongoing alarm.

Thanks Ilya but both of those companies have told me that they do not offer an UPS wihout an alarm and do not intend to.

Here is the manual for Belkin AP30800. Check out the picture of rear panel on page 4. It shows the Alert Sound on/off switch. :)
http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74699fc-a_ap30800fc10-blk_manual.pdf

Also on Page 7 it states:

There are two ways to disable the audible alarm:

1. Set the Alert Sound ON/OFF Switch to the OFF position. When in the
OFF position, the audible alarm will not sound when the Belkin PureAV
Battery Backup is in the backup mode.

2. While the Battery Backup is in battery-backup mode, push the “ON/
OFF/TEST” button less than 1.5 seconds to silence the audible alarm.

As I said above they claim that only shuts off the current alarm. I am not saying tou are wrong just telling you what they told me. Frankly I am confused. And ilya I do appreciate the adcice.

The “ON/OFF/TEST" button will silence the current alarm. While the ON/OFF switch on the back will prevent future alarms. That's what the manual states: When in the OFF position, the audible alarm will not sound when the Belkin PureAV Battery Backup is in the backup mode.

Also here is what some online user reviews state: One little feature I *really* appreciate is the switch to disable the "on battery" alarm.

Or this one: ...offers a UPS function with the ability to turn off the alarm.

If you are still not convinced, then call Belkin and ask them what does that switch on the back do. ;)

Just find the most fitting one for price and performance that you want, then open it up and cut the speaker wire for the audible alarm.

The “ON/OFF/TEST" button will silence the current alarm. While the ON/OFF switch on the back will prevent future alarms. That's what the manual states: When in the OFF position, the audible alarm will not sound when the Belkin PureAV Battery Backup is in the backup mode.

Also here is what some online user reviews state: One little feature I *really* appreciate is the switch to disable the "on battery" alarm.

Or this one: ...offers a UPS function with the ability to turn off the alarm.

If you are still not convinced, then call Belkin and ask them what does that switch on the back do. ;)

I did contact them ilya, Tht is what i told you. I also said I don't know that you are wrong just that what they said isw to say the least confusin.

Agin thqnks for the recommendation. I am sorry to have brought up what the customer service folks told me.

Just hook up the UPS to a computer and set the alarm setting there and then unhook it from the computer and move it where you want it.

Well, the CSR was obviously wrong. This wouldn't be the first time would it? :D
Perhaps the CSR was unaware of this particular model (intended specifically for home theater applications).
Anyway, I think we have answered your original question: gave you an example of a UPS that does have the capability to disable the alarm and mentioned three other ways to achieve the same: through the software (and as ramy pointed out you only need to use it once), by cutting the wire to the buzzer and by covering the buzzer with some tape, which won't disable it, but will make it less loud.

Good luck!

I give up already Ilya! I never told you I believed the CSR over up. let's just move on.

BTW RAmy the devices that are software switchable have to stay connected to the computer to shut off the alarm. i leasrned that the hard way.

Last edited: