US Satellite TV's future?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd say it is easy to get, but even with a 1 meter dish 30W seems a bit more sensitive to rain fade than anything else we watch. My 30W dish is mounted upside down, looks strange that way.

Hummmm, Just had a WILD idea. I should climb up my 80 foot ham tower and see if I can get past all those trees and hit 30W. Can you think what that would look like with the dish up there up side down?:D

Hummmm, Just had a WILD idea. I should climb up my 80 foot ham tower and see if I can get past all those trees and hit 30W. Can you think what that would look like with the dish up there up side down?:D

When I put a 1m dish towards 30w the dish APPEARS to be aimed directly at my neighbor's glassed in patio. it's like a den for them I suppose, they hang out in there, watch TV, sew, eat, etc..
But that dish looked like it was pointed right smack at them and they flipped out.. They thought I was spying on them or beaming something at them. :rolleyes: It didn't help matters that I've got 9 or 10 dishes out there. They all think I'm a kook. :whistle:
I had to explain the look angle thing to them and they were ok after that. I moved the dish when a junk tree grew up though. :( I may try to put a dish back on it again but I would invert it the next time..

Last edited:
When I put a 1m dish towards 30w the dish APPEARS to be aimed directly at my neighbor's glassed in patio. it's like a den for them I suppose, they hang out in there, watch TV, sew, eat, etc..
But that dish looked like it was pointed right smack at them and they flipped out.. They thought I was spying on them or beaming something at them. :rolleyes: It didn't help matters that I've got 9 or 10 dishes out there.
I had to explain the look angle thing to them and they were ok after that. I moved the dish when a junk tree grew up though. :( I may try to put a dish back on it again but I would invert it the next time..

LOL! I'm picturing this in my head...absolutely hilarious. :D

But that dish looked like it was pointed right smack at them and they flipped out.. They thought I was spying on them or beaming something at them. :rolleyes: It didn't help matters that I've got 9 or 10 dishes out there. They all think I'm a kook. :whistle:

friggin awesome!:eek:

There are lots of foreign channels on Galaxy 19 and Hispasat, and for what reason does all this exist????

The channels on 97W are for a direct-to-home satellite service called Globecast. They provide international programming from around the world. Most of their channels are unencrypted, but some premium channels require a subscription and their receiver.

As for 30W, that is Fidel's propaganda machine, but the movies are a nice touch ;) ...

Hummmm, Just had a WILD idea. I should climb up my 80 foot ham tower and see if I can get past all those trees and hit 30W. Can you think what that would look like with the dish up there up side down? :D

Maybe RT will climb the tower and tweak the dish for you! ;)

There is a guy near me that has a telescoping tower on his property. The previous owner put the tower up and he was a ham man! The guy also had a construction company which I think helped him pay for the thing. The thing is motorized and I think that it will go down to like 30 feet and extends to 120 feet up! There is also a lift that will take a person up to the tower when it is in the lowest position. The current owner is not ham operator and put a OTA antenna on it. The tower attracts lightning strikes when it is fully extended and now he keeps it in the 50 to 60 foot range so he does not have to buy a new TV after every storm. He offered me that tower for a price but how much would it cost to move that monster and how many bags of Quickcrete are in the huge concrete base! :eek:

I am supposed to get 2 10 foot fiberglass dishes and a 8 foot mesh from him. I will probably end up with only the motors and feedhorns from the fiber dishes. :)

I will have to shoot for 30W at some point - I'm pretty blocked on the east, at least that for over, but were I ever to get the dish up on the roof, it will be high on the list of attempts.

Helped a friend get some MiniBUD action on 58 & 55.5. Not too bad results, but I'm kind of wondering if going any more east is going to yield much on a 1.2.

Once you teach that cat how to fake an opposable thumb, you're in trouble!

Anyway, you can always aim it and set the one minute timer - and move FAST! ;)

Once you teach that cat how to fake an opposable thumb, you're in trouble!

Anyway, you can always aim it and set the one minute timer - and move FAST! ;)

Yup, that would be a neat kat trick.
Camera only has a 10 second timer. I'm officially an "old person" as of last month. So, I don't move up that thing that fast. Don't climb it in the winter. And there are three sets of guy wires, and some other stuff in the way to get the belt past.

Meow.

This technology uses multiple 3G and 4G connections and manages the transport stream between multiple and simultaneous connections. If one connection is dropping packets it searches and connects to as many 3G and 4G as needed to support the desired bandwidth.

It can be used even while in motion. Something that isn't possible with satellite or terrestrial backhauls.

Here is an example of the 3G/4G product to be shown at Satellite 2012: http://www.atci.com/datasheets/LiveStreamPac/LiveStreamPac_wPEN.pdf

what is meant by streaming a video over four 3G or 4G bonded networks? That means in order to get enough bandwidth for a reasonable or good quality video signal, you need to have access to four 3G or 4G carriers simultaneously?

I would imagine it is multiple 3G or 4G connections with the stream distributed across the multiple connections. I could see this working well as long as there is reliable cell coverage in the area, but many rural areas are still wastelands when it comes to good cell coverage. Still, interesting to see what innovations new technologies bring :) ...

rural areas are still wastelands when it comes to good cell coverage
I can attest to that. The only thing reliable here was a 3w bag phone, but they turned analog off. So there's little cellular reliability here. Where I needed cell service, it never worked, or worked very poorly. So got rid of the cell, and it's monthly bill, and now I have an electronic secretary on the land-line. Farmers and businesses are installing repeater/boosters in their homes and shops. And to add to the problem, many more phones in use than 5 yrs ago, but no new cell capacity/sites, so many times it's overloaded. Gotta laugh every time I see that "Can ya hear me now" ad. He don't dare come up here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)