V-Box 6 Connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kjsmith01993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
North Liberty
I tried connecting a JGS motor which has 5 wires to my V-Box 6 with no luck, the wire colors are red, white, green, orange, and brown. I know that the white and red are for power. Which two should go into the sensor ports on the V-Box?

kjsmith01993 said:
I tried connecting a JGS motor which has 5 wires to my V-Box 6 with no luck, the wire colors are red, white, green, orange, and brown. I know that the white and red are for power. Which two should go into the sensor ports on the V-Box?

With the motor cover off. I think the last two terminals are usually the sensor. Usually it's green & orange. Or green & brown Let us know what you have.

I took the cover off and they double stranded the wires, I also greased the gears and freed up the motor. I also have a superjack with the same problems, I'll open that one up once I get the dish up.

"Black is hot and white is not, but green is ground the world around!" Quote from a local electrician I worked for a few years back. ;)

Having said that, green is "usually" GROUND and if you don't have a ground lug on the back of your receiver (my GI 920 DOES BTW) then don't connect it to anything. Like the OP says though, check to see what is connected to what inside the actuator and let us know cuz ppl do some odd sh** sometimes. "Normal" wiring for a dish mover only requires 4 wires, two power and two for reed switch, UNLESS, it's a powered hall effect swtich! In that case there will be a POWERED wire running to that actuator.

Type and pics will help a BUNCH, and BTW, if you put this INFO in your Signature then we won't have to guess what you are using! ;)

Watch out 24-36 vdc is on 2 wires. It is dangerous to touch these 2 wires while the motor is moving! Let pro's on moto's do it if you have not done it before.

Maintenance of a motorized dish is this. Using multi-meter (ohm setting) all wires are disconnected and not touching each other; wires have no shorts!

The 2 wires for a sensor are 5vdc and gnd if "reed switch". The 5vdc wire will short to gnd and go to zero, to make a count when connected to a box. These two (2) wires are normally small 14-20 gauge wires; where as the motor wires are normally heavier, from 10-14 gauge; because they need the gauge they are on. This is a requirement of voltage. The count made from a reed switch is a on/off mechanism of the turning magnet wheel, which rotates a magnet and passes this motion to the magnetism in the reed sw to open and close it; on and off, as a count is returned to the stb as gnd or open! The 5vdc goes to zero, or cannot go to zero, then is the "received" counting (how the stb vbox/gbox/4dtv/ works).

A test of "counting" is taking your voltage/amperage/ohm meter; setting it to medium amps (1); interrupting the return wire with your meter; and seeing the count comeback to the stb.

Another, is by taking the end of the cable that plugs into the motor; and using the two wires that hook up to the reed switch; make a continuos "count" or cadence by shorting/opening over and over again these two wires together short and those two wires open; using meter set to ohm's at other end; watch the shorting/open condition.

In Essence : Each stb does all counting the same; but if reed sw; 2 wires provide count to "normally marked" "sense/sen, 5vdc" for a second and "gnd/ground". These two wires must never be connected to any other wire; ever; or the stb box breaks and does not count ever again! this is what is important...and if you plug 12vdc from count circuit of stb u break the reed sw!
And if you have a optical sensor, you need 12vdc/sense/gnd (three wires; 12v power; sense; and ground); it is optical, and motor will not work with the cover off)...and if they are plugged in in-correctly; you can break the stb, box and sensor...On a optical sensor, the 12 vdc provide power to a laser, in the little black box that envelops a small horseshoe area. This is a light; and when the wheel turns; many open/closed conditions happen to the light, run on 12vdc. One wire is the sense or 5vdc end of the light mechanism, and opens/closes when lit or un-lit. Another is the return (part that shorts wire), or ground/gnd; this is tied to a stb's gnd/ground. When the sense/5vdc at the stb/box goes to Ground condition; a count is registered in stb is "how it works"...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts