MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII) 292K
LEFT 4 DEAD (360) 243K
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* (360) 235K
SKATE 2 (360) 199K
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* (WII) 155K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (DS) 135K
MARIO KART DS (DS )132K
LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST (360) 113K

What people often don't mention, when it comes to the price of the PS3 vs. the 360, $100 more for the PS3 gets you wireless Internet (no special adapter needed), blu-ray playback, and unlimited online play... purchased separately, that alone is worth more than $399! Sony just needs to do a better job of getting that message across, and, oh yeah, the games. ;)

You're assuming everyone wants Blu-Ray playback and wireless, and by bundling them they're making 100% of purchasers pay for the feature when not everyone would buy it for that reason.

Sony commented about this month's NPD by pretending January doesn't exist:

"The PlayStation brand experienced a record year in sales in 2008 and we have every reason to believe our blockbuster line up combined with PS3's position as the best Blu-ray player and most sophisticated entertainment device out there, will continue to fuel increased marketshare and momentum into 2009. We've truly upped the ante this year with an unmatched software lineup ahead, kickstarting with the much anticipated and platform-moving title Killzone 2 later this month. We're the only company to offer three viable platforms today and will continue to deliver a seamless and comprehensive entertainment experience to our customers for many years to come."

SCEA almost responds to lackluster January NPD results - Joystiq [PlayStation]

No reason? Please enlighten me...

It's clear that despite all of the reasons to own a PS3, most consumers think it isn't worth it. The fact that it is so feature packed have led to Sony saying the PS3 is still in it's 'early adopter' phase when in reality with this economy they couldnt look stupider after their 'people will want to pay more' for '4d graphics' since 'they aren't worried about their competition' statements over the life of this console generation.

'No' reason, certainly is incorrect... not enough of a reason to justify the price, the numbers speak for themselves there. Until they cut the price, the PS3 will continue to sell less units than they did the same time last year.

arsconsolerevischart580.jpg

What people often don't mention, when it comes to the price of the PS3 vs. the 360, $100 more for the PS3 gets you wireless Internet (no special adapter needed), blu-ray playback, and unlimited online play... purchased separately, that alone is worth more than $399! Sony just needs to do a better job of getting that message across, and, oh yeah, the games. ;)

If you don't need those things then it's not a selling point. My best friend is in the market for a new system, but he doesn't care about wireless gaming, or even internet gaming in general, nor does he care about Blu Ray. I can't even sell him on the idea that his big PS2 library of games would at least work, because the PS3 doesn't even have that!

Sony's problem is that they only way they can sell their GAMING system is by hyping all their features that have little to nothing to do with actual GAMING. They try and push stuff like Blu Ray and PSN Home and the like, but if all you want to do is sit down and play games, there are very few compelling reasons to pick a PS3 over a 360.

I own all 3 systems, and my 360 gets much more usage overall than the other 2 combined (unless you count playing "Eternal Darkness" on the GC-enabled Wii, which makes it a bit more even.) My PS3 gets more usage as a video player than it does a game machine, but that's because I put movies on my thumbdrive and then play them on the PS3 on my 50" plasma or 30" CRT. Yes, it is a great feature, but it doesn't do anything to bolster the GAMING aspect of my machine.

Strip every non-game feature, and you essentially have a $200 gaming machine versus a $400 gaming machine of nearly equal audio/video quality. Also consider that the cheaper gaming machine has a much bigger game library than the $400 gaming machine. As an ENTERTAINMENT machine, the PS3 may be a better value out of the box, but as a GAMING machine, the 360 wins hands down.

What Sony needs to do, is make sure all models of the PS3 have PS2 compatibility, and then kill off the PS2 sales. The PS2 sales continue to cannibalize a lot of the PS3 sales.

As it is, Nintendo continues to dominate with it's Wii and DS, turning both Sony and Microsoft into also rans.

I agree.

Sony is hurting itself by keeping the PS2 for this long.

At least half of those sales would go PS3 if they didn't have the cheaper choice..

I agree.

Sony is hurting itself by keeping the PS2 for this long.

At least half of those sales would go PS3 if they didn't have the cheaper choice..
Not necessarily. Many people still have their PS2's, and not everyone is willing to jump into a $400 investment just because their PS2 dies.

PS2 hardware makes them money I presume, more reason not to end it prematurely until sales volume decreases to a cerain point internally where it starts becoming less profitable to keep them on shelves. They'll take every penny in the black they can get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)