USA, Sci-Fi HD Today?

D* had like 8 HD channels for two years, up until, what, 8 months ago? They hemorrhaged viewers during that time. E* has stated the 25 or so national hd channels that are coming. They have launched/announced launches of local HD markets nearly every week for a month. I see them doing something every week for the past month, and their efforts are coming to fruition. Yes, I'd like to see about 3 of those 25 channels immediately, and another 7 this month, but they'll come when they come. My bitchin about it week over week, really isnt going to move the needle at E*. They'll give us what they plan on giving us when they can give it.

I don't see those two being added this week.

A number of folks have reported to me from DirecTV's "Revolution" show down in Florida that they have talked with reps from NBC Universal and those folks say the deal is still not done yet between the too, they are very close but not done yet.

I am only reporting this as I have been told this by more then one person.

BTW I notice that DirecTV has been using USA and SCIFI in their ads to show why their HD is better then Dish Networks HD.

attachment.php

So what was all this last week about them being added, then a technical problem forcing it to this week? You said you saw a Dish memo right? Do you think you were fed a fraudulent memo to influence your readers?

So Scott, do you think we will see anything National today - best "informed" guess? :confused:

I have heard the possibility of only ONE channel coming today, but I am not holding my breath for it. (And the channel in question does not make sense to launch it by itself which also has me in doubt as well)

So like you I will be sitting waiting for the uplink report to see what if anything comes our way today.

I have heard the possibility of only ONE channel coming today, but I am not holding my breath for it. (And the channel in question does not make sense to launch it by itself which also has me in doubt as well)

So like you I will be sitting waiting for the uplink report to see what if anything comes our way today.

Thanks for the info Scott...thats all you can do is report what you hear.

My own deadline for Dish is June 1.......if nothing material in the way of new National HD comes out by then I am going to the "other side".

I think (hope) Scott knows more than he's telling us. This is only judging from clues i've seen at different time on these forums. I just hope my Columbo skills are working, otherwise i'm just a paranoid schizophrenic that needs help.

After all the announcements, and apparent leaks that National HD channels are coming soon, it convinces me that this is all a ploy by E to keep as many subs as possible until they can get their chit together (If they are capable of such). :mad:

I am to the point, I don't believe anything that comes from, or is attributed to E or its employees about more HD. I have seen some weird companies in my lifetime but E gets the prize for the "most befuddling." :confused:

"They really know how to win friends (subs) and influence people (to join)" with their bold pronouncements about being the best and most renown provider of programming on the planet earth. :rolleyes:

Why does everyone here act like two failed sat launches in a year(I think) has no effect on Dish Network?? Technically they still have bandwidth to add some more national channels, I know, but those two failed launches, especially the most recent, which was going up so that they would have more bandwidth for-gasp-national HD, really hurt them I'm sure. You'd think people could be a little more understanding.

Why does everyone here act like two failed sat launches in a year(I think) has no effect on Dish Network?? Technically they still have bandwidth to add some more national channels, I know, but those two failed launches, especially the most recent, which was going up so that they would have more bandwidth for-gasp-national HD, really hurt them I'm sure. You'd think people could be a little more understanding.

I think people would have more understanding but E* said that the satellite failure would not impact their short term plans and that new national HD would still be added. I think most peoples frustrations lie in the fact that they do have the bandwidth to add more HD but for whatever reason they are not adding it. They just keep saying soon.

D* had like 8 HD channels for two years, up until, what, 8 months ago? They hemorrhaged viewers during that time.

Actually they didn't. D* kept on growing as they always had. Especially since during that time HD wasn't all that big out in the general public. Now it is starting to be that "big thing" that everyone gets. But even then, I don't see E* losing all that many customers due to them being behind. At least short term. But if they don't do much over the next year then you may see some effect. DirecTV has seen a sizable uptick in new subs all due to HD so it could hurt Dish long term. However, they still have more then cable does. Again for now though.

Did anyone catch the STARZVOD channel up? Just saw it don't know how long it's been there. Noting on it though.

I had three movies on mine.... Maybe it is filled in with content if you have a broadband connection?

Surf's Up, Next, Perfect Strangers..... Not bad....

I forget the exact channel number, but I hit 5000 and it comes up... STVOD is the channel label..... followed by an HD channel called TEST, that has some travelogue shows on it....

I think people would have more understanding but E* said that the satellite failure would not impact their short term plans and that new national HD would still be added. I think most peoples frustrations lie in the fact that they do have the bandwidth to add more HD but for whatever reason they are not adding it. They just keep saying soon.

They just got back the SkyAngel bandwidth on 61.5... they could at least fill THAT up with something useful....

Actually they didn't. D* kept on growing as they always had. Especially since during that time HD wasn't all that big out in the general public. Now it is starting to be that "big thing" that everyone gets. But even then, I don't see E* losing all that many customers due to them being behind. At least short term. But if they don't do much over the next year then you may see some effect. DirecTV has seen a sizable uptick in new subs all due to HD so it could hurt Dish long term. However, they still have more then cable does. Again for now though.

Especially when some customers can not receive the DirecTV HD Signals.

And, likewise BravoHD? Esp with the Olympics just 4 months away...

NBCU will broadcast the Olympics on NBC, USA, MSNBC, and CNBC. Live HD Coverage will on USA-HD, Universal-HD, and the NBC-HD affiliates and Telemundo feeds. The feed be sent using Omneon technology. The games are recorded in HD about 3600 hours as of announced date. The games are at this time are not scheduled to be on Bravo or Oxygen.

Dish is only major provider not carrying USA-HD at this time. Yes, DirecTV is airing ads stating the obvious.

I feel that Dish has caught themselves into a quagmire.

They can not raise the price until Feb 09, if they add all the promised HD then the subs will start switching to HD only package for 29.99. I am sure that will lead to more financial trouble and contracting issues with the remaining providers. So they will delay HD rollout as much as possible may be till Sep or Oct and that's my prediction.

Last edited: