Using direct slimline with orby?

Robert Dickens

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
albany ga
What would be needed to use my directv slimline with orby I would find it hard to believe it would not be possible because orbys dish looks almost identical

Yes, any dish could be repurposed with gains and losses in performance. The DirecTV multi-satellite dish performance is going to be slightly lower as the reflector is designed for receiving multiple satellite positions. The Orby dish is designed to be focused on only one satellite and illuminating one LNBF.

DIY conversion of the DTV dish:
1. Make a template of the exact height, distance and angle of the existing centered LNB feedhorn.
2. Remove the existing feedhorns and LNBF mounting plastics.
3. Fabricate a LNBF clamp to position the new linear LO 10750 LNBF in the exact location (height, distance, angle) as the original feedhorn. Might need to extend the feedhorn support arm and use a clamp and LNBF like this package:
www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-SL1PLL-Standard-Phase-Lock-Loop-Linear-Ku-LNB-10750-Universal-Bracket/361932198395
4. Install the Standard Linear LNBF in the Clamp and be sure that the center of the cap sits at the exact height, distance and angle to the reflector as the original centered feedhorn.

What would be needed to use my directv slimline with orby I would find it hard to believe it would not be possible because orbys dish looks almost identical
Actually what looks to be almost identical to the Orby dish, even right down to the 11.7-12.2 GHz linear LNBF.

Is DIRECTV's (now "former" as they're ceasing production of it) 95w international dish for their "World Direct" service.

So may want to save yourself some headaches trying to convert a Slimline, which is not designed for a linear LNBF, and just get a WD dish.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Well, those 117 transponders must be really strong. According to what I have read the slimline and world direct dish are both bigger than the Orby dish. The 24 inch shaw dish is also larger. I thought the 107/111 ku birds were the strongest.

Catamount

More than the dish- LNBs are not interchangeable. Some would work, some won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

More than the dish- LNBs are not interchangeable. Some would work, some won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Yes from what I read I figured I would have to replace lnb any good suggestions on lnb and signal meter to know if I have any signal I have already set the dish to the 230 azimuth and 39 elevation that's suppose to be right for my area

Look up the bottom of the arm from behind the dish. Any trees, branches or other obstacles in the line of sight with the arm or above? If not, the sky is clear and there isn't any need to test with a meter if signal is present.

This is what you would need for retrofitting a Slimline: www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-SL1PLL-Standard-Phase-Lock-Loop-Linear-Ku-LNB-10750-Universal-Bracket/361932198395

You can use the signal meter built into the Orby receiver to Aim and optimize the dish aiming, LNBF placement and Skew optimization.

Satellite Data
Name: 117W EUTELSAT 117 WEST B
Distance: 37865km
Dish Setup Data
Elevation: 38.9°
Azimuth (true): 231.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 236.0°
LNB Skew [?]: 41.4°
arrow-r.png

Wouldn't expect any technical support from Orby TV on a self install. Check back with us if you need more information.

Wouldn't have figured the receiver would have a signal meter since its meant to be installed by professional
20190328_134340[1].jpg

Tuner 1 is for satellite and is active during the initial set-up before activation.

Tuner 2 is the OTA (Over The Air) ATSC and the meter is only displayed after a channel scan. Unfortunately, this meter is not available during initial OTA signal finding. The STB engineers should at least activate a signal strength meter for initial over the air antenna aiming then use the Signal Quality meter reading to optimize once channels have been scanned.

I can tell you. Because I have hooked mine up a few ways.

I now have my Orby hooked to my 2nd 10 foot c band satellite. Working fine. I still have trees in my way.. I have it on a powered switch. 4x8. C band on 13/18
Orby on 22k 13/18. Orby default 22k

When I first got Orby. I had a Universal lnb. And I taped it to an old rca satellite. I think an 18 inch. And picked up Orby transponders. With my fta box.

I did not have any information on the type lnb Orby used. My fta receiver was how I found out.
10750 is the lnb and buy a holder for it. Close to 20 dollars. Mine is a dual output. I like the lnb I got. To skew I only have to turn it. Not the dish.

Because of my yard. My Orby satellite had the same signal as my big satellite. Both had trees in the way

My fta box reads
66% signal
31 quality.

Orby reads
89 singal
99 quality.

Now on ses3 I get 50%
No trees.

Ok so I was sucessful in finding signal with the slimline dish and linear lnb made to fit the old 18 inch round directv dish which slipped right in had signal within 5 minutes so yes it can be done takes a little math to get skew right since its setup different from orby dish but yeah it can be done.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Ok so I was sucessful in finding signal with the slimline dish and linear lnb made to fit the old 18 inch round directv dish which slipped right in had signal within 5 minutes so yes it can be done takes a little math to get skew right since its setup different from orby dish but yeah it can be done.
Congrats! I modded an old slimline for Orby as well a few months back. I had signal within 10 minutes of mounting. Glad I kept the dish around after canceling DirecTV years ago! :D

Just wondering how you went about it i used a linear lnb that looked identical to the original directv lnbs and skewed the dish itself did you skew the dish or zero the dish and skew the lnb.

Just wondering how you went about it i used a linear lnb that looked identical to the original directv lnbs and skewed the dish itself did you skew the dish or zero the dish and skew the lnb.
I measured where the original lnbf was and used a standard FTA lnbf with a universal mount. Dish is at zero skew, lnbf is skewed. It is mounted on top of the pole for my motorized ku dish. I rushed putting this up during really cold weather, :snow which bothers my hands horribly, so it likely can be dialed in a little better but so far it has worked great. :D

Images below are thumbnailed - click for larger view.

IMG_6285S.JPG IMG_6288S.JPG

Reactions: krynn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)