usb wifi adapter

skifreak76

Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Blackstone, MA
so with my 722k dieing today i called and ordered the 1 hopper 2 joey setup. the hopper and 1 joey will be connected to internet via cat5 cable. however i joey will not. my question is what it the best (and cheapest) wifi adapter that will work with the joey??

so with my 722k dieing today i called and ordered the 1 hopper 2 joey setup. the hopper and 1 joey will be connected to internet via cat5 cable. however i joey will not. my question is what it the best (and cheapest) wifi adapter that will work with the joey??

Only the Hopper will need to be connected. The Joeys can use the Hopper's connection. You just need to enable bridging on the Hopper

Found at https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1961

Re: 2 Hoppers and bridging question....

Postby WickedGirl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 pm
Found it!
Press Yellow Hot Key
Select Network
Select Broadband
Select MoCA from drop down
Press Blue Hot Key twice.
Select new icon on lower right screen "Bridging"
Make sure Bridge Mode is set to "On"
Wait while process takes effect
Select Save

Bridging needs to be enabled only when using two Hoppers. On all the 1 Hopper systems we've installed lately the Joey's get the internet without bridging.

Try using Pandora on those joeys without bridging. Without bridging enabled the full ip isn't passed to the joeys

I did not know that. Thank you. :)
Is it possible that they come enabled by default? If not, the above procedure should definitely be part of installer tech training.

No problem. All apps and features would work on the Joey without bridging except Facebook, Pandora, home media sharing. Those apps and feature require an ip address and bridging passes that IP to the Joey's.

After I turned Bridging on in our Hopper here this afternoon the Hopper showed as offline in DRA on the Droid and the PC. Turned Bridging off and the Hopper came back online. When it showed offline it would still play Live TV on the Droid but couldn't access the DVR and didn't display the correct locals in the guide.

I would recommend hitting the refresh button on the DVR page a few times or refreshing the browser all together to make sure that the site updated the receiver status. Enabling Bridging should have no affect with the Online status via dishonline.com or DRA app. After you enabled bridging I would check the Ethernet Top/Bottom or Wifi option in the BB menu and you should see 3 green OKS. If you do see 3 green oks then your receiver is connected and Dish Online is displaying incorrect info. Refreshing browser, clearing browser data, new browser should clear that up and display its correct online status. I'm sure that the bridging option had nothing to do with it showing offline and acting the way you saw it act. I have bridging enabled on my system and they work completely fine and I can see all my timers, recordings and live TV and play them all with no issues. A tell tale sign that the DRA app or Dish Online.com server isn't detecting a good Internet connection from your box is incorrect locals. When the IP is detected and it connects with your box, it pulls in your correct locals. When there is no BB connection detected or no BB connection at all, then you could see incorrect locals, two sets of locals ETC.

Last edited:
I would recommend hitting the refresh button on the DVR page a few times or refreshing the browser all together to make sure that the site updated the receiver status. Enabling Bridging should have no affect with the Online status via dishonline.com or DRA app. After you enabled bridging I would check the Ethernet Top/Bottom or Wifi option in the BB menu and you should see 3 green OKS. If you do see 3 green oks then your receiver is connected and Dish Online is displaying incorrect info. Refreshing browser, clearing browser data, new browser should clear that up and display its correct online status. I'm sure that the bridging option had nothing to do with it showing offline and acting the way you saw it act. I have bridging enabled on my system and they work completely fine and I can see all my timers, recordings and live TV and play them all with no issues.

I did all those things and fooled with it for a couple of hours this afternoon to be sure of the facts before posting here. I even tried it on Exede as well as the regular DSL connection. Enable Bridging and a few minutes later the little green button in the DRA receiver list goes out and the Hopper is not accessible except for Live TV. Disable Bridging and a few minutes later the green button lights up and it's accessible again. I don't know why but that's the way it works here.

And here's another one for ya... The Hopper streams Live TV to the Droid no problem but not to either of 2 PC's I've tried. It streams a couple of seconds to the PC's and then gives an error 44. Got a 722K in the same office on the same network that steams Live TV no problem to the Droid and the PC's. This has been going on for a while and I've tried re-booting everything numerous times. Tried it on the Exede network with the same result.

Don't you love mysteries?

How is the 722 connected to the Internet? Wifi as well? How low does your wifi signal fluctuate on the Hopper? You can see a signal bar and the signal will most likely be fluctuating at least a bit.

722K is on an ethernet wire, Hopper is WiFi. Hopper and router are in the same room, usually about 45-50 signal.

As usual Lucky86 was right and the Hopper came back on line a while after Bridging was enabled. I guess I wasn't waiting long enough. Sorry.