Uses for analog receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
I looked at lyngsat and had no idea how few analog(clear or encrypted) there were left. :( What uses are there for these receivers other than the few analog channels available? Wild feeds maybe? When I was given this Toshiba TRX 2220, as part of the deal to remove a Birdview, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Now I'm more like the kid who got clothes instead of that shiney new toy.:rolleyes: And how can it be tied in with my DVB receiver to work together?

harshness
either your post was suppose to be a joke or you obviosuly have no clue.

I looked at lyngsat and had no idea how few analog(clear or encrypted) there were left. :( What uses are there for these receivers other than the few analog channels available? Wild feeds maybe?

lots of wild feeds. There isnt much 24/7 KU analog but on weekends (especially during fall & winter) there are tons of analog feeds :)
and sometimes there are news feeds that are still analog

When I was given this Toshiba TRX 2220, as part of the deal to remove a Birdview, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Now I'm more like the kid who got clothes instead of that shiney new toy.:rolleyes: And how can it be tied in with my DVB receiver to work together?
use the loop out on the DVB reciever. Hook that to the input on the analog box. Whatever polarity the DVB box is on the analog will be too.

I have a Toshiba TRX1420 hooked up to my Coolsat and sure there isn't alot of analog feeds right now on KU but come late summer early fall that receiver will get a workout (if you are a sports fan) :)

use the loop out on the DVB reciever. Hook that to the input on the analog box. Whatever polarity the DVB box is on the analog will be too.

Cool. Sounds simple.

I have a Toshiba TRX1420 hooked up to my Coolsat and sure there isn't alot of analog feeds right now on KU but come late summer early fall that receiver will get a workout (if you are a sports fan) :)

Great to hear! I am a sports fan :) Knew these great old receivers couldn't be dead yet. ;) Thanks Ice!

analog is really good for the oddball sports team. The DIII football team or the TV station that only shows a couple games a year. BUt a fair amunt of teams use KU still

One of the big ones that uses KU analog is (I forget the new name) but it use to be Jefferson Pilot sports. On some weekends to see 2 feeds of the same game...just different announcers (or in some cases the same announcers just the graphic in the corner is different)

I also have the TRX-2220 and have watched many College Basketball games on Analog Ku with my 90cm dish and Looped out from my Coolsat 5000.

Have watched News feeds also and an odd show here and there , Active especially on weekends , try SBS 6 @ 74.0.

With an S-Band LNB, use the thing to snoop on 2.4Ghz baby and security monitor cameras.:D
By the way do you have 2.4Ghz short range (low power) Tx gear in the U.S.?

OK so to be clear on exactly what to do, Iceberg is this what you mean by loop out as shown in voomvoom's post? Or is there another way to tie in a C/KU into my Coolsat and Toshiba? Thanks.

Hey Swampman,

If you are using a Co-Rotor II, you will need a Pansat 3500 or Pansat 2700 to control it if you are making the DVB receiver the master. Then all polarity and skew will be controlled by the DVB receiver.

That is the way I had mine for a while before the 4DTV. Now I have separate dishes.

Fred

Hey Swampman,

If you are using a Co-Rotor II, you will need a Pansat 3500 or Pansat 2700 to control it if you are making the DVB receiver the master. Then all polarity and skew will be controlled by the DVB receiver. Fred

OK well now I'm really confused. :D I thought I could use the toshiba to move the dish, while having the coolsat AND toshiba receive signals. Fred if you remember, I currently have a C-band lnb on this Birdview, but am planning on getting a corotor II. So what are my options to make the equipment I have now work?

now I'm confused

What exactly do you have for equipment? What I posted was on the assumption you were KU only. On the back of the Coolsat there is a "loop out" (its right below the input for the satellite cable)and you hook that to the in on the analog. The Coolsat would control polarity & motor and the analog follows along

Now if you have C-band then voomvoom's link works the best. But I'm confused as to what equipment we are working with :)

Hey Swampman.

The Co-Rotor II requires a receiver that can control the polarotor/servo motor which changes polarity and skew.

The Toshiba will move the dish and control the polarotor. The Coolsat by itself will not.

That would mean that you will have to use the Toshiba as the master unless you buy a VBox II and one of the other receivers I mentioned earlier.

I think you will find as I quickly did that it is a pain in the butt to do it that way. But that all depends on budget, and other priorities. :D

Otherwise you have the option of a voltage controlled LNBF from SatelliteAV or the BSC621. The Coolsat would control that configuration, and just use the Toshiba for dish movement.

From all I have read, that is not the best option as far as signal is concerned.

Fred

now I'm confused

What exactly do you have for equipment? What I posted was on the assumption you were KU only. On the back of the Coolsat there is a "loop out" (its right below the input for the satellite cable)and you hook that to the in on the analog. The Coolsat would control polarity & motor and the analog follows along

Now if you have C-band then voomvoom's link works the best. But I'm confused as to what equipment we are working with :)

Sorry Ice I should have explained it better. Hopefully very soon I have a Birdview that I will setup. It has a c-band lnb. But I want to replace it with a corotor II to get c-band and KU signal. I currently have a coolsat 5000 hooked up to my Primestar dish which I will remove once setup with the BUD and corotor. I also have a Toshiba 2220 analog receiver. I was curious as to how to tie both these receivers together.

Hey Swampman.

The Co-Rotor II requires a receiver that can control the polarotor/servo motor which changes polarity and skew.
OK now I'm beginning to understand how it works. :) So what is it the Pansat has that the Coolsat doesnt in it's ability to control the polarotor?

"
That would mean that you will have to use the Toshiba as the master unless you buy a VBox II and one of the other receivers I mentioned earlier

So I would have to buy a Pansat and a v-box :( That may be the best way to go, just not an option right now. I really would like to make use of this old analog receiver. I just had a misconception of how things worked. :rolleyes: Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate the help. :)

well there are other options
you could use the bsc621 instead of the corotor the coolsat can control the switching of that but might need another switching method.I don't think the toshiba can control the switching but i don't know for sure. The Pansat has a built in polorotor control which the coolsat doesn't

well there are other options
you could use the bsc621 instead of the corotor the coolsat can control the switching of that but might need another switching method.I don't think the toshiba can control the switching but i don't know for sure. The Pansat has a built in polorotor control which the coolsat doesn't
OK George thanks for the info. Thats what I was curious about. :)

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I see that George and Iceberg have answered pretty well.

Doing the dish moving and polarotor control with the analog will work fine, just a little cumbersome. You'll understand what I mean after you get it all hooked up.

The diagram that Al pointed to is the way I started out. Make sure the Hi-Freq switches you get for that setup have one side as DC blocking. I burnt up a couple of diseqc switches because of that.

Start saving now for the Pansat and VBox II. Maybe for Father's day, or birthday, or next Christmas.

Fred

I currently have a coolsat 5000 hooked up to my Primestar dish which I will remove once setup with the BUD and corotor.
Hey swampman, the diagram shows a 2x1 diseqc switch. I use a 4x1 diseqc switch so I can still use my ku (only) dish with it's motor. You could do that and keep the P* in the mix!

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)