Using Wi-fi ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hansokl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Atlanta
Hey everyone.. I am thinking about ordering the Wi-fi adapter for my vip 722. What all does this allow me to do? Besides record programming.. Could I watch my programming on my iphone/ipad with the dish app while not at home?
Also, does anyone have the wi-fi adapter and how is the performance?

Thanks up front for any responses. Have a good day!!

An internet connected 722 allows the following:

1: Replaces the phone line for the receiver to "phone home."
2: Allows downloading the Dish On Demand sort-of-kind-of streaming content.
3: Allows you to manage timers and recordings via Dish Remote Access.
4: When combined with the Sling adapter, allows you to view Sling content.

The adapter seemed to work well for my 722 location, but I think performance of the adapter can be a little flaky when compared to other USB adapters I have used. I tested it with my notebook and performance seemed very position dependent and inconsistent, but it could just be issues paired with my particular router.

At Dish's $25 price or about $20 for an ebay refurb it's probably the least expensive way to get the 722 net connected. Set up is easy if you have ever done any wireless networking.

Thanks for your info.. Exactly the info I was looking for. So before I can watch my programming from my phone on the go, I must buy the sling adapter first? I am willing to purchase a more expensive usb wireless if I can get better performance. I unfortunately have DSL and I have the highest package they offer:
FastAccess® DSL Xtreme 6.0
Download speed up to: 6.0 Mbps
Upload speed up to: 512 Kbps

.. How well do you think watching my programming will work? I know it will depend on the connection my phone is using and my connection at home but just asking about my connection at home. What is my best option for best performance when watching programming on my phone? Will buying a higher performing adapter help that much?

thanks again for your reply

There isn't another compatible usb adapter - I wouldn't worry about though. If you get any reasonable connection at all it should be enough to max out your DSL connection.

No idea how well Sling works at 512Kbs. Per the specs you should be fine for the mobile apps, but your certainly not going to get "HD" remotely. Poke around the Sling Adapter pages on the Dish site - there is a link to a connectivity test tool somewhere.

I purchased the "Powerline Broadband Connector" for $30 from Dish to hook up my VIP211K and it works. You just can't use a power strip on the receiver. It says it is compatible with 722 & 722K and if you don't have wireless it's cheaper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)