Using BUD with the StarChoice DSR505

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I would like to use my BUD which is a 10` Winegard equipped with Norsat 8115 &4106A to view either the HD or SD locals on StarChoice (DSR505). In posting a question about how to do this on the Canadian Satellite Services Forum, a forum member referred me to this forum for instructions on how to block the polarotor from my DSR922 which I will use to position my dish.
"The 920/922 will control polarity on your Norsat. The Shaw Direct receiver must be electrically blocked from the polarotor. I forget the wiring diagram - but I'm sure some in the 4DTV forum here will know."
I want to resolve this issue before initiating my subscription with Shaw Direct.

So if I am understanding this correctly you would like to get Shaw Direct and 4DTV all with one 10' BUD.
You could simply run one cable from your 4106 (the Ku LNB) straight to the Shaw Direct receiver and run another separate cable from the 8115 (the C-Band LNB) to the DSR922. The 922 will still control polarity.
You really do not need Ku going to the DSR922 because there is no 4DTV on Ku and you do not need C-Band going to the DSR505 because there is no Shaw Direct programming on C-Band.

Maybe there is something I am missing here but it seems pretty straight forward. If I'm missing something or you are hooking it up differently let me know. I am not sure what you mean by blocking the polarotor from your DSR922............the DSR505 can not control your polarotor so the 922 would have to do it..........

Probably the simplest way would be to set up a separate Ku only dish for the Shaw Direct, something as small as a 30" offset would work just great!

Oh, one more thing, I understand there are issues when certain 4DTV receivers are getting signals from a Shaw Direct satellite...........I think it's because they download the Shaw Direct channel maps and do not work with 4DTV anymore.

Inno- Thanks for the reply. I plan to run the Ku 4106 from my BUD to the DSR505 and leave the 8115 C band connected to my DSR922. My concern is I have been told that the DSR505 receiver must be electrically blocked from the polarotor. I`m looking information on how to do this. I`m guessing that the DSR505 outputs some voltages probably for switching lnbs and that is what has to be blocked from the polarotor.

there is no way to connect a dsr505 to a polorator so there is no need to block voltage. the 4d unit will have to control lnb polarity is all.

crackt out,.

Inno- Thanks for the reply. I plan to run the Ku 4106 from my BUD to the DSR505 and leave the 8115 C band connected to my DSR922. My concern is I have been told that the DSR505 receiver must be electrically blocked from the polarotor. I`m looking information on how to do this. I`m guessing that the DSR505 outputs some voltages probably for switching lnbs and that is what has to be blocked from the polarotor.

I am not sure how the 505 handles polarity switching but if it is like any other receiver designed for use with a LNBF it is 13V or 18V depending on which polarity is needed. This may be what needs to be "blocked" as your LNBs on your BUD require a fixed 18V (as far as I know). So really you don't need to block it you need to make sure your Ku LNB always gets 18V. Sounds like you need a power inserter on that line to the Ku LNB to hold it at 18V. There is some discussion of that type of setup here Dual C-band Feedhorns... [Archive] - SatelliteGuys.US

The biggest pain you are going to have with this type of setup is that in changing channels on the Shaw Direct receiver you will also have to switch polarity on the 922 to bring in certain channels. I am guessing this may also cause problems with your guide. The only way around it would be to use a LNBF which I would not recommend as you have some very decent LNBs there to use or go with a dedicated Ku dish.

Just a side note, your Ku LNB may actually operate at 13V but you will likely cause damage and have sub-par performance in doing that so the power inserter is a necessity if you want to do it that way.

it would be easier to keep the two separate. The Shaw receiver can do some odd things when it cant get a signal all the time from the Shaw satellites

I agree with the Ice man, have a dish for Shaw and use the bud for c/ku dvb or whatever you are using it for.

Oh ya and never program a ku-band tile on a DSR 920 or 922 while on a Shaw sat, you will have to to a master reset, 905 is safe.

Ice- I assume by keeping the two separate you mean a separate dish for the StarChoice receiver. I have a tile roof and adding a dish is a difficult job which I`m trying to avoid. Mounting the dish elsewhere is not practical.
I guess the issue is how do I block the control voltages from the 505 and let the 922 provide the 18VDC to power my lnbs. Most of the channels I will be watching on the 505 are Vertical polarization so the 13VDC could damage my 4116.

use a one port power pass splitter to slave the 505 off the 922. power pass side to 922. dc block side to 505. 922 powers lnb and selects polarity. but like mentioned above i wouldnt map any channels on the 922 over shaw sats.

crackt out,.

Ice- I assume by keeping the two separate you mean a separate dish for the StarChoice receiver. I have a tile roof and adding a dish is a difficult job which I`m trying to avoid. Mounting the dish elsewhere is not practical.
I guess the issue is how do I block the control voltages from the 505 and let the 922 provide the 18VDC to power my lnbs. Most of the channels I will be watching on the 505 are Vertical polarization so the 13VDC could damage my 4116.

yeah I meant a separate dish :)

With a LNB (not a LNBF where the 505 can switch polarity) it would be a lot of work to make sure you change to the right polarity for each channel ;)

crackt- Thanks for the reply. I Googled powered pass splitters and came up with a couple. I don`t know what specs are important. Is there a manufacturer and model which you would recommend? I`m thinking that the Leviton 40867-DSS would probably work but if there is a better one then I`ll use it.
THANKS for you help on this.

sadoun sells em. get a high frequency 2 port with dc block on one port. i think they cost 3 bucks. that would probly get the job done.

crackt out,.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I was able to get everything working thanks to help from ICEBERG.
Ice- I don`t know how many times you bailed me out in my learning about
4DTV, FTA and now StarChoice. I appreciate all your informative posts
and all the PM handholding to get me thru problems from my inexperience.

UPDATE: I was able to get everything working thanks to help from ICEBERG.
Ice- I don`t know how many times you bailed me out in my learning about
4DTV, FTA and now StarChoice. I appreciate all your informative posts
and all the PM handholding to get me thru problems from my inexperience.

so the splitters workt ?

crackt out,.

The splitters worked . My next issue was that the 922 was "talking to" my 505. Whenever I would move the dish the 505 would change channels. Ice helped me in changing remote codes to prevent the crosstalk. After that it was easy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)