Using My 90cm Dish on Starchoice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clayface1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
I bought a conventional round 90cm dish a few months ago in an effort to restore my 82 degree Expressvu signal into Los Angeles, after the company shifted things around. (Obviously, that didn't work, as the beam moved ever-northward).

Question -- I'm about to switch to Starchoice and I'm wondering if I can use my existing 90cm dish, rather than having a new elliptical dish shipped out. If I can use the existing one, that would be great, as I would save the expense of the new dish, plus high shipping costs from Canada. Also, the dish is already installed! I would just need to repoint.

I realize I would have to switch to a linear LNB, so I think if I were to just point at one satellite, I would be in great shape. However, because there are TWO birds i have to receive, will this dish do the trick for me? I purchased a multi-LNB holder for the dish some months back from the same local dealer where I bought the dish. My thinking at the time was that I might try FTA at some point.

Anyway, I'm confused because I'm not sure if round dishes can only receive one satellite at a time, or if this adapter thing will work? At any rate, because the multi-LNB holder is essentially just a straight rod upon which you can "hang" more than LNB, there's no specific spacing. This also makes me think that aiming at more than one satellite (even if the dish allows me to do this) would be much more difficult than using the regular Starchoice dish, which already has everything precisely configured for its specific use.

Obviously, I'm posting this in the FTA section, as I figured you guys would know this subject much better than those in the Canadian forum...

Thanks for any help or guidance.

As long as the LNBF holder (or Dish) can skew then the 90cm dish would work (depending that you can get the LNB's close enough together)!

Satellite AV have a new skewable holder coming out soon!

Below picture is for different satellites spaced 4º apart.

Attachments

• 4degwith-LNBF_back.jpg
    4degwith-LNBF_back.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 197
Thanks, PSB. I've played around with the multi-LNB adapter, but how do I know how much skew I'm actually applying, without just guessing? I'm used to Dishnetwork/Bell dishes that have degree marking etched on the mount.

This is great -- thanks so much! I just have to figure out the timing, as far getting the new receiver and selling the old one's....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA with audio no video

How is your LOS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts