Use a Directv dish/lnb to get Voom

mikenewy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
New Sub to Voom, love the HDTV content, was wondering if I can hook my second Voom IRD (receiver) to the D*TV dish and lnb, or do I need to buy something from Sears or somewhere else? Thanks in advance for all the info on your site, its been extremely usefull for a newbie.

Mikenewy.

Welcome aboard!
VOOM will provide and install everything. You don't need to buy anything on your own. And yes, they might be able to reuse your existing dish if you want them to, though this will not save you any money.

I have the existing voom dish and lnb, but want to know if the directv lnb will work if pointed at the voom satellite. I want to test signal strength from this disp position to see if I can pick up a stronger signal without messing with the original voom installed dish.

Thanks,
Mikenewy

Yes it will work if pointed at VoOM! The bigger the dish the better the signal!

I've been using my original D* 18" dish since day one with Voom, and it works just fine. In fact I get slightly higher signal quality readings with the D* dish.

Ive heard that one of the triple lnbs D* uses is the same one voom uses. IF you use the D* trple lnb dish the other 2 lnbs will just be blind once its pointed in the voom direction. In fact ive heard the voom lnb was labeled as directv in the beginning.

Two of the Phase III dish LNB are regular DBS (the two outside LNB 101/119) the Phase III dish defaults to the 101 LNB for pointing (the 101 LNB is on the far right, from behind dish)

PSB said:
Two of the Phase III dish LNB are regular DBS (the two outside LNB 101/119) the Phase III dish defaults to the 101 LNB for pointing (the 101 LNB is on the far right, from behind dish)
Can you elaborate on that for the more simple minded users like myself. lol. I think your trying to tell us which LNB is for voom and which one controls pointing.

The two outside LNB are standard dbs LNB, the middle LNB is a special (c) LNB, in theary both out side LNB could be used for VoOM, but the Phase III dish internal switch defaults to the 101 LNB only for pointing the dish at DirecTVs main slot (101), so what I am saying is if you hooked it up to a VoOM receiver the far right (from behind) is the LNB you will be using, the others will be doing nothing, and as such the dish will not be pointing directly at the VoOM slot (61.5) as the 101 lnb signal is bounced off the side of the Phase III dish and into the 101 LNB. Also if you set the correct skew on the Phase III dish for the VoOM satellite it will collect more signal!

How to find exact direction and skew for DirecTV Phase IIIs?

PSB, can you explain a little more how we would find the exact direction we would point our Phase IIIs (since you mention in your post it won't actually be toward the the 61.5 sat) and how to find the new skew adjustment? So we really only need to keep the 101/119 LNB on the right (as seen from behind the dish, you mentioned) in the bracket to make it work with Voom?

Did it -- CM GainMaster working with Voom

Nevermind, PSB, figured it out. Just placed the Voom LNB in the center Sat. C spot of my 36" X 24" GainMaster dish and pointed it at the 61.5 Voom sat. with the proper elevation and skew I got from one of the calculators your web site links to so thanks for that. Getting constant signal strength of 98.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts