Vacation Property and Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

canadaguy111

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
canada
Hello, I live in Canada and bought a vacation property in Florida and would like to have Direct TV service. The problem is that I dont have a US credit card. Do you know if they will accept a Canadian credit card for the subscription? I have tried to call several times and just get a busy signal so I thought that I'd try to get an answer on this forum. Thanks for your help.

you cant call the toll free number from Canada (at least last I heard)

Why not get a pre-paid US credit card (one of those loadable ones from Wal-Mart)? I dont think they will accept a Canadian CC (the first 4 numbers is what distinguishes if its a US or Canadian CC)

Thanks Iceberg I will try that... one thought is if they will accept this because it is reloadable and they will not know whether there is money on the card or not? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks Iceberg I will try that... one thought is if they will accept this because it is reloadable and they will not know whether there is money on the card or not? Or am I missing something here?

as long as its a credit card they dont know or care how much is on it. If it bounces (declined) they'll shut ya off

The credit card should be the least of your worries. Im more concerned with you passing the credit check, as you need a us SSN, and have to have credit history to be able to pass.
Claude has hit the nail on the head. They want to see your credit report (at least they did for me) and that takes a US SSN. You may be able to work with a local installer in Florida. But, I doubt you will get anything accomplished over the phone with DirecTV.

Hello, I live in Canada and bought a vacation property in Florida and would like to have Direct TV service. The problem is that I dont have a US credit card. Do you know if they will accept a Canadian credit card for the subscription? I have tried to call several times and just get a busy signal so I thought that I'd try to get an answer on this forum. Thanks for your help.

Can you open a US Credit Card while in Florida ?
If your actually Living in Florida for any amount of time, your gonna need currency of some time in the US.
Open a bank account in Florida and they also open a CC with them.

I think it may be very difficult to open a US bank account because I dont have a US SSN. I didnt want to look into Dish because I prefer the Direct TV lineup maybe I have no choice.

US or Canadian currency would not be a problem with a credit card but the credit check would be. Good luck.

By law your Social Security card is not supposed to be used for ID. No commercial establishment can force you to produce a card or provide your SS#.

Since Direct won't be able to to do a credit check they may require you to provide a large deposit and/or purchase your own equipment to reduce their financial exposure. They can also decline to provide service.

The DirecTV site does not make you enter a SSN to sign up, but without it you will have to pay a deposit.

I would just pay the deposit, because even if you go though the trouble of getting a non work eligible SSN you won't have any US credit and they'll charge you a deposit anyway.

BTW, the Walmart Money Card REQUIRES a SSN to make it reloadable. Most of the major "Re-loadable" cards require them because they are practically considered bank accounts and have routing/account numbers associated with them.

You're going to need to get a pre paid gift card, most of them max at $100 but I think I've seen some that go to $500. You could initially get the walmart money card, you'll be able to use the balance of what you initially put on it but won't be able to reload without giving SSN to order a permanent pressed card.

As for a US phone number for the account, http://voice.google.com

So when you come to the US, sign up online without giving SSN and pay the $300 ish deposit with a pre paid card.

As far as ongoing payments, I would try using your Canadian card to pay it and say a friend in Canada is paying the bill if there is a problem.

Then there is the CONUS part of the Directv service. Continental United States. You gonna have a Directv tech from Detroit get a passport to come out and repoint your dish? I don't think Directv will knowingly schedule an installation in Canada or send an invoice there.

Joe

Joe Diamond said:
Then there is the CONUS part of the Directv service. Continental United States. You gonna have a Directv tech from Detroit get a passport to come out and repoint your dish? I don't think Directv will knowingly schedule an installation in Canada or send an invoice there.

Joe
I'm ASSUMING he wants it just in his Florida home but I could be wrong

I think it may be very difficult to open a US bank account because I dont have a US SSN. I didnt want to look into Dish because I prefer the Direct TV lineup maybe I have no choice.

Have you tried before ?

If , for example you live in Canada for 6 months and Florida for 6 months, you would need US currency, you would thionk that a back would understand that type of thing.

Joe

I'm ASSUMING he wants it just in his Florida home but I could be wrong

Thats what I was thinking as well.

They asked for a ssn # from me right away to do a credit check and a credit card # we have a Wells Fargo account for many years now ,not sure if they accept Canadian cards. They will be swamped this year with calls from Canadians since Bell has no signal in the south, good luck .

But Shaw Direct has signal in the South so people are more likely to move to Shaw..
They asked for a ssn # from me right away to do a credit check and a credit card # we have a Wells Fargo account for many years now ,not sure if they accept Canadian cards. They will be swamped this year with calls from Canadians since Bell has no signal in the south, good luck .

DirecTV absolutely will accept a Canadian credit card. Being a duel citizen I have both and had some issues back in 11 with some fraudulent charges on my Chase visa so I temporarily had to use my Canadian visa with DirecTV and they could of cared less.

To Canada Guy, we have gone through this excpet for direct tv. It takes a bit of work but you should get there. We have established an account with Qwest now century link for internet and a US apple id and various us retail credit accounts such as Macy's. If you have a US bank account, try your bank card. Let me know how it goes as we may try Direct TV as well. Costco has a good deal right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)