This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Using my 5X8 MulitSwitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hello Guys,
I need some help with getting my Multi-Switch to work right! I have tried using two new 5x8 Multi-Switches. The first switch is:

SVI 5x8 Trunk Line, has 24VDC Power
LNB-A, 13VDC/0kHz
LNB-A, 18VDC/0kHz
LNB-B, 13VDC/22kHz
LNB-B, 18VDC/22kHz
The other (TERK) has the same setup.

I am using 3ea LNBF’s. I am using four cables coming from the three dishes.
1ea. C-Band GeosatPro (Dual)
2ea. GeosatPro SL1PLL
I am using the GeosatPro MicroHD Box, which is (GREAT)!

The problem is, no matter how I hook up the four cables to the multi-Switch, I can’t get one of the SL1PLL LNB’s to both pick-up the Horizontal side on both dishes. It’s either (Horizontal) on one and (Vertical) on the other. Before I changed out the LNBF’s on the Ku side I was using the dual GeosatPro LNB’s. I get the same problem with either LNBF used. I would appreciate some of your experienced help! I hope it is something silly I am not doing or some setting I have wrong. Thanks! Mean while, I will keep looking for answers!

You MUST use dual-output lnb's with this setup for horizontal/vertical. Separate lnb's for each switch input won't work, as you have discovered. So, you could have a dual output KU lnb on one set (13v/18v), and a dual output c-band lnb on the other set.

Yes the SL2 is a very good LNBF, which as you have already read, you will need or similar.

Okay, I already have two SL2 LNB's that have dual cables ready to use. So I need to place the SL2's on the two smaller Ku sat's. I have only two lines coming back to the house for the Ku side. I will need to combine those four cables with a (switch) so I use the two cables to the house. What type of switch? Is that correct?

I don't mind going out to change back to the SL2 LNB's. And combine the four cables from them to a switch. I don't know what type of switch to use between the LNB's and coming back to the house.? If I get to that point coming back to the house, do I stay with my 5x8 Multi-Switch and where to connect at the Multi-Switch?

Last edited:
Could I use a diseqc( switche 4x1) on each of the SL2 dish cables and use the single cable lead back to the house? Then would I place that end on the LNB using 22kHz sides? Use both C-Band for the LNB non 22 hKz sides?
Wow, it's getting late and I have already taken my sleep time pill. I'll check back later and maybe after work I will change out the LNB's.

Anole, You said I might need (TWO) of my 5X8 Multi-Switces? For the hook ups I would need to know where to connect to!

Last edited:
Should I use a 4x1 switch at the two Ku dishes OR use a 4x4 switch? I will be coming back to the house with two lines. If I use the 4x1 switch does the horizontal on each 4x1 need to be the same hook up?
Yep. Read the link I posted above.

And get some sleep. Yer sounding punchy.

Anole,

First I wanted to let you know that YOUR reference to the earlier post does work and thanks! I had a break in the weather and went to re-do the LNBS's and cables at the dishes. I used the same (one) 4x4 multi-switch as in your diagram. In the house I used (two) 4x1 switches. This works great if anyone was wandering. Before I tried the 4x1 switches, I did everyway possible to use the 5x8 multi-switch. When using the 4x4 multi-switch at the dishes, the 5x8 will not pick-up the signals like the 4x1 does.

So this will work for me! I learned a lot trying all this! Hope this helps someone else has or is planning this type of configuration.

Congratulations!
That old FAQ did its job.

As to your 5x8 switch, could it possibly need external power to work right?
Some do.

Both have external power, Anole. I just couldn't get either to work like the quality and signal strength the 4x1 gives. As times goes on, if I do get it to work, I'll let you know how I did it! Thanks!
Congratulations!
That old FAQ did its job.

As to your 5x8 switch, could it possibly need external power to work right?
Some do.

Hello Guys, I just thought I would give an update to my trying different cable and switch combinations (Its fun to try). I am still working on the 5x8 multi-switch when the weather breaks! I have found that while using the two 4x1 switches in the house will only get me two satellite boxes to use. I did try still using the (Zinwell) 4x4 multi-switch at the ku dishes. That would allow me to use two cables from the dishes to the house and the other are from the C-Band dual lnbf. using the (4) cables to the house now go into the 4x1 switches. Each 4x1 switch has one of each cable from Ku and C-Band. From the receiver connector on the 4x1 switch I have two cables to a (Zinwell) 3x4 multi-switch. All works fine! I did have to go into the satellite settings in the MicroHD and find the right combinations in the port and 22Hkz settings. I guess the main thing here is that it works without any notable decline in signal. By using this type of switching, now I am able to use (4) satellite boxes. I did try a RCA 3x4 and a Radio Shack 3x4 multi-switch I had lying around. These would not work! Only the Zinwell, would only work with the same brand at the dish? Anyway, I just wanted to pass on what I found to work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.