Using Dish 625 as standalone DVR

dishnooberguy

Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
California
I'm trying to get an old model 625 receiver to work as a standalone DVR (replace my aging vcr with DTV TV input).Is there any way to configure the 625 to stop complaining about "Attention: Acquiring Satellite signal" and function as just a dvr to record OTA DTA signal?There are a couple of old recordings on the drive that play fine through the rca video outs, and DTV signal passes through fine on the coax connectors, but I can't figure out how to:1. Wire it in. Are the coax connectors (TV in and out) only passthrough, or can the unit record off that path?2. What configuration settings are required to get the unit to stop looking for a sat signal?Thanks.

dishnooberguy said:
I'm trying to get an old model 625 receiver to work as a standalone DVR (replace my aging vcr with DTV TV input).Is there any way to configure the 625 to stop complaining about "Attention: Acquiring Satellite signal" and function as just a dvr to record OTA DTA signal?There are a couple of old recordings on the drive that play fine through the rca video outs, and DTV signal passes through fine on the coax connectors, but I can't figure out how to:1. Wire it in. Are the coax connectors (TV in and out) only passthrough, or can the unit record off that path?2. What configuration settings are required to get the unit to stop looking for a sat signal?Thanks.

I could be wrong but generally a dish receiver has to be activated to function that includes the dvr.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

No, the coax connector are only passthrough when the receiver is off. When it's on, then you should be able to tune it in using an NTSC TV tuner, e.g. to view those old recordings. There was never an ATSC tuner on that model so that is out of the question whether or not it's activated.

The DVR part works when the receiver is on - there are a few old recordings still on it that play out to the TV AV inputs through the RCA outputs on the receiver when I push the DVR button on the dish remote.

The DTV black box tuner output is hooked to the Dish 625 coax input, and the Dish 625 coax output is hooked to TV coax input.OTA TV signal displays on TV CH3 when I push the TV/video button on Dish remote with receiver on, but nothing else will display like the dish menu, DVR menu, etc.

So it does look like the coax inputs are passthrough only - I can't play the DVR recordings already on there through the coax connection to the TV - only the RCA outputs.

Is there any configuration where the Dish receiver will take that coax input from the DTV tuner, record it, and play it back (through the rca outputs I guess?)

Last edited:
Sorry for my apparently incomplete answer. There is neither an NTSC nor an ATSC tuner in a Dish 625 receiver. The only inputs it has capable of recording anything are the satellite inputs.

Sorry for my apparently incomplete answer. There is neither an NTSC nor an ATSC tuner in a Dish 625 receiver. The only inputs it has capable of recording anything are the satellite inputs.

Thanks. I think that answers my questions.

Guess I'm off to find a non-subscription, standalone DVR like a Toshiba, Magnavox, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)