utter Alaska Confusion... aughhh please help : )

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I installed a Dish on 110 today, so now I have these three working: 110 / 119/ 129

All three register fine in check switch.
I am able to see at least some channels from all 3.

I am looking at this page of "The List":

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 110°W

I dont see ANY of these 4300 - 4400 series channels. What gives?
I cant find an HD version of MSNBC either.

I am on silver package plus HD channels.

How can I tell if I'm getting what I should be?

Thanks!!
Mike in Wasilla

Mike, I'm a newbie and certainly no techie - and also struggling since my Dish was just intalled. As far as comparing channels you're receiving to channels included in package, my solution was: Menu: Preferences: Favorites - check "All Sub" (for all subscribed channels) instead of "All Channels": "Done". Then program guide displays only channels you're subscribed to. You can compare that to the Reference Guide, Channels and Packages for the package you subscribed to. Takes some time - since the packages don't list channels by number, so if there's a quicker way to do it I'm interested too!

I installed a Dish on 110 today, so now I have these three working: 110 / 119/ 129

All three register fine in check switch.
I am able to see at least some channels from all 3.

I am looking at this page of "The List":

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 110°W

I dont see ANY of these 4300 - 4400 series channels. What gives?
I cant find an HD version of MSNBC either.

I am on silver package plus HD channels.

How can I tell if I'm getting what I should be?

Thanks!!
Mike in Wasilla

You won't see any of the 4000 series channels, not really sure why but no one sees them that I know of. All our HD channels are in the 5500 and 5600 range. (spotbeams). If you have a 6' dish on 129 you will get the movie channels in the 300 and 9000 ranges. Depending what package you sub to will determine which channels you get. Go to DISH Network - Alaska Programming Packages - 1.888.825.2557 and figure out the channels you should receive. 5608 from Anchorage (NBC) was just uplinked yesterday.

What Red said.

MSNBC isn't in the Alaska HD package.

The channels in the 4300 range are not in the Alaska package as are most of the channels in the 9400 range that you probably see. As Red said with a 6 foot dish other movie channels are available if you subscribe. There are also channels in the guide(MGM) that we could view if Dish allowed us to. I'm hoping at some point that Dish removes the HD packages so that if we can see the channel in the guide we can view it.

OK... confusion... clearing : ) ? maybe?

I see a ton of red channels in my guide. Red could mean "It's on 61.5 and you're not ever getting it." True/False? I was thinking if a channel was in the guide its possible to receive (if subscribed.)

So there is no HD starz or HD cinemax or HD sci or HD natgeo for Alaskans?

I am thinking Americas Everything, or even Gold, holds very little value for Alaskans?

Thanks again
Mike

I see a ton of red channels in my guide. Red could mean "It's on 61.5 and you're not ever getting it." True/False? I was thinking if a channel was in the guide its possible to receive (if subscribed.)

I am thinking Americas Everything, or even Gold, holds very little value for Alaskans?

Thanks again
Mike

Red means you can see it(it's on 110/119/129), but you're not authorized.

The Alaska HD channels are from 5500-5597. If you don't see these then you need to call Dish. If they're red you may need a rehit. 5518 is NatGeo.

If you have a six foot dish pointed at 129 you should get a lot of HD movie channels in the 300 range(they're also in the 9400 range I believe). If you have a smaller dish, you may still see them but won't have enough signal strength to view them.

> Red means you can see it(it's on 110/119/129), but you're not authorized.

I see MSNBC HD in red up in the 9000's... the CSR had me check it over and over while they did things, but it always was a message 013 - not subscribed. How does one get it enabled?

Thanks again
Mike

Did you follow the link I sent? It shows exactly what is available in each package. If you have a 6' dish you can also get the movie channels in the 300 range. Nat geo HD and Sci HD are both in the gold package. I have a 6' dish for 129. I go with americas everything and get them all, plus no DVR fee.

To avoid confusion I hide the channels in red and onlly see those that I can get.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

I see MSNBC HD in red up in the 9000's... the CSR had me check it over and over while they did things, but it always was a message 013 - not subscribed. How does one get it enabled?

It's not part of the Alaska package. It's not because it's probably on 129 and not spotbeamed to Alaska. Until Dish adds it to an Alaska spotbeam or changes the way they do HD we won't get it.

Red included a link to all of the HD channels in the Alaska package. That's what you can expect to get unless they do a free preview of one of the red channels.

Do you have a six foot dish for 129?

I checked mine and MSNBC also shows in red on 9511. It has never been authorized for AK. Now I'll go back and re-hide my red channels.:D

I thought I saw somewhere that Dish was rethinking the way they distribute HD and that there may not be any HD packages in the future. So that if you get MSNBC in your SD package it would be included in your HD package if you can see the channel. That would work really well for us in Alaska since with the larger Dish we would get a lot more HD.

If you don't subscribe to the regional networks, that's a pretty good deal because you'll have access to a lot more HD sports. They don't always have them lit up, but there is enough to make it worth the $5.99 and it includes NFL Redzone.

so even with the "everything package" there would still be locked out red channels for me in the 9000's ?

Yes.

The movie channels in that range will not be red if you subscribe and it sounds like you do. The same channels that are red in that range will be available if Dish has a free preview. That's what kills me, if they were in the clear we could watch them.

What a process... I have several copies of each channel now, like SYFY in 3 locations, I get one with a signal of 90 off of 129, another with a signal of 28 off of 110. I want to get rid of the dupes from my guide. I guess there is no way other than going to point-dish for each channel and seeing which sat and xpndr they are on to find my strongest copies of each channel?

What a process... I have several copies of each channel now, like SYFY in 3 locations, I get one with a signal of 90 off of 129, another with a signal of 28 off of 110. I want to get rid of the dupes from my guide. I guess there is no way other than going to point-dish for each channel and seeing which sat and xpndr they are on to find my strongest copies of each channel?

The ones on 129 will be the strongest.

Look at "The List" tab next to the "Forums" tab. On that screen there is a link at the bottom "Subscription List Home" that will take you to lists for all of Dish's sats.

Everything on 129 is going to be alot stronger than off of 110 since you have the six footer pointing at 129 and it sounds like you have a one meter sharing 110 and 119. As long as a channel is not red it can receive the signal so hiding a good channel isn't really necessary unless that is your preference. You can use SatelliteGuys.US - TheList to see which channels come from which satellite. Alot faster than going to point dish for every channel. :):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)