US Locals eligible in Canada.

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
The following is the latest Canadian CRTC list of eligible US locals and independents allowed for carriage by cable companies and satellite providers in Canada as of Dec.22, 2006.

Not all are carried by any particular company, but all are eligible nationwide.

WHDH-TV Boston/WGRZ-TV Buffalo/WPTZ Burlington/
WDIV Detroit/WICU-TV Erie/KARE Minneapolis/
KHQ-TV Spokane/KING-TV Seattle (NBC)

WGBH-TV Boston/WNED-TV Buffalo/WETK Burlington/
WTVS Detroit/WQLN Erie/KSPS-TV Spokane/KCTS-TV Seattle (PBS)

WBZ-TV Boston/WIVB-TV Buffalo/WCAX-TV Burlington/
WSEE Erie/WTOL-TV Toledo/WCCO-TV Minneapolis/
KREM-TV Spokane/KIRO-TV Seattle/WWJ-TV Detroit (CBS)

WCVB-TV Boston/WKBW-TV Buffalo/WVNY Burlington/
WXYZ-TV Detroit/WJET-TV Erie/KSTP-TV Minneapolis/
KXLY-TV Spokane/KOMO-TV Seattle ( ABC)

WUTV Buffalo/WFFF-TV Burlington/WFTC Minneapolis/
WUHF Rochester/KAYU-TV Spokane/KCPQ Tacoma/
WFXT Boston ( FOX)

KSTW (IND) Tacoma/Seattle*
KTLA Los Angeles

KWGN-TV Denver
WGN-TV Chicago

WPIX New York City
WSBK-TV Boston

WTBS Atlanta
WUAB-TV (IND) Cleveland*
WWOR-TV New York City

Its a shame that Cleveland, Oh locals are not eligable or on any provider...I would actually pay for those, Cleveland has some of the best local (late night) programming including "big Chuck & Lil John" (the best), "the Cool ghoul" and "the Ghoul" plus it would be nice to get news from where I grew up.

kinda interesting they have KSTP form MInneapolis on there even though nobody that I know of carries it

Winnipeg carries WDAZ from Grand Forks as ABC (some carry WXYZ). Most of Manitoba carries WCCO (CBS) and KARE (NBC) from Minneapolis. The weather guys even say hi to Winnipeg on the news :)

Most Central time zone/NW Ontario cable comapnies have WUHF Rochester NY as the fox affiliate.

Its a shame that Cleveland, Oh locals are not eligable or on any provider...I would actually pay for those, Cleveland has some of the best local (late night) programming including "big Chuck & Lil John" (the best), "the Cool ghoul" and "the Ghoul" plus it would be nice to get news from where I grew up.

I am in the eastern time zone and would like to have Denver locals with their 1 hour later than eastern programs on Star Choice. I used to have Denver with the Dish Network distants.

The CRTC has mostly allowed but not exclusively, border cities into Canada.
Some of the Canadian maritime people have ties through visiting the Boston area.
Montrèal people have ties through visits to Burlington,VT.
Toronto ties in with Buffalo,NY and gets Rochester,NY- Fox as an outlet that doesn't black anything out and news from another area.
South western Ontario gets Detroit because of trips into Michigan. (Love Frankenmuth).
As you go west, the same applies. People from both countries usually visit nearby areas.
I believe central Canada has interest and ties with the Denver area but somehow was never considered for eligibility.

I think that Canada and the US probably through the internet, will see more locals from many more cities and towns in the not to distant future. Perhaps Cleveland will be one of the cities.
I also see the departure of VHF/UHF transmitting towers which are getting quite costly and the internet picking up the slack if you will. :hungry:

Most Central time zone/NW Ontario cable comapnies have WUHF Rochester NY as the fox affiliate.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason here is that Rochester, NY doesn't have any particular sporting affiliation with anyone and is just as likely to show a game from NYC as it may also show a game out of Buffalo,NY which might be in black out. It gives viewers a little more to choose from.

Thanks for your insight with the rest of your post.

I knew WDAZ was in Winnipeg because when the ND Fighting Sioux are on there, the announcer always says "hi to our friends watching in Winnipeg and in Manitoba" :)

I knew WDAZ was in Winnipeg because when the ND Fighting Sioux are on there, the announcer always says "hi to our friends watching in Winnipeg and in Manitoba" :)

Do you know if WDAZ is picked up in Manitoba over the airwaves via the VHF/UHF route or is it fibered in?

Its a shame that Cleveland,

Going back 50 + years, the Cleveland channels were the first US stations to be distributed by cable (London, ON). At that time, there were stations from Detroit and Erie as well. But as Erie got more channels, the corresponding Cleveland channel was dropped until now only WUAB is distributed.

Back in the early 70's while at university there, more than 1 late Friday night was spent watching the crazy antics of "Big John & Holihan" - the predecessor to "Big Chuck & Lil John" on WJW

I also see the departure of VHF/UHF transmitting towers which are getting quite costly and the internet picking up the slack if you will. :hungry:

I see just the opposite, OTA is great for HDTV where high speed internet and networking just cant handle that bandwidth. Right now more people are putting up antennas for hdtv channels. OTA is the most convenient, cheapest (free), and has the highest percentage of hdtv channels compared to any other source.

I saw "Eastern New York/Burlington, VT" stations in Montreal, Canada along with one or two Boston channels.

And it also goes the other way. I was in houghton, UMI and saw CBC from Thunder Bay, ON. houghton also had cbs/fox from Greenbay, fox Marquette, abc/nbc (i forget).

I used to work for WTOL, and they were big on saying hi to viewers in Canada every morning. The used to get lots of mail from their Canadian viewers. But when WWJ got approved, most systems switched. I believe the only systems that still carry WTOL are SW Ontario cable systems. Windsor also carries WTVG (ABC) via an off-air signal from Toledo.

KWGN Denver is considered a superstation and is why it makes the list...Similar to other Tribune owned stations, KTLA, WPIX, & WGN.

I'd also pony up some $$ for WTOL and WUAB on *C. It would be nice to see the other Cleveland stations, but that's why they invented the Slingbox.

I hope not because we get our locals with an antenna. Plus I use the internet for radio (because Atlanta radio is dreadful) and I find it unreliable...especially with long distances. I hope your right about getting ditants on the internet...but unless I could watch it on my tv in my living room it is not too useful to me.

WDAZ (Devils Lake-Grand Forks) has a transmitter with a 1457 foot tower located near Petersburg, ND. They have been picked up in Winnipeg and other Manitoba communities since going on the air in the late 1960s through a microwave network with an off-air pickup point on the Canadian side of the border south of Winnipeg.

CBS (KXJB-Fargo) put in a UHF translator at Glasston, ND many years ago, which makes it possible to reach the same pickup point and serve Manitoba.
Former ABC (now NBC) station KVLY (once called KTHI), transmitting from the world's tallest tower at 2063 feet, located near Blanchard, ND, got into the same system with off air pickup directly on Channel 11. Both stations have since been replaced on Winnipeg cable by encrypted C-band satellite feeds of WCCO-CBS and KARE-NBC Minneapolis-St Paul, received on Anik F1.

Winnipeg also receives Prairie Public Television (KGFE-channel 2) from the same transmitting tower as WDAZ.

(I grew up in Grand Forks, and traveled through the Red River Valley extensively in my younger years).