Utah soccer league hiring security after ref hit

It doesn't really matter what the pre-existing condition of the ref was,the punch either contributed to or pushed the ref over the edge healthwise to die. I'm sure that there will be an autopsy because of the nature of his death. That should clear up some of the questions.

It doesn't really matter what the pre-existing condition of the ref was,the punch either contributed to or pushed the ref over the edge healthwise to die. I'm sure that there will be an autopsy because of the nature of his death. That should clear up some of the questions.

As far as the autopsy goes, that depends on the next of kin, if they say No, its No, they are the ones that would have to pay for it.

Prosecutors in Utah want to charge a teenager as an adult in connection with the death of a soccer referee, the Salt Lake County district attorney's office said Wednesday.

The prosecutors intend to charge the teen with homicide by assault in connection with the May 4 death of 46-year-old referee Ricardo Portillo, the office said.

I agree with this.

Prosecutors want to charge teen as adult in referee's death

Good. And Utah has the death penalty, although I doubt it would be sought in this case.

homicide by assault charge is less serious than manslaughter. It carries up to five years in prison for adults, but penalties can be less for juveniles. Last week I felt 3-5 years would be adequate so I agree with the charge. If he had a clean record before this, he'll likely get a plea of 2-3 years plus 5 years probation.

Pre-existing condition or not, it was a fluke punch and am sure he didnt mean to kill the ref when he swung at him.

Cheers, K