UVerse shifting background on HD channels

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Hey Uverse users -

I went to an AT&T store tonight to have a demo of Uverse, and I really liked the user interface of the DVR as well as the organization and quantity of on-demand material.

I did notice on the HD channels that the background sort of pulsed and shifted about once or twice per second. It was really noticeable up close, and even at a good distance away from the set it was still noticeable.

Is this a known Uverse issue, or was it a setup problem in the store? I'm not sure I could handle that on a 61" screen if it's the way the HD picture always is.

Sounds like a store setup probelm, I have not encountered that problem with mine at all. I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma just purchased.

Sounds like a store setup probelm, I have not encountered that problem with mine at all. I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma just purchased.

This is what drives me crazy about Uverse. A lot of people say it sucks, and a lot of people say it's just fine. The people who say it's just fine tell the people who think it sucks that it must be a setup problem, and the people who say it sucks accuse the others of being cheerleaders... :)

So, on your 50" set, if you watch, say, SportsCenter, you don't see the colored backgrounds sort of pulsing once or twice per second in a rhythmic beat?

Is your box connected via component cables or HDMI?

Thanks in advance if you feel like replying!

Hey Jeff;

I watch on a 70 inch Sony, and there is no pulsing..
Picture is perfect, and crystal clear..I own 6 HD Tv's now, and I am well versed on all things high tech and video..

the key IS a good installation,, the distance your house is to the VRAD, and how strong your telephone line signal is to your house; they will put a new drop in if they have to, so thats not a problem, if you live in your own house..Apartments and Condo's are a bit different.

The store you went to obviously didn't have things set up properly, but, the truth is, if you get a good install, and a strong signal, the service is very nice.

Am connected to all tv's via HDMI..

I have tv, internet, and home phone, and ALL of these things work very well for me.

Not a fan boy, just telling you how MY installation has been!

Well, I took a look at Uverse at a friend's house on a 55" LCD. I saw the same background compression/pulsing/shifting especially during dark scenes, and colors were really over-saturated on some channels. I didn't notice the background pulsing/shifting much in bright scenes, but it was super-noticeable in darker colors.

So... no Uverse for me. The HD quality is clearly a major step down from Dish. It's not even close at this point.

Too bad... I liked the DVR... SD looked really good... loved the On Demand... the mini-preview of the channel you're tuning to is sweet, as is the super-fast channel changing and the whole-house DVR. But the HD was very poor.

sounds like a simple adjustment of the color saturation and contrast would have fixed that..I noticed that when I switched from Dish to UVerse I had to adjust all my TV's that way to get an awesum picture..
I have 6 HD TV's in my house, and they picture is stunning on all of them..

I have SONYXBR60 bought it last year so my sis…I wants to get Uverse few months ago till I saw it in my sister house Compare to my dishnetwork..U right they not there yet compare to Satellite/HD picture quality! because They so NEW & working on it still
plus none of the HD boxes or DVRS ,u CANNOT plug external hard drive or any connection to it!
But of course they get there maybe a year or so., Then I might think about it…for now stick with dishHD.. we have the BEST!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)