Using EIRP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwwbrennan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Canada
Is there a way to theorize an approximate effect using the difference between two EIRP values?

If, for example, a dish is getting an SNR of 80 and a BER of 0 from a satellite reported to have an EIRP value of 42 for the area can an SNR and BER for an adjacent satellite with a reported EIRP of 37 be guessed with any kind of hope of being correct? I am not trying to calculate actual numbers but rather guesstimating the likelihood of capturing a usable signal.

A guess at best...

An EIRP value is an estimation based on a full bandwidth transponder operated at full saturation. Mileage will vary on an EIRP estimate as a full width transponder be rarely used or operated at full saturation. The BER will be influenced by many factors including the bandwidth, FEC, polarity, frequency, etc. . Seldom would you encounter similar signals on adjacent satellites to be provided any comparable data.

Here is a simple Link Budget calculation tool that you might find interesting. http://www.satsig.net/linkbugt.htm

Last edited:
Well Brian that is certainly concise, thank you.

I packed in the calculator after trying to work out antenna G/T dB/K and decided to use the less precise calculation - if it's a lot less I probably won't get it, if it's a little less I might.

Claude Shannon, one of the most under-celebrated scientists of all times, would appear to have a ghostly presence in that calculator. You've got to love a genius who loves his work more than his fame.

Last edited:
Is there a way to theorize an approximate effect using the difference between two EIRP values?

If, for example, a dish is getting an SNR of 80 and a BER of 0 from a satellite reported to have an EIRP value of 42 for the area can an SNR and BER for an adjacent satellite with a reported EIRP of 37 be guessed with any kind of hope of being correct? I am not trying to calculate actual numbers but rather guesstimating the likelihood of capturing a usable signal.

EIRP is an essential tool in determining your ability to receive reception. Both the ITU and the FCC specify the format and method of presenting the data. Those regulatory agencies provide that the dBw data used be submitted using a zero (0) offset for the center point. This makes the maps contour power variances between two EIRP curves valid even when the power level is changed Typically the data is provided for at least the -2,-4,-6,-8,-10,-15, and -20 dBw contours. The peak value is substituted for the zero (0) level when publishing the curves and offsets correspondingly calculated.

If you have a reference signal (you do in your case) and the geographic location of your reference, it does not matter if the transmitter power has been dialed down to a lower level since all calculations are based on an offset value from the center point. For example, if the center point EIRP is reduced by 6 dBw, all of the other contours are also reduced by 6 dbw and the relative difference in dBw values remains constant.

Remember, all values have a logarithmic relationship and a dBw change of 3 represents either double or half power, a dBw change of 6 represents 4 times or 1/4 power, etc.

In your case, your signal at the 42 EIRP map point is about 3.15 times that which you would see at the 37 EIRP location (a change of 5 dbw). And since signal strength is proportional to antenna surface area, you would need an antenna with 3.15 times the surface area to receive an equivalent signal at the 37 site as compared to your 42 site.

nelson61: That's impressive. As the dish size is commited, that seems like I would be trying for a signal of about 30% power of what is being received now or a potential SNR of 24. Good thing it's a hobby and not a life support system.

Thanks
Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.