Using direct slimline with orby?

Discussion in 'Orby TV - Support Forum' started by Robert Dickens, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Robert Dickens

Robert Dickens Topic Starter Member

What would be needed to use my directv slimline with orby I would find it hard to believe it would not be possible because orbys dish looks almost identical

2. Titanium

Titanium AI6US Lifetime Supporter

Yes, any dish could be repurposed with gains and losses in performance. The DirecTV multi-satellite dish performance is going to be slightly lower as the reflector is designed for receiving multiple satellite positions. The Orby dish is designed to be focused on only one satellite and illuminating one LNBF.

DIY conversion of the DTV dish:
    1. Make a template of the exact height, distance and angle of the existing centered LNB feedhorn.
    2. Remove the existing feedhorns and LNBF mounting plastics.
    3. Fabricate a LNBF clamp to position the new linear LO 10750 LNBF in the exact location (height, distance, angle) as the original feedhorn. Might need to extend the feedhorn support arm and use a clamp and LNBF like this package:
    www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-SL1PLL-Standard-Phase-Lock-Loop-Linear-Ku-LNB-10750-Universal-Bracket/361932198395
    4. Install the Standard Linear LNBF in the Clamp and be sure that the center of the cap sits at the exact height, distance and angle to the reflector as the original centered feedhorn.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 SatelliteGuys Pro

Actually what looks to be almost identical to the Orby dish, even right down to the 11.7-12.2 GHz linear LNBF.

Is DIRECTV's (now "former" as they're ceasing production of it) 95w international dish for their "World Direct" service.

So may want to save yourself some headaches trying to convert a Slimline, which is not designed for a linear LNBF, and just get a WD dish.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Robert Dickens and Titanium like this.
  4. catamount

catamount SatelliteGuys Pro

Well, those 117 transponders must be really strong. According to what I have read the slimline and world direct dish are both bigger than the Orby dish. The 24 inch shaw dish is also larger. I thought the 107/111 ku birds were the strongest.

Catamount

5. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

More than the dish- LNBs are not interchangeable. Some would work, some won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

6. Robert Dickens

Yes from what I read I figured I would have to replace lnb any good suggestions on lnb and signal meter to know if I have any signal I have already set the dish to the 230 azimuth and 39 elevation that's suppose to be right for my area

7. Titanium

Look up the bottom of the arm from behind the dish. Any trees, branches or other obstacles in the line of sight with the arm or above? If not, the sky is clear and there isn't any need to test with a meter if signal is present.

This is what you would need for retrofitting a Slimline: www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-SL1PLL-Standard-Phase-Lock-Loop-Linear-Ku-LNB-10750-Universal-Bracket/361932198395

You can use the signal meter built into the Orby receiver to Aim and optimize the dish aiming, LNBF placement and Skew optimization.

Satellite Data
    Name: 117W EUTELSAT 117 WEST B
    Distance: 37865km
    Dish Setup Data
    Elevation: 38.9°
    Azimuth (true): 231.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): 236.0°
    LNB Skew [?]: 41.4°
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't expect any technical support from Orby TV on a self install. Check back with us if you need more information.

8. Robert Dickens

yes that was one thing I was curious about is if it would have a signal meter built in

9. Robert Dickens

Wouldn't have figured the receiver would have a signal meter since its meant to be installed by professional

10. cannonz

cannonz SatelliteGuys Family

If someone called for support no signal or the like they would want to be able to ask customer what is signal strength.

11. Titanium

20190328_134340[1].jpg

Tuner 1 is for satellite and is active during the initial set-up before activation.

Tuner 2 is the OTA (Over The Air) ATSC and the meter is only displayed after a channel scan. Unfortunately, this meter is not available during initial OTA signal finding. The STB engineers should at least activate a signal strength meter for initial over the air antenna aiming then use the Signal Quality meter reading to optimize once channels have been scanned.

12. styxfix

styxfix Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

Did you get this to work? I am considering doing the same thing

truckracer likes this.
  13. Incaico61

Incaico61 New Member

Sometimes signal meters are used by CSR's to troubleshoot issues at end users homes.

14. Z_finigan

Z_finigan Active SatelliteGuys Member

I can tell you. Because I have hooked mine up a few ways.

I now have my Orby hooked to my 2nd 10 foot c band satellite. Working fine. I still have trees in my way.. I have it on a powered switch. 4x8. C band on 13/18
    Orby on 22k 13/18. Orby default 22k

When I first got Orby. I had a Universal lnb. And I taped it to an old rca satellite. I think an 18 inch. And picked up Orby transponders. With my fta box.

I did not have any information on the type lnb Orby used. My fta receiver was how I found out.
    10750 is the lnb and buy a holder for it. Close to 20 dollars. Mine is a dual output. I like the lnb I got. To skew I only have to turn it. Not the dish.

Because of my yard. My Orby satellite had the same signal as my big satellite. Both had trees in the way

My fta box reads
    66% signal
    31 quality.

Orby reads
    89 singal
    99 quality.

Now on ses3 I get 50%
    No trees.

Separate names with a comma.

More...