USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll is out

USC has a solid chance. Georgia not so solid, especially now that they are ranked numero uno. SEC teams will be playing their best against them and it will take a weird season like last year to get them in the big game (see LSU 2007).

I predict USC will beat tOSU during the regular season, then tOSU will win out causing a rematch between the two in the BCS MNC.

Last edited:
Wow Michigan in Top 25, the way many experts were talking during the off season, it sounded like they would not be in the top 50.

It is great to see the poll come out and fire up more excitment, for some reason I really think this is going to be a awsome college football season I guess maybe because there isnt that big of a leap from the top to the bottom.

Well, after examining the top 3 ranked teams, I've noticed something interesting...

#1 Georgia plays 5 teams ranked in the top 25. (@ #16 Arizona St, vs. #18 Tennessee, @ #6 LSU, vs. #5 Florida and @ #11 Auburn).

#2 USC plays only 2 teams ranked in the top 25. (vs. #3 Ohio St and vs. #16 Arizona St.).

#3 OSU plays 5 teams ranked in the top 25. (@ #2 USC, @ #12 Wisconsin, vs. #22 Penn St., @ #19 Illinois and vs. #24 Michigan).

Georgia plays 2 of their 5 top 25 games at home.
USC plays both of their top 25 games at home.
OSU plays 2 of their 5 top 25 games at home.

Needless to say, USC has the most favorable path to the NCG. This makes the 2nd week of the season all the more important for OSU. IMO, the winner will catipult to #1 and be the favorite to play for the NCG.

Last edited:
Well, after examining the top 3 ranked teams, I've noticed something interesting...

#1 Georgia plays 5 teams ranked in the top 25. (@ #16 Arizona St, vs. #18 Tennessee, @ #6 LSU, vs. #5 Florida and vs. #11 Auburn).

#2 USC plays only 2 teams ranked in the top 25. (vs. #3 Ohio St and vs. #16 Arizona St.).

#3 OSU plays 5 teams ranked in the top 25. (@ #2 USC, @ #12 Wisconsin, vs. #22 Penn St., @ #19 Illinois and vs. #24 Michigan).

Georgia plays 3 of their 5 top 25 games at home.
OSU plays only 2 of their 5 top 25 games at home.

Needless to say, USC has the most favorable path to the NCG. This makes the 2nd week of the season all the more important for OSU. IMO, the winner will catipult to #1 and be the favorite to play for the NCG.

Georgia plays Auburn in Auburn.:)

#1 Georgia plays 5 teams ranked in the top 25. (@ #16 Arizona St, vs. #18 Tennessee, @ #6 LSU, vs. #5 Florida and vs. #11 Auburn).

Georgia plays 3 of their 5 top 25 games at home.
OSU plays only 2 of their 5 top 25 games at home.

I agree. Winner of OSU-USC has the inside track early in the season.

So, are you suggesting Georgia plays 4 of their 5 top 25 games at home instead of just 3?
I think he means that you forgot to put the "@" in front of the Auburn game in your initial post, making it 2 out of 5 at home.

They'll also have to play @ South Carolina, who may be in the top 25 at gametime.

Last edited:
I think he means that you forgot to put the "@" in front of the Auburn game in your initial post, making it 2 out of 5 at home.

They'll also have to play @ South Carolina and @ Arizona St., both of whom may be in the top 25 at gametime.

Woops. Correction made.

And I counted Arizona St. They are ranked #16 currently.

They'll also have to play @ South Carolina and @ Arizona St., both of whom may be in the top 25 at gametime.
Actually isn't that 1 out of 5 at home since the Florida game is usually in a neutral location.

Actually isn't that 1 out of 5 at home since the Florida game is usually in a neutral location.

I'm going by the schedule. Technically the Bulldogs are considered the home team for that game.

Either way, I was trying to point out that the top SEC team (Georgia) and the top Big 10 team (OSU) have similar strength of schedules in that they both play 5 top 25 teams each. They also only play 2 of these games at home.

Actually Georgia, Under Mark Richt, is one of the best road teams in college football I wouldn't consider any opponent safe from GA this year no matter where they play

I'm going by the schedule. Technically the Bulldogs are considered the home team for that game.

Either way, I was trying to point out that the top SEC team (Georgia) and the top Big 10 team (OSU) have similar strength of schedules in that they both play 5 top 25 teams each. They also only play 2 of these games at home.

Preseason polls aside, I still say tOSU has only two games to worry about, USC and Michigan (which is at home this year). I think they can lose to USC and still make it to the MNC.

On the other side, Georgia will have a lot tougher row to hoe, and then have to win their conference championship to boot (which technically is a home game for them). I see Georgia doing what LSU did last year, losing two. That won't be enough this year to get them into the MNC looking at tOSU and USC's schedules.

Of course, Oklahoma can throw a huge wrench in the process by going undefeated. Should be another fun season. :)

Preseason polls aside, I still say tOSU has only two games to worry about, USC and Michigan (which is at home this year). I think they can lose to USC and still make it to the MNC.

On the other side, Georgia will have a lot tougher row to hoe, and then have to win their conference championship to boot (which technically is a home game for them). I see Georgia doing what LSU did last year, losing two. That won't be enough this year to get them into the MNC looking at tOSU and USC's schedules.

Of course, Oklahoma can throw a huge wrench in the process by going undefeated. Should be another fun season. :)
That's a good point. If you include the conference championship game (which neither USC or OSU have), Georgia will play 6 ranked opponents, with only one actually being in Sanford Stadium. I'm rethinking my pick of Georgia in the NC.

Wow Michigan in Top 25, the way many experts were talking during the off season, it sounded like they would not be in the top 50.
Wow! is right! The Wolverines aren't in my Top 50 with the huge list of unknowns they have going into this season. I sure hope Coach Rodriquez can pull of a few surprises, but until the team proves themselves on the grid iron they will continue to wear a Snake Plisseneque question mark on their chests.:confused:

Having said that, here is the only Top 10 standing that really matters...;)

1 Michigan 0.74475 869 286 36 1191
2 Notre Dame 0.73864 824 278 42 1144
3 Texas 0.71814 823 313 33 1169
4 Ohio State 0.71379 797 304 52 1153
5 Oklahoma 0.71295 777 297 53 1127
6 Alabama 0.70673 787 314 43 1144
7 Southern Cal 0.70297 754 303 54 1111
8 Nebraska 0.70286 815 333 40 1188
9 Tennessee 0.69500 778 326 55 1159
10 Penn State 0.68761 789 347 42 1178

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)