US channels in SE Asia?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danjenkins99

Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
California
Hi everyone
I'm not sure if this topic has been introduced, so I'll give it a shot. I will be moving overseas in two years( southeast asia) does any one know if there are satellites that beam US stations in that direction? and if so the co ordinates? And I thank everyone for all the great posts, I've learned a lot.

Hi everyone
I'm not sure if this topic has been introduced, so I'll give it a shot. I will be moving overseas in two years( southeast asia) does any one know if there are satellites that beam US stations in that direction? and if so the co ordinates? And I thank everyone for all the great posts, I've learned a lot.

You should start a new thread not just jump into an existing thread and ask a totally different question(s).

It would help if I knew what country specifically you are moving to. Since 2000 I have spent a fair amount of time in Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines and quick visits to Malaysia, Macau, and Shenzen. 2003 and 2004 were the only years I have not traveled to Asia. So I will speak on a broad scope. Also, the person suggesting lyngsat is correct to show you how very little is on satellite (that is itc).

As for television, (and I am not specifically talking satellite) they really do not have any "American" channels. There is however a fair amount of American programming. With the exception of Fox News (in the Philippines) the brand names channels like ESPN are not programmed as in the US. ESPN shows some mlb, very little US tackle football, and a whole bunch of tennis, soccer, golf, etc. If you are going to the Philippines, it is ironic that the country loves basketball. It is huge there, there is one channel that is strictly for basketball, and it shows some of the Philippines leagues, some from the NBA network, they have the USA NCAA rights. I do not think this channel is in any of the other countries.

Lots of channels there will buy the rights to various US programming and show it on their branded station. Strangely, I like HBO a lot more there than in the US, they rarely show the crappy HBO series productions but do show a lot more movies (older ones but still more interesting than the stuff HBO makes).

If you are into sports, there was one company offering several channels of sports from around the world (Ben Sports). I looked at their website about a month ago and it appears it may be oob, understandable since they were charging around what amounted to US$10/PER DAY. In 2007 when they first started they had a freeview of one of their channels and it looked like they picked up backhauls from around the world and fed them to Asia. There is a company called Star which is owned by News Corp. and similar to what they do here in the US for foreign languages, they have purchased US programming and have several networks which offer certain genre (AXN is action tv which really has evolved into a dumb reality programs network).

If you really want US television channels, your best bet maybe to ask a relative or very good friend to host a Slingbox for you. I have not tried mine there yet but may do so this summer when we go for a couple of months.

Good luck to you on your move. I love going to Asia. Met my wife, a Filipina, during a trip to Hong Kong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts