V Box/GBox difference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I'm looking to put a 24" accuator etc... on my 8.5 Paraclipse dish and I've seen V boxes for $30. What's the difference between a V Box and Gbox? I don't need nothing fancy. Thanks Blind

This is just my opinion.....
Quality and Pulse Counts
GBox is made better, and "feels" twice the pulse counts.
When I had a VBox, resets were fairly common, and accuracy for Ku was marginal.

Lak7, Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for anything fancy so long as its reliable. This is my back up dish so I won't be moving it often but it would be nice to be able to. I manually move the 6 foot Fortec dish which is a piece of cake thanks to all my markings with a sharpie pen lol. I look forward to not spending as much time this coming winter outside if ya know what I mean, Blind

Get the G Box, I have the V box and its very common that I have to adjust the positions. This is with a brand new motor and no slop in the mechanical parts. Sadoun did not have the G box when I needed one. May getting a G box soon here, tired of the constant position reprogramming/adjustments I have to make.

I have 2 Vbox 6's. Had them for a couple of months now and haven't had to reset or bump the dish once. I bought them because of budget reasons but couldn't be more pleased.

Get the G Box, I have the V box and its very common that I have to adjust the positions. This is with a brand new motor and no slop in the mechanical parts. Sadoun did not have the G box when I needed one. May getting a G box soon here, tired of the constant position reprogramming/adjustments I have to make.
@FTAsquirrel

Which VBox do you have? the 3 or the 5?

@Pismire
Glad to hear that the VBox 6 is working out for you. At less then $50 it's tempting to cheap out.

what I recall:

I thought the differences were pretty well hashed out in the Gbox review that Linuxman did.
In looking up the link for the above review, I see he also did a review of the Vbox 2, a few years earlier.

I'll refer you to those two reviews and the links given above by others, but I do recall that -some- models of the Vbox were pretty unreliable.
Which ones, I don't recall.
But I think there were Vbox 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, and 5's.
So, don't assume they are interchangeable.

But, after hashing out how the Gbox worked and talking to Linuxman during his evaluation, I was certainly impressed with the Gbox.
And I ordered one earlier this year.
The double-counts provided by using reed switch opening and closing, boosts the positioning resolution.
This can't hurt on BUDs running Ku.
I'd suspect it would help on small Ku dishes run by "actuators" or "jacks", as well as H-H BUD-movers like the AJAK series.

As discussed elsewhere, if you have sloppy mechanics the Gbox can't work miracles, of course. :rolleyes:
But, there are a lot of BUD mounts 'n motors that are quite tight, and for them, and especially for Ku, the Gbox is unsurpassed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.