Using (EA) DPH LNB with VIP222K

Hayfield

Original poster
May 6, 2021
Wisconsin
I purchased a Eastern Arc DPH LNB to replace the DPP Plus LNB. Before I install the new LNB I need some technical guidance on what I need extra or what I can eliminate or shouldn't do. Presently I have two dishes EA and WA wired into a DPP44 switch using satellites 61.5, 72, 110, and 119 going into a VIP222K utilizing the two receivers from the DPP44 outputs. I'm willing to disconnect the WA LNB and stay with the EA LNB, but I want to use the new DPH LNB. Please help. I also considered purchasing a WA DPH LNB to use with the EA setup. Hope I explained my situation OK.

I believe you can use a DPH LNB for your 222K. Note that the old EA dish was a 1000.4, and the DPH LNB for EA was designed for a 1000.2. I would not try pointing the DPH LNB for WA on the EA instead.
going into a VIP222K utilizing the two receivers from the DPP44 outputs
What two receivers? The two tuners? A DPH LNB and also the DPP LNB and also the DPP44 can feed two tuners with one coax. You need a separator to do that, though.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe you can use a DPH LNB for your 222K. Note that the old EA dish was a 1000.4, and the DPH LNB for EA was designed for a 1000.2. I would not try pointing the DPH LNB for WA on the EA instead.

What two receivers? The two tuners? A DPH LNB and also the DPP LNB and also the DPP44 can feed two tuners with one coax. You need a separator to do that, though.
I'll just add that the 1000.4 dish can accept either 1000.4 or 1000.2 LNB's (except for the Slimline LNB's) with a simple adapter mod.

Reactions: TheKrell

Sorry, meant two tuners. So, the DPH LNB port 1 can go to the DPP44 Sat input and use the two outputs on DPP44 go to the two tuners on the VIP222K? What about the separator?? Eventually want to keep the 4 satellites active using DPH LNB's on WA and EA dishes.

Sorry, meant two tuners. So, the DPH LNB port 1 can go to the DPP44 Sat input and use the two outputs on DPP44 go to the two tuners on the VIP222K? What about the separator??
Forget the DPP44 and go direct from one output of the DPH LNB to the separator and then via pigtails to the two 222 tuners. Your 222 should have come with a separator and pigtails. All my VIP receivers did.
Eventually want to keep the 4 satellites active using DPH LNB's on WA and EA dishes.
Frankly, I recommend leaving your setup as it is. I see no reason for a DPH LNB other than the H3, Wally, or Duo, none of which use a separator because they have only 1 coax input for all of the tuners (16 in the case of the H3). There is also the issue of feeding the DPP44 from a DPH LNB. Does that even work?

I purchased a Eastern Arc DPH LNB to replace the DPP Plus LNB. Before I install the new LNB I need some technical guidance on what I need extra or what I can eliminate or shouldn't do. Presently I have two dishes EA and WA wired into a DPP44 switch using satellites 61.5, 72, 110, and 119 going into a VIP222K utilizing the two receivers from the DPP44 outputs. I'm willing to disconnect the WA LNB and stay with the EA LNB, but I want to use the new DPH LNB. Please help. I also considered purchasing a WA DPH LNB to use with the EA setup. Hope I explained my situation OK.
DPH is specifically for Hoppers.

Sorry, meant two tuners. So, the DPH LNB port 1 can go to the DPP44 Sat input and use the two outputs on DPP44 go to the two tuners on the VIP222K? What about the separator?? Eventually want to keep the 4 satellites active using DPH LNB's on WA and EA dishes.
Nothing in this makes sense. You cannot use a 44 switch with a DPH LNBF. And in an EA DPP LNBF, you HAVE to run 2 lines to the 44 Switch

That Adapter mod is really a damage mod since you have to cut off tabs that were never meant to be cut off to fit a bracket that wasn't meant to be with that LNBF
That said, my tech did it and it's been fine for years. NYDutch was probably talking about a nibbler making the mod simple.

That said, my tech did it and it's been fine for years. NYDutch was probably talking about a nibbler making the mod simple.
I know people do it but it's like forcing a round peg in a square hole. I see it in the field and it drives me nuts. For Dutch, it's convenience, I would probably do the same. For a Tech, it's laziness

For a Tech, it's laziness
I specifically asked him to use my 1000.4 dish, so he had help making his decision.

I wanted the 1000.4 to stay where it was since it has more area, and I was having a hell of a time in even moderate rain. It turned out that was because the old setup needed tweaking, and when my tech got done with his "mod", he peaked the dish very well and now my reception hardly ever goes out.

The question is though why does the OP want to use the two EA satellites and two of the WA satellites?
Well, I use both for weather related issues and signal direction issues. Tree leaves in the way on the WA dish. Strong rain storms cause one dish or the other to fade while the other may sometimes work pretty good with strong enough signals. Besides I had the equipment to do so. The VIP222k has more choices to pick up the best signal from the four satellites (61.5, 72, 110, 119). Satellite 61.5 used for local HD channels in my area. I live in middle of Wisconsin.

Well, I use both for weather related issues and signal direction issues. Tree leaves in the way on the WA dish. Strong rain storms cause one dish or the other to fade while the other may sometimes work pretty good with strong enough signals. Besides I had the equipment to do so. The VIP222k has more choices to pick up the best signal from the four satellites (61.5, 72, 110, 119). Satellite 61.5 used for local HD channels in my area. I live in middle of Wisconsin.
On a EA DPH LNB, what is Port 2 used for? I'm also thinking of trying to using the input port of the EA DPH for the WA DPH LNB port 1 output.
Also can't I use EA port 1 to Satellite 1 input on VIP222K and satellite input port 2 going to port 2 of the DPH?

I use both for weather related issues and signal direction issues.
I can vouch for that happening here in northern VA. I had mixed arc on this house for quite a while, and 119/110 would go out first when 65 was still just fine. If the rainstorm ever came into the LOS of the 61.5 dish, then 119/110 would recover.
Also can't I use EA port 1 to Satellite 1 input on VIP222K and satellite input port 2 going to port 2 of the DPH?
I think that would work, but it's much simpler to use a separator. And might I also recommend a DVR to skip commercials. I don't know how you can stand those. And get rid of the DPP44.

Amazon product ASIN B0016HPAAGView: https://smile.amazon.com/Dish-Network-123254-DPP-Separator/dp/B0016HPAAG/

I can vouch for that happening here in northern VA. I had mixed arc on this house for quite a while, and 119/110 would go out first when 65 was still just fine. If the rainstorm ever came into the LOS of the 61.5 dish, then 119/110 would recover.

I think that would work, but it's much simpler to use a separator. And might I also recommend a DVR to skip commercials. I don't know how you can stand those. And get rid of the DPP44.

Amazon product ASIN B0016HPAAGView: https://smile.amazon.com/Dish-Network-123254-DPP-Separator/dp/B0016HPAAG/
Thanks 'THEKRELL' for your reply. Now the question in my 2 dish setup: Would it be possible to take Port 1 of a (WA) DPH and connect it to the input Port of a (EA) DPH and then take Port 1 and run it into a separator for my VIP222K two tuner inputs? I still want to use a 2 dish setup, have been for years. Don't need new receiver for DVR purposes.

Thanks 'THEKRELL' for your reply. Now the question in my 2 dish setup: Would it be possible to take Port 1 of a (WA) DPH and connect it to the input Port of a (EA) DPH and then take Port 1 and run it into a separator for my VIP222K two tuner inputs? I still want to use a 2 dish setup, have been for years. Don't need new receiver for DVR purposes.
Main reason for sticking with the VIP222K: The A/V outputs for the 2nd tuner (SD channels) I feed into a Channnel Plus 3025 modulator to feed other TV's in my house with a UHF remote.. Tuner 1, I use for (HD channels) on my main TV I watch.

Would it be possible to take Port 1 of a (WA) DPH and connect it to the input Port of a (EA) DPH and then take Port 1 and run it into a separator for my VIP222K two tuner inputs? I still want to use a 2 dish setup, have been for years. Don't need new receiver for DVR purposes.
You are most welcome, and "I don't know". Maybe Hipkat can come in here with a definitive answer,. But I thought the input port on all these combination LNB/switches expect to see a single DP LNB, and not another LNB/switch.

On a EA DPH LNB, what is Port 2 used for? I'm also thinking of trying to using the input port of the EA DPH for the WA DPH LNB port 1 output.
The 2nd port is for a 2nd Hopper or a Super Joey, specifically. A separator which I have to assume you already have takes the signal form 1 incoming cable and shares it with both Inputs on the back of the 222. Prior to Separators, the process was to run a dual cable form the LNB to the 2 inputs on the Receivers that were Dual Tuner receivers; 222, 322, 722, 625, 612 and 512's.
Whether it "just works" or not, a DPH LNB is specifically meant for a Hopper 2000, Hopper Sling, Hopper 3 or multiple Wallys in a Commercial application

The 2nd port is for a 2nd Hopper or a Super Joey, specifically. A separator which I have to assume you already have takes the signal form 1 incoming cable and shares it with both Inputs on the back of the 222. Prior to Separators, the process was to run a dual cable form the LNB to the 2 inputs on the Receivers that were Dual Tuner receivers; 222, 322, 722, 625, 612 and 512's.
Whether it "just works" or not, a DPH LNB is specifically meant for a Hopper 2000, Hopper Sling, Hopper 3 or multiple Wallys in a Commercial application
Thanks 'HIPKAT'. Things are starting to get more clearer. Can you answer my post from earlier: Would it be possible to take Port 1 of a (WA) DPH and connect it to the input Port of a (EA) DPH and then take Port 1 and run it into a separator for my VIP222K two tuner inputs? That way I can utilize 4 satellites. I just want to use newer technology outside equipment, that's why DPH's.

Thanks 'HIPKAT'. Things are starting to get more clearer. Can you answer my post from earlier: Would it be possible to take Port 1 of a (WA) DPH and connect it to the input Port of a (EA) DPH and then take Port 1 and run it into a separator for my VIP222K two tuner inputs? That way I can utilize 4 satellites. I just want to use newer technology outside equipment, that's why DPH's.
I think that would work, actually, giving you all 5 sats, but I don't know for sure. I'd like to try it and see what happens sometime. Your better bet would be not using the DPH, which I assume you want for the input, but running a cable from an EA DPP to the input on the WA DPP