USC stripped of 2004 National Championship...

Auburn fan here. Could give a rats ass if they award that BCS championship. No Auburn fan that I know would or ever will claim it.

I know some schools that claim many championships would take it in a heart beat.:)
I seem to recall many a Auburn fan claiming to be national champs in 04, and would take this one with a sense of vindication if they could. (I am pretty sure the school even acknowledges an 04 title in the media guide)
I wouldnt really blame them either, they IMO, got hosed.

And their cheating is legendary. Bear was a master of that, and the reason my team left the SEC in disgust (though I wish that hadn't, but unfortunately Bobby Dodd had values).

He certainly took the letter of the law as far as it would go. Many rules were changed because of him.

msmith198025 said:
I seem to recall many a Auburn fan claiming to be national champs in 04, and would take this one with a sense of vindication if they could. (I am pretty sure the school even acknowledges an 04 title in the media guide)
I wouldnt really blame them either, they IMO, got hosed.

It mentions the '04 SEC and undefeated team but no mention of national champs and won't.
The only person I have heard trying to claim the title is Tubberville. Not Auburn.

Any team that would've played USC that year for the BCS title had no chance. USC, violations aside, had a team above and beyond the rest. It will be a vacated title, that's all. I can't think of anyone wanting it by default (well, yes I can but I won't be an ahole and say who).

Any team that would've played USC that year for the BCS title had no chance. USC, violations aside, had a team above and beyond the rest. It will be a vacated title, that's all. I can't think of anyone wanting it by default (well, yes I can but I won't be an ahole and say who).
Auburn was really good that year, and could have taken them. Unfortunately they started out the pre-season poll way down (another reason they should start polling mid-year), and didn't have a chance to work into the game.
Same could be said about Utah, but I don't think they could have beat USC.

And yet another good reason to have a 16 team playoff like every other football division in the NCAA.

Auburn was really good that year, and could have taken them. Unfortunately they started out the pre-season poll way down (another reason they should start polling mid-year), and didn't have a chance to work into the game.
Same could be said about Utah, but I don't think they could have beat USC.

And yet another good reason to have a 16 team playoff like every other football division in the NCAA.
Oklahoma was really good that year too. USC was better.

What I am getting tired of is that the schools get punished, the current kids get punished(usually a couple of years after the infractions) and the current coach(most of the time, the coach either halls ass to another job opportunity or fired) and NOTHING happens to the boosters or the coach during the time of the infractions. It's amazing also how we wanna hold these kids responsible, but what about the WELL educated boosters that are lawyers, businessmen and "pillars of the community" that are doing alot of the wrong. Look, kids will make mistakes, there isn't a single person in here that at the age 18, 19 and 20 have never made mistakes....but the older "examples" ...NOTHING! It is time the NCAA starts either fining these boosters or filing criminal charges.

How else can they "punish" ? Enforcing sanctions later on isn't fair to the current team, players, coaches, etc, but they don't have any other realistic options.

The NCAA fine a private individual ? Good luck with that.... Press criminal charges ? What law was broken ?

How else can they "punish" ? Enforcing sanctions later on isn't fair to the current team, players, coaches, etc, but they don't have any other realistic options.

The NCAA fine a private individual ? Good luck with that.... Press criminal charges ? What law was broken ?

Fraud would be my guess and quite possibly the only thing that could be the charge.

But, there were no laws broken, only rules set up by the NCAA that their members are supposed to adhere to....

very true...maybe laws should be made IF people really want college football to be completely clean because if people think there is no cheating going on in all schools, the people are more naive than I think.

I equate this to drugs coming into the US...if you really wanna stop it, you can...but you gotta want to.

I figured it would happen. Sucks for Oklahoma and Auburn though. That would have been a good close game rather than the blowout we got.

Hall said:
You want the US gov't (would have to be federal law) to enact laws related to college athletics ? You want the gov't involved AT ALL ?

What I am saying is that IF they really want this cleaned up...at some point the US government will have to be involved because neither the NCAA nor the universities can control the situation.

When Vanessa Williams was dethroned by the Miss America Pageant people back in 1984, they crowned the runner up, Suzette Charles.

I can see them relabeling the trophy for Michigan with an asterisk.

It's bad enough you know who the runner up in Miss America was, but to let everyone else know you know??!!! :D

Oklahoma was really good that year too. USC was better.
Not really, many made the case (myself included) that they had an easy schedule as the Big 12 was really light on defense, and the previous year LSU showed that an SEC defense had no trouble shutting down Oklahoma's offense.

Not really, many made the case (myself included) that they had an easy schedule as the Big 12 was really light on defense, and the previous year LSU showed that an SEC defense had no trouble shutting down Oklahoma's offense.

Uh huh, with home field advantage LSU hung on to win. OU was driving. The difference in the end was a pick-6 by LSU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)