Use of Terminators/Multiswitch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevindef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2004
I was wondering if the unused input and output ports of a Multiswitch should be terminated with those 75 ohm screw on terminators. I am not using the OTA input and 3 of the 8 output ports are not being used. It is a Terk 5 X 8. It doesn't seem to be working with my Phase III dish. I connected the 4 wires coming from the dish into 4 of the inputs and left the OTA open. I then connected my 5 receiver wires to 5 of the outputs leaving 3 unused. I did terminate the OTA port and the 3 remaining outputs. I noticed I was NOT receiving all the channels. I checked signal strenght and saw that I was getting a signal on Sat A only. I took off the terminator on the OTA input and left the 3 terminators on the 3 unused outputs. Still same problem. I then took off the Multiswitch and hooked everything back up to the way it was before. Everything is OK. I get all the channels again. I thought this Terk Multiswitch was supposed to work perfectly fine with a Phase III dish??? Or is the problem with the terminators??? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Do not use terminators in the presence of voltage. The terminator will act as a short circuit and possibly burn up the power supply in the satellite receiver.

Wholeheartedly agree with bnaivar.

If your installation is outside, a needle nose pliers can yank those stingers out leaving a cap to seal the unused ports.

As for your installation problem, just want to make sure that you have a PhaseIII dish and not a DirecTV Plus/Para Todos or GainMaster dish. If so, then I'd look at replacing that switch.

Terminators and Dish

I will definitely get rid of the terminators. I did think of removing the inner wire just so I could cap off the unused ports.

The dish I have is a 3 LNB Winegard. I am assuming it is a Phase III. It has the 3 lnb's attached to the end of the arm and I am guessing they are inserted into a 5 X 4 multiswitch. Each LNB can individually be removed. It isn't all 1 piece. I added the Sat C middle LNB myself. It was just a 2 LNB dish originally. The dish has 4 cables coming out of the back of the arm and each has a label "To Receiver". The Terk BMS 58 has 5 inputs. 2 labeled Sat A, 2 labeled Sat B and 1 OTA or Cable. I have read that all I need to do is connect the 4 cables from the dish to those ports labeled Sat A and Sat B. Even though I have a Sat C LNB there, it is my understanding that the Multiswitch takes care of everything. Is this correct??? I have not tried the set up yet with ALL terminators removed. I will try to do it tomorrow if it isn't raining. Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

Kevin

If you have three separate LNBs it is not a Phase3, seeing you have separate LNBs you can remove the 4 X 4 switch and connect directly to the 5 X 8.

To elaborate on boba's very correct observation, you do need to make sure that you carefully connect the correct LNBs to the correct ports on the switch. The Sat A (101) ports are interchangeable, but make very sure that the +18V side of the Sat B (which has the Sat C insertion) LNB connects to the +18/22KHz tone/Sat B side of the multiswitch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)